android
Old 07-08-2011, 04:34 AM

Default AKG K518 with a Sansa Fuze? Does it work?

Hi,

up to now I've always used IEM (from 2000 on, I think), so I have absolutely no experience with cans...

Can a Sansa Fuze power the AKG K518 or would I need an amp (=> are they portable enough)? ATM I use the Meelec CC51.
How do they compare (if they are even comparable). The Meelecs aren't made for classical music, so are the K518 fit for this genre?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Administrator

My Sansa Fuze power my AKG K581 DJ, same headphone with a few cosmetic differences, very nicely with no need for an amp. I doubt that you would like them for classical music though. I bought them because they were noted for delivering lots of clean, multi-layered bass and they do that very well. That's great for dubstep or electronica but no so good for classical IMO.

For classical music I'd be looking for something with better treble and especially mids. I prefer a more balanced presentation for that genre. Not that the AKG K581 DJ don't have those, it's just not their strength.

Despite what you read elsewhere there's very few setups where an amp is needed. The greatest majority of players on the market now can drive normal headphones fully without the need for an amp. The amp section on the Clip/Clip+ and Fuze is considered very good and adding an amp might make things louder but it won't make anything better.

Rather than engage in the "amp/no amp" debate I'll refer you to this thread on what What Can Portable Amps Accomplish?. I found it to be very informative and has given me much of the information I needed to make my decisions to amp or not.

Don't want to go too far in that direction and divert this from your search for suitable headphones. Why don't you post what you're looking for as far as price, style etc. There's a nice outline for that here. I'd make a recommendation but if you're looking for a portable set that has great balance I don't have a set that delivers that right now. Once you post all you're looking for someone should know of a set that's right for you.

Happy Hunting

Old 07-08-2011, 11:35 AM

Thanks for your feedback. I took a look at ljokers headphone shootout over at head-fi.org, and it seems like there is nothing good for classical music in my price range (<50€). I'll just give them a try, and maybe they are better than the CC51 for that genre because of the wider soundstage...

Old 07-08-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkys.Brain View Post
it seems like there is nothing good for classical music in my price range (<50)
I'd say Superlux 668B should be a perfect choice.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the tip (Superlx 668B). I've read positive reviews, but I'm sitting in Germanym where it's hard to get them... -_-

Old 07-10-2011, 11:33 AM

You can get Superlux from Thomann.de

http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd668_b.htm

I am really in two minds about the Superlux. As much as I like the SQ esp the 681, it is kinda well ugly and I was a bit embarrass about going out in them. They made me look like Princess Leia. If it is just home use will be fine.

For 50 euros classical music headphone, I probably would go for one of the lower end Sennheiser.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

IMO the Superlx 668B are kinda on the large size for on the go.
The AKG's would be better for travel (I just ordered a set myself, for use with MY clip+),...

PS: The clip+ will power them just fine.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:02 PM

I finally got me some AKG K519 via ebay (30€ including shipping isn't cheap, but it's still okay). Since the cable is a bit short - only 1m - I'll try Supergolf's detachable-cable-mod over from head-fi.

Wish me skill, as I am never lucky with my soldering un-skilliness [_] -V

Last edited by Pinkys.Brain; 07-11-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have my AKG's now, and I tried them out with my RB'd fuze - the SQ is just fantastic. The bass is solid, the mids & highs are quite good as well. I really like them - excellent beater cans!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:28 AM

Darkside, how does it compare with your Ultrasone 780s?

Old 07-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimYoung View Post
Darkside, how does it compare with your Ultrasone 780s?
2 different sounds sigs - so there really is no comparison IMO. The AKG's are portable bass monsters,....the 780's are more "studio" sounding to me. I prefer the bass on the AKG's for on-the-go skull poundings.

They're BOTH nice portable cans, but the AKG's cost me $62, the HFI-780's cost MORE than double. The SQ is better on the 780's, but are you willing to spend that much??? Check out my classifieds ad, get back to me.

Nutshell: The AKG's are a great inexpensive BEATER can, the hfi-780's cost too much to toss around,...THAT'S the BIGGEST difference to ME. I personally give 'em BOTH 2 thumbs up!!!

PS: Comfort wise the 780's are the better of the 2, they're circumaural, so there's no direct pressure on the ears. The AKG's sit ON the ear, supra-aural, and do clamp quite tightly. For on the go ACTIVE use I find the AKG's my personal portable choice. The tight clamping is a non-issue for me.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:51 PM

ah cheers. Actually I have the Ultrasone DJ1 and just wanna know how it compares to the AKG.

I don't mind wearing full size cans out. Anything headphones that can go on my head is portable. My brother do mind a lot about the size tho and only wears supra aural headphones so thought it might be something that might interest him. He has the Klipsch Image One atm 'cos he likes his bass and the styling of the headphone but I think the Klipsch is kinda ridiculous where bass that overpowers everything and you can't hear the mids... not unlike the Beats. So this might be an alternative.

I tried to get him to buy the HD 25-1 ii but he didn't like the look of it. Really racking my brains on quality supra aural headphones around.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My hd25-1 II's sound excellent, but the AKG's really have booming bass - your brother would luv 'em. The mids and highs are still quite nice tho, and the Senn's are more reference quality - the AKG's are just plain FUN!!! They really are a nice set of supra-aural cans. dfkt & others were really on point w/their recommendation - I really have no regrets w/my purchase.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:06 PM

Yeh, still haven't heard anything more fun and exciting than the 518 in that price range. The fact that they work with any wimpy MP3 player is just the icing on the cake. Skip of course is right - there are more refined cans out there - but as he said, not in that price range.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I agree - for the price vs SQ the AKG's are a real sweet deal. And, they're built for the long haul - good all around.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:34 PM

I need your advice: The AKG K518 haven't arrived yet, so to shorten the waiting span I wanted to start with the (klinke) cable for the detachable mod. I am using a Cat5 network cable (8 strands) for a braided cable. The question is: Should I cover the cable with a shrinking tube for insulation and protection, or should I go without the shrinking tube. The cable becomes rather stiff when using it, but I dig the look... (haven't decided on the color though - or should I use a transparent one). Are there shrinking tubs that remain soft, after the shrinking process? Another possibility would be nylon monofilament, but then you cannot see that the cable is braided... [_]?

Additional question: Can you use insulated copper speaker cables (~1mm diameter) to make a 4-strands braided earphone cable? Is speaker cable even a viable option?

Last edited by Pinkys.Brain; 07-19-2011 at 04:09 AM.

Tags
akg k518, sansa fuze