android
  #141  
Old 09-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Lorenz092 Lorenz092 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Italy
Posts: 449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrixx View Post
Something strange is happening with my R0 Its default UI is a bit ugly so I replaced some bitmaps (mostly battery/playback icons) and changed font to Franklin Gothic. Everything was fine until I tried to change wallpaper (Sysdata\Image\02_mainmenu\02_myskin\02_01_back.jp g). Now I've got that freaking-the-shit-out-of-me System Checking on every startup, lolz. Trying to delete Sysdata folder and see what's happening
Uhm...keep us updated!!! Otherwise if you still face the issue, just write down here the exact steps for having it, so I can debug it too hehe

ps: if do something nice, please share with us your icons
__________________
Check out my modded firmware both for YP-R0 and YP-R1!!!
** DONATE ** -> https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=K658CHJKX2X8C
NOTE: if you want to donate for Rockbox itself and not my work, go to their website!!
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #142  
Old 09-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Jon_B Jon_B is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 47
Default

I've had to turn the downclocking off as it was degrading the sound even with all DNSe etc turned off.

Every couple of minutes the sound was very briefly interupted with a "click" and the stereo image shifted to one side before recovering. It was very brief but very distracting.

It didn't seem to be linked to the actual music playing as it didn't happen in the same place each time.

The effect has disappeared since I turned the downclocking off.
Reply With Quote

  #143  
Old 09-19-2011, 07:25 PM
lebellium's Avatar
lebellium lebellium is offline
Samsung Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,611
Default

Hum
What format and bitrate?

I noticed at 200MHz, DNSe ON and display OFF there is no jerky sound with WMA and FLAC files contrary to MP3 (and OGG) files. Doesn't sound logical to me since FLAC should be more difficult to decode than MP3 but well...that's Samsung

But that's interesting, that means users listening to WMA or FLAC files with DNSe should enjoy better battery life hehe
__________________
I'm French^^ *GenerationMP3 Samsung Moderator*
Reply With Quote

  #144  
Old 09-20-2011, 03:16 AM
Jon_B Jon_B is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
What format and bitrate?
MP3, 192 kbs.

I listened to two CDs worth of music and the effect was frequent throughout. I then turned the downclocking off and listened to one of them again and it played perfectly.
Reply With Quote

  #145  
Old 09-20-2011, 06:26 AM
Lorenz092 Lorenz092 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Italy
Posts: 449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Hum
What format and bitrate?

I noticed at 200MHz, DNSe ON and display OFF there is no jerky sound with WMA and FLAC files contrary to MP3 (and OGG) files. Doesn't sound logical to me since FLAC should be more difficult to decode than MP3 but well...that's Samsung

But that's interesting, that means users listening to WMA or FLAC files with DNSe should enjoy better battery life hehe
hoho that's interesting...for the more complex deconding, well, flac should be a way easier I guess, but for WMA I'm not sure. Maybe they use an optimized decoder!
The thing that's odd is the display: when it turns off, jerky sound appears. I guess R0 application puts cpu in another state, like a "even lower power mode" bah

anyway interesting :
__________________
Check out my modded firmware both for YP-R0 and YP-R1!!!
** DONATE ** -> https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=K658CHJKX2X8C
NOTE: if you want to donate for Rockbox itself and not my work, go to their website!!
Reply With Quote

  #146  
Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 AM
fireandfuel fireandfuel is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany, Berlin
Posts: 15
Default

I follow this project for a while. It's interesting what's already done at the modded firmware.
I primary bought my r0 to listen to ogg/vorbis and flac files, because I dislike MP3 and WMA files (I'm a Linux user ).

For me it's crucial that ogg/vorbis and flac files are played without problems.
Downclocking the CPU is a good feature. I think a dynamic CPU clocking is much better.

Does modfirm 2.20 include a better German translation/localization?

Is it possible to display album cover from a png/jpg picture in the folder there the music file is?

My folder/file hierarchy looks like this:
Code:
Music
|- artist
   |- album
      |- music files
      |- cover.png or cover.jpg
Reply With Quote

  #147  
Old 09-20-2011, 08:42 AM
lebellium's Avatar
lebellium lebellium is offline
Samsung Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandfuel View Post
For me it's crucial that ogg/vorbis and flac files are played without problems.
Downclocking the CPU is a good feature. I think a dynamic CPU clocking is much better.
Dynamic you mean variable? It can only be 200, 400 or 532MHz but normally there is no problem at 200MHz with FLAC files. Try it and give us your feedback.

Quote:
Does modfirm 2.20 include a better German translation/localization?
No, otherwise it would be written in the readme file.
But you can download the new german txt file separately http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...&postcount=127
Will be included in next firmware.

Quote:
Is it possible to display album cover from a png/jpg picture in the folder there the music file is?
No it's not possible.

As already said thousand times, we cannot modify the R0 application so no improved and new features, no new settings, no new formats supported etc.

Most of what can be done has already been done. Maybe you can still expect a better microSD integration and shortened sleep mode but not much more than that.
For the rest cross the fingers for the Rockbox port.
__________________
I'm French^^ *GenerationMP3 Samsung Moderator*
Reply With Quote

  #148  
Old 09-20-2011, 10:47 AM
fireandfuel fireandfuel is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany, Berlin
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Dynamic you mean variable?
Exactly. Video playback needs much CPU power. It's nice when the cpu clock increases automatically to 532MHz when you need it, otherwise run with 200 MHz when you don't need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
But you can download the new german txt file separately http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...&postcount=127
Will be included in next firmware.
I translate it on my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
No it's not possible.
That's bad.
I hope the guys from rockbox will have a port this player in future.
Reply With Quote

  #149  
Old 09-20-2011, 11:11 AM
inkinx inkinx is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 37
Default

thx for the Font-hints! I'm using Bodoni (too heavy), Kartika & Love Parade for now, I'll try the other later on
the FM playing time at 200 MHz seems slightly improved, now should be around 18+ hr against previous 16 hr at 500 MHz.
No new syscheck on reboot or other issues.

Great!
Reply With Quote

  #150  
Old 09-20-2011, 02:20 PM
inkinx inkinx is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 37
Default

partial update - syscheck on safemod load; after that syscheck again on boot, then very frequent shut-downs in FM (with syschecks) & another syschecks on power-off/on

tried a go around (seems works): partial shut-down/on from FM, complete shut-down/on then.

now seems everything works fine again, coloured batt back here & no annoying start sounds & co
Reply With Quote

  #151  
Old 09-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Appick's Avatar
Appick Appick is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: France
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Hum
What format and bitrate?

I noticed at 200MHz, DNSe ON and display OFF there is no jerky sound with WMA and FLAC files contrary to MP3 (and OGG) files. Doesn't sound logical to me since FLAC should be more difficult to decode than MP3 but well...that's Samsung

But that's interesting, that means users listening to WMA or FLAC files with DNSe should enjoy better battery life hehe
That's why I wasn't getting jerky sound - I was only listening to Flac!!
__________________
Appick
Reply With Quote

  #152  
Old 09-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Lorenz092 Lorenz092 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Italy
Posts: 449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkinx View Post
partial update - syscheck on safemod load; after that syscheck again on boot, then very frequent shut-downs in FM (with syschecks) & another syschecks on power-off/on

tried a go around (seems works): partial shut-down/on from FM, complete shut-down/on then.

now seems everything works fine again, coloured batt back here & no annoying start sounds & co
Uhm I didn't understand much, but in safe mode DON'T forget to safely remove drive (especially on linux systems!!!)

Otherwise thanks for the "thanks" and for your benchmarks.

A question! How's working video mode with 200 MHz on and with/wo DNSe activated? Did you see improved battery life?
I still need to benchmark it lol
__________________
Check out my modded firmware both for YP-R0 and YP-R1!!!
** DONATE ** -> https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=K658CHJKX2X8C
NOTE: if you want to donate for Rockbox itself and not my work, go to their website!!
Reply With Quote

  #153  
Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 AM
inkinx inkinx is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 37
Default

hi Lorenzo!
I always remove safely the usb dev. What happens here: the syscheck (always) starts whet the "back" is pressed on the first samsung screen. If I continue holding it down, the safemode starts after syscheck has been performed. But now, often, YPR0 launches the syscheck also on simple switch-on (after a switch-off).

I remember somebody with the same (?) problem here:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...t=64236&page=5
Reply With Quote

  #154  
Old 09-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Lorenz092 Lorenz092 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Italy
Posts: 449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkinx View Post
hi Lorenzo!
I always remove safely the usb dev. What happens here: the syscheck (always) starts whet the "back" is pressed on the first samsung screen. If I continue holding it down, the safemode starts after syscheck has been performed. But now, often, YPR0 launches the syscheck also on simple switch-on (after a switch-off).

I remember somebody with the same (?) problem here:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...t=64236&page=5
Uhm still a mistery for me...trust me: I've flashed R0 at least 200 times, tested it, stressed it, without telling me anything bad!!
Bah I don't understand, I hope it will happen to me in order to debug this.
System check happens when a drive is not correctly mounted/unmounted or the device was reading/writing while being resetted, so i really don't understand.
__________________
Check out my modded firmware both for YP-R0 and YP-R1!!!
** DONATE ** -> https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=K658CHJKX2X8C
NOTE: if you want to donate for Rockbox itself and not my work, go to their website!!
Reply With Quote

  #155  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Jon_B Jon_B is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
System check happens when a drive is not correctly mounted/unmounted or the device was reading/writing while being resetted, so i really don't understand.
If I turn mine off by holding for the full five seconds then it does a System Check almost every time I turn it back on. It was the same with the previous hacked version as well.

It doesn't happen if I just turn it off with a short press on the button.
Reply With Quote

  #156  
Old 09-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Lorenz092 Lorenz092 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Italy
Posts: 449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post
If I turn mine off by holding for the full five seconds then it does a System Check almost every time I turn it back on. It was the same with the previous hacked version as well.

It doesn't happen if I just turn it off with a short press on the button.
Ah ok! So that's normal, I tough you were getting this problem also if don't turning it completely off.
And, yes, it could be that R0 need a bit more time to shut down (more probably with 200 mhz patch). Just press a bit the button to start the shutdown, then release it and hold it again till is off
Please, be detailed with problems
__________________
Check out my modded firmware both for YP-R0 and YP-R1!!!
** DONATE ** -> https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=K658CHJKX2X8C
NOTE: if you want to donate for Rockbox itself and not my work, go to their website!!
Reply With Quote

  #157  
Old 09-24-2011, 06:05 AM
Jon_B Jon_B is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 47
Default

I've been doing some more tests on the effects on the sound quality of turning on the downclocking. All my sound settings on the RO are set to normal with no DNSe.

As I mentioned before with the downclocking turned on and when playing an MP3 file I get occasional disruption of the sound with a sharp "crack" noise and the stereo image shifts. The stereo image doesn't always recover for a few seconds but it's usually a very brief interruption to the playback.

I've tried MP3 files sampled at different rates but it makes no difference even with files sampled at very low rates the effect is still there.

The interruption is not linked to the actual music playing and happens in different places when I play the track again.

However the more I listen I realise that there is also a subtle effect on the sound quality which is linked to the music playing as some high notes will "ring" in a way that they don't with the downclocking turned off.

I'm leaving the downclocking turned off, except for Audio Books where it doesn't matter, as the sound quality definitely suffers.
Reply With Quote

  #158  
Old 09-24-2011, 07:41 AM
Lorenz092 Lorenz092 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Italy
Posts: 449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post
I've been doing some more tests on the effects on the sound quality of turning on the downclocking. All my sound settings on the RO are set to normal with no DNSe.

As I mentioned before with the downclocking turned on and when playing an MP3 file I get occasional disruption of the sound with a sharp "crack" noise and the stereo image shifts. The stereo image doesn't always recover for a few seconds but it's usually a very brief interruption to the playback.

I've tried MP3 files sampled at different rates but it makes no difference even with files sampled at very low rates the effect is still there.

The interruption is not linked to the actual music playing and happens in different places when I play the track again.

However the more I listen I realise that there is also a subtle effect on the sound quality which is linked to the music playing as some high notes will "ring" in a way that they don't with the downclocking turned off.

I'm leaving the downclocking turned off, except for Audio Books where it doesn't matter, as the sound quality definitely suffers.
Thanks for the report. It is very useful to us to improve the downclock tool
Actually, Pietro and me (vannilinux on HW Update Italian Forum) are working to improve it in an effective way (while a certain song type is played or when the cpu load reach 100% or so, it's better to set 532 mhz, in other situation may be better to return again to 200 and so on hehe)
__________________
Check out my modded firmware both for YP-R0 and YP-R1!!!
** DONATE ** -> https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=K658CHJKX2X8C
NOTE: if you want to donate for Rockbox itself and not my work, go to their website!!
Reply With Quote

  #159  
Old 09-24-2011, 09:46 AM
slade slade is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 118
Default

compile cpufreq and govenor as module, saves you the work
Reply With Quote

  #160  
Old 09-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Lorenz092 Lorenz092 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Italy
Posts: 449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slade View Post
compile cpufreq and govenor as module, saves you the work
Indeed. But R0 app modifies it continuously
Both governor are already implemented! Uhm...

edit: anyway, slade, some news for rockbox?
The most annoying part should be the creation of a new target, taking out from SDL port only the graphical code (that's working pretty good) and rewrite the input part that for some mysterious causes works only with the power key!!!

edit2: for the kernel issue I was just thinking about enabling the feature to load a new kernel on the fly. In this way, if RB is started, we keep the modded kernel. Else, it will load the original one in order to start correctly the R0 application without any issue...
__________________
Check out my modded firmware both for YP-R0 and YP-R1!!!
** DONATE ** -> https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=K658CHJKX2X8C
NOTE: if you want to donate for Rockbox itself and not my work, go to their website!!
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
hack, hacking, mod, r0, samsung, yp-r0

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.