android
Old 07-10-2011, 08:38 AM

Help Cant decide- J3 or X7

Hi so I currently have an ipod nano (8g), and since I got a pair of Shure 530s I wanted a good player as well. My current music library is well over 8g (around 50 gb), and I cant decide if I should get a 32gb J3 with a 32gb micro SD card or an X7. I have heard much better things about the J3 than the X7, but I find it hard to pay $267 for a J3 when for $14 more on amazon I can get 160gb of space. I originally thought I needed the extra space but the X7 is a bit bulky, even though I mostly use it in my house, and seldomly carry it outside my house. Additionally I may remove some of my songs, since I dont listen to all of them and they are just taking up space. I download all my music in FLAC as well if that makes a difference.
Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Wait what.......

Old 07-10-2011, 11:39 AM

I was just asking how people would rate the 2, and how good their experiences were

Old 07-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

musichound loves his X7, maybe he'll drop by and give you his impressions. What I know is that the J3 has a better screen (and is capacitive instead of resistive), but the screen on the X7 is still fairly responsive despite being resistive.

As far as resolution goes, they both have the same resolution, but with the J3 having a one inch smaller screen, it'll look nicer. Though, if you're only using it for music, you're probably fine with either.

They both have ridiculously good battery life, the X7 has more music playing time, the J3 has more video time.

They both have external speakers. They both have BBE. Blah, blah, blah...

Basically, they're both great players on paper. If you don't mind the resistive touch screen and the larger-ness of the X7, the 14 bucks might be worth the 96GB extra of storage, especially if your collection is growing. The J3's got a better screen, but less storage, and 64GB is the max it'll do. I'd hate to outgrow that space after throwing down that much mulah.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Both are excellent - but the J3 is the lighter weight & more mobile dap, while the X7 is the heavy HDD rockin' brick. I didn't get the X7 myself due to the size/weight factor,...I complain about the heft of my classic (I use it at home), so I doubt something even heavier would work for me. IMO, YMMV.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
They both have external speakers. They both have BBE. Blah, blah, blah...

Old 07-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Alright, alright, don't take my blah blahing to mean that it's boring or unimportant, it's just that it's the same great Cowon sound and enhancements on each, and unimportant as far as comparison goes. Happy?

Old 07-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I was actually agreeing.

As far as comparisons for the two as the others I'd say the main thing is "size" and that im guessing annoying screen. Also if you have a small mp3 do want to lug around a bigger one and vice versa.

Will this be in a backpack or will you constantly want to pull it out and fiddle with it.

I can't possibly see myself pulling out a ipad to change songs. Your preference may differ.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

4.3" is hardly a tablet, but yes, I understand what you're saying and I absolutely agree.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:22 PM

Ok thanks guys I finally decided on getting the J3.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats post impressions when you receive.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

I had both the X7 and j3, and did a side by side comparison. I chose the X7 because of the larger size and the sturdiness of the player; it seems to be built like a brick shit house. Besides, I have a nice capacitive player as in the name of the iPod Touch. The J3 is so responsive I was making too many mistakes when choosing selections, but thanks to the larger size of the X7 my mistakes are much more minimal. Maybe if the screen size of the J3 were a bit larger, I wouldn't be making as many mistakes. Both players sound identical. So you need to ask yourself what's more important to you. The size and ruggedness of the X7, or the nimbleness of the J3. both are excellent players IMO so you will need to make the final decision.

Lastly, if you plan to use a Mac to transfer data, stay away from both players!

Last edited by musichound; 07-14-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:35 PM

Sorry if this sounds rude, but when it's not about storage space, the J3's capacitive AMOLED screen sure beats the X7's resistive TFT by miles. Now I haven't tried the X7 myself, but i have a dozen other Cowon players with resistive screens (including the O2, which very likely has the exact same screen as the X7), and they all utterly suck compared to the J3. Musichound might perhaps need some time getting used to the J3, but its screen sure is vastly superior in every aspect to any resistive screen device.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

DFKT is correct on this. There's no comparison between the two players for video or other graphics. The J3 even has deeper blacks than the iPod Touch 4G. However the X7 was most suitable for my needs. I had the J3 for several weeks, but I still couldn't get used to the interface. Of course, you milage will vary.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If I were in the market for a new player right now, the J3 would be my top choice. Congrats, hope you like it.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:21 PM

Ok so I finally got my J3 a few days ago
Overall I really like it. The screen and music quality are great, and im still getting used to the interface and loading music, but it doesn't look that complicated. At one point I got scared because the screen froze and I thought it got bricked . But then I pressed the reset button and it was ok again . I will probably end up getting a 32gb micro sd card next because I am running out of space. I am thinking a class 4 or so but would it matter if it was a 2 or 6?

Old 07-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It only matters if you plan to use a separate card reader to load the card before you put it in the J3. As far as playback with the J3, class 2 is just fine.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats Teddy.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:35 PM

Oh and one more thing. To put songs on a micro sd card would I have to put it directly in the computer or in the J3 and then connect it to the computer?

Old 07-18-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy25 View Post
Oh and one more thing. To put songs on a micro sd card would I have to put it directly in the computer or in the J3 and then connect it to the computer?
You can do it either way:

(1) insert SDHC card into a USB reader, and then plug the USB reader into the PC where a Windows drive letter gets assigned, copy files from PC to card drive letter (through the reader); then "safely remove hardware", disconnect the reader from the PC, remove the SDHC card from the reader, and insert into the J3, boot the J3, etc., etc.

(2) insert the SDHC card directly into the J3, and then plug the J3 into the PC where TWO Windows drive letters will get assigned (one for the internal J3 storage, and a second for the external SDHC card); then copy files from PC to either internal J3 storage drive letter or external SDHC card drive letter; then "safely remove hardware", disconnect the J3 from the PC, and boot the J3, etc.

The only difference is perhaps one of speed copying huge amounts of data to the card. Generally, external USB readers are faster than the J3 and can thus utilize the additional speed of a Class 4 or Class 6 external card if you've bought one. The J3 is a bit slower, more like Class 2 speed for writing to the external card (even if your card is potentially faster). Internal J3 storage is more like Class 6.

But once this one-time copy-file job is finished, your typical subsequent music-maintenance work is much smaller in size and you'll probably never see the difference as significant.