android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 07-09-2011, 10:29 PM

Default Looking for quality headphones I can use around campus

I'm looking for a good pair of headphones. I'm comfortable paying around 70 but would go up to 100 if the sound quality is really worth it. I'll be using them a lot while riding my bike around campus this year, so they need to sound good while I'm moving around and in the wind. They also need to be built well as the last few headphones I've had blew speakers within a year and I'm so sick of that And they need to be isolating enough to keep out the general cacophony of a college campus.

As far as stuff I listen to: Daft Punk, Beatles, Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, The Kooks, White Stripes, Gaslight Anthem, Regina Spektor, Apostle of Hustle, Beck, Less than Jake, Ramones, Dead Kennedys, The Doors, The Eagles, Elton John, Flaming Lips, Marvin Gaye, Foals, Frightened Rabbits, Iron and Wine, Morning Benders, Mumford and Sons, Neutral Milk Hotel, Oasis, Pink Floyd, Ra Ra Riot, Red Hot Chilipeppers, The Killers, The Weakerthans, The Weepies, Some Regge, Rap, Soul and jazz and a bit of classical. Basically a lot of rock and punk derivatives/singer-songwriters with a lot of piano, sax, brass and string instruments

Edit: will be using the Sansa Fuze Rockboxed if that factors in.

Last edited by Mr. mister; 07-10-2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: specify player

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-10-2011, 09:02 AM

The best budget portable close headphone I have heard is Sony MDR V500 DJ.

Best tho is if you go to shops and try out yourself. I read a lot of recommendations and reviews on the web but at the end of the day the only opinion that matters is yours.

Usually Grado is recommended for rock music but grado is open and personally I would only get Grade 225+. Only other 'forward like' close headphone I know is Superlux 662 but think you'll look like a weirdo wearing it outdoors 'cos it is huge.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:25 AM

A commonly recommended phone in your price range and for your needs is the akg k518dj. You simply can't go wrong with it, and it wipes the floor with the aforementioned Sony as well (Sony's consumer phones are mediocre at best).

With this said, if you'll be cycling in these, you might consider an open can as well... You won't get the isolation but perhaps it might save your life as you'll be able to hear the approaching cars

Old 07-10-2011, 09:50 AM

hey don't go too overboard with your superlatives. there ain't no wiping the floor of the sony headphones. Sony headphones are quite rated. it is just cheapo sony phones that are crap. don't lump them all together.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:16 AM

Any particular reason to go for headphones over IEM's or earbuds?

Old 07-10-2011, 10:17 AM

With all due respect, I couldn't find a single positive review of these particular Sony cans from any respectable source (Amazon and Walmart don't count), whereas the AKGs are nearly universally praised at Head-Fi and here as well.

Check out this thread for example: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...r-akg-k-518-dj

I'm no enemy of Sony, I like their studio monitors. Its their consumer cans that tend to have issues.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Any particular reason to go for headphones over IEM's or earbuds?
I go for headphones because you get a bit of soundstage and I think you can get more bang for buck in terms of SQ.

With iem you get more detail but no soundstage. Like the music is right next to your ears.

It just depends which one you prefer. Also I just don't like having things in my ear either.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
With all due respect, I couldn't find a single positive review of these particular Sony cans from any respectable source (Amazon and Walmart don't count), whereas the AKGs are nearly universally praised at Head-Fi and here as well.

Check out this thread for example: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...r-akg-k-518-dj

I'm no enemy of Sony, I like their studio monitors. Its their consumer cans that tend to have issues.
If you are talking about Head-fi, the thread you want to look at on headphone reviews are jokers thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...55-added-06-06

I prefer the V500 DJ over the V700 DJ.

Not saying AKG is not good either but think wiping the floor is just a bit of an overstatement. Most headphones apart from Beats and Skullcandys are pretty much on par with each other and just depend on personal tastes.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:04 AM

To specify; is there any reason the OP wants headphones over IEM's or earbuds. Full size cans are hardly my first choice for sports or on the go listening. They give up a too much mobility for that little extra firepower.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:15 AM

oh sorry thought you were asking a question. Just think it just depend on personal choice.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
To specify; is there any reason the OP wants headphones over IEM's or earbuds. Full size cans are hardly my first choice for sports or on the go listening. They give up a too much mobility for that little extra firepower.
Not all headphones are full size cans. There's an entire sub category of portable headphones that offer a combination of good sound and portability. The AKG k518dj are a good example of just that. They fold to a very small size but still have very good bass that doesn't smother the upper frequencies. I got mine for under $60 and would recommend them easily for portable use. They're actually closer to $50 today (July 10, 2011) on Amazon.

Just looking at the OPs original post they really didn't specify a preference in form factor. It would be best if they said just which type they are looking for when they post again.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Also walking around with humongous headphones on my head is not my idea of comfortable.

I use Hd650's at home and Atrio Mg7 out and as of now SonyEx1000/SM3.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
*snipped for brevity*
Just looking at the OPs original post they really didn't specify a preference in form factor. It would be best if they said just which type they are looking for when they post again.
That was what I was going for with my first post in this thread (with a few buzzwords thrown in to avoid any semantics problems).

You are of course correct that not all headphones are full size cans though I would rate them almost as low on the portability scale for my purposes. One fits in a pocket while the other requires a bag.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
Also walking around with humongous headphones on my head is not my idea of comfortable.

I use Hd650's at home and Atrio Mg7 out and as of now SonyEx1000/SM3.
Heh, I have the Audio Technica ATH AD 700 in my collection. Definitely NOT portable. I will wear my Senn HD 280 in the winter though. Best sounding earmuffs I have. They fit in a bag but portable they ain't.

Thanks for the heads up on that,sideways. Sometimes, subtle gets lost on the internets.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I own Sony higher-end cans (MDR-V6 & MDR-V900HD), and the things are decent at best. I'd say go for the AKG cans (I have a set on the way), or a set of Sennheiser HD202's,...cheap & damn good sound quality. The Sennheiser HD280's sound good as well,...not bad for the price at all (yes, I've owned BOTH as well).

Last edited by The DarkSide; 07-10-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Definitely NOT portable.
I think it just all depends on the person and where they will be going I'd hope there not going to workout that is.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:58 PM

Oh man now I feel bad. I just use headphones as a general term. Any thing I can use on my bike will work. I was actually expecting IEMs/earbuds. Sorry for the mix up everyone.

@jupitreas I hope there aren't too many cars driving through campus and speeding through the parking lots but you bring up a good point. I guess they shouldn't be so isolating that I can't hear car horns/the panicked screams of pedestrians

Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 PM

MEElectronics CC51 $55

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-...pr_product_top

Old 07-11-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimYoung View Post
If you are talking about Head-fi, the thread you want to look at on headphone reviews are jokers thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...55-added-06-06

I prefer the V500 DJ over the V700 DJ.

Not saying AKG is not good either but think wiping the floor is just a bit of an overstatement. Most headphones apart from Beats and Skullcandys are pretty much on par with each other and just depend on personal tastes.
I do not wish to get into a huge argument over this but Sony V500 DJ is not mentioned in that article. Its just a can with a very bad rep... You are free to like it, its all down to subjective tastes in the end. But I am also free to say that the AKG wipes the floor with it, which is a statament I still stand by when it comes to SQ/price ratio between the two cans.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:12 PM

Did you check out the stickied threads? Dfkt's suggestions are worth a look here , here and here.

The next decision to make is whether to go for earbuds or IEM's. For some here it will be a non-contest in favour of IEMs. They offer better isolation and SQ at the cost of being more fussy to insert and more expensive.

I'm a lazy/stingy bastards so I use an old pair of moderately priced sony earbuds when out and about. I also find them more comfortable.