android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 07-05-2011, 05:52 PM

Default What earphones to buy for Clip+

Hi all.

I have ordered the Clip+ on Amazon on Friday, I should hopefully get it tomorrow. I know the stock earphones are not perfect, and I would like to exchange them for something better. My budget is 20. They should be available on http://www.amazon.co.uk/ . I've been thinking about SoundMagic PL30, but some people say their isolation is bad and there's too much bass.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-05-2011, 06:25 PM

It would help if you could give some details about what you are looking for. Do you want a lot of bass? Or something more balanced? How important is isolation? etc. I believe there is a sticky with the basic questions you could fill out.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Administrator

-Thread moved to Headphones-

Welcome to ABi

You can use just about any headphones you want. The Clip+ works with just about any headphones on the market. There's no need to try to match the headphones to the player. That's why I've moved this thread here.

There's not really enough info there. Just providing a link to Amazon.uk isn't going to get you many useful suggestions. Stop by here and gather some more information to give people a better idea of your tastes and needs. You can add that information to your original post by using the Edit button.

Last edited by skip252; 07-05-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggy View Post
Hi all.

I have ordered the Clip+ on Amazon on Friday, I should hopefully get it tomorrow. I know the stock earphones are not perfect, and I would like to exchange them for something better. My budget is 20. They should be available on http://www.amazon.co.uk/ . I've been thinking about SoundMagic PL30, but some people say their isolation is bad and there's too much bass.

Thanks in advance.
No way does the PL30 have too much bass (even on highest setting). I wish they had a tad more to be honest. They isolate fairly well or about average. I don't know what these people are thinking to say that there is too much bass (super shocker to me) or isolation is bad. They are pretty good for your first set of iems. Almost a steal and great deal I would say.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:35 AM

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for not enough information given by me.

I need in-ear monitors (I think), like PL30 or PL11. I would prefer for them to not go around the ear though, but it's not a must. I am going to use them both at home and on the go. I would say they need to have good isolation. I don't really know what Sound Signature I want - they are going to be my first earphones better than the ones given with the players. Music I listen to is metal. As I said, I am going to use them with my Clip+ most of the time.

Edit: I just got my Clip+ and.. it's awesome. I didn't expect it to be so good. It's smaller than expected, but no problems with use at all. Sound is great even on the stock earphones, but it's because I have nothing to compare it too - my previous player was Samsung, five years ago. So: can you help me to choose earphones that would suit me?

Last edited by Draggy; 07-06-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

there is a thread up in the sticky section about good inexpensive headphones. I like anything by Meelectronics or JVC for an entry level set. Meelec just expanded their line and have several options to choose from. I have an m6 and really like it.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:51 PM

MEElectronics does has some good stuff. My quick summery of their new line up would be M31=Basshead, M21=balance, M16=Budget. Of course their is also the older but still well regard M6 and M9.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the replies.
I asked about earphones to the Clip+, I know they have to play good together. Does anyone know what earphones will be the best to this specific player? All the information are above, in my previous posts.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You can use just about any headphones you want. The Clip+ works with just about any headphones on the market. There's no need to try to match the headphones to the player. That's why I've moved this thread here.
wholehearted;y agree with this statement. its a strong player with an eq and is rockbox compatible. that means you can make it play well with about anything. thats why its so popular.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Administrator

It doesn't work that way. There's no need to try to match a player to a set of headphones. Especially a solid performer like the Clip+. Everything I've seen listed here will go just fine with your player.

I haven't looked at every set of IEMs on amazon.uk but I've looked at a representative sample and haven't seen a single set the Clip+ would have a problem driving. Pick the set that suits your taste and fits your budget. They should "play good together" with the Clip+.

Disregard anything you have heard or read that there's a special "synergy" that occurs when you match certain payers with certain headphones. That just isn't true. Any decent player should will match well with most normal sets of headphones. For a set of headphones to not match well with the Clip+ they would have to very unusual. I didn't see anything that was unusual among the ones I several dozen I saw.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:27 AM

Great to know. All the forums I've been searching were saying that Clip+ is a bit warm player and you shouldn't use warm earphones, as it won't play any good.
Summing up, any earphones I use will play good with my Clip? That solves the problem. Thanks a lot, I'm going to choose something from what Amazon offers.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Administrator

You'll read things like a a player is warm, cold, dark, crispy, crunchy and all the other varied "audiophool" terms a lot of places. Those terms are appropriate with headphones. There are differences in drivers, tunings housings and the like that are intended to achieve a certain sound. If those same terms are applied to the player the player is doing it wrong or the reviewer is not well informed on how to determine differences in sound quality.

If a player is producing anything other than a clean, flat signal the proper term for it is defective. It may be "defective by design" where a maker has decided to change the output for some reason, but it's defective. The Clip+, like any quality player, doesn't fall into that category.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:07 AM

@skip252: Thank you very much. Now I know I shouldn't believe everything I read on the Internet..

Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 AM

Just remember to Rockbox your Clip+ as it makes a big difference to sound quality.

The cheapest good bassish earphone I know of is ViSang VS-R02 at 25.

https://www.bargainpile.net/visang-v...l?currency=GBP

To fit your budget tho, I would probably get Koss 75 clip on

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koss-155540-...0047501&sr=1-3

Or normal headphones like Superlux Headphones HD681

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superlux-HD6...0047919&sr=8-1

Or Koss Porta Pro

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koss-Porta-P...0047774&sr=1-1

Old 07-07-2011, 09:27 AM

Yeah, I've already installed Rockbox on it. By the way: can I do something for the Rockbox to go from one folder to another? For example, if I play songs from Ride the Lightning, and the last song is finished, it doesn't go to Master of Puppets, it just stops.

Thanks for the examples of the headphones. I need in-ear ones and the first link looks interesting, but I think I'm going to go for Sennheiser or SoundMagic.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
By the way: can I do something for the Rockbox to go from one folder to another?
Have you got Auto-Change Directory set to "yes"?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 AM

Thumb Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackyTiger View Post
Have you got Auto-Change Directory set to "yes"?
No. Thanks, it works now.
I have two more question.

The first is: how to make the voice recordings to be saved in VOICE folder instead of the main folder?

And second question, not about Rockbox. It's my second day with Clip+ and I noticed that the paint on the Home button is kind of rubbed off. Is it normal? I used the player only at home, so there is no way for it to be damaged.

Thanks in advance. This is the first forum I've seen where people actually help each other instead of telling you to search the whole forum first..

Old 07-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Administrator

The manual is here. From the questions you're asking you don't seem to have read it. I strongly recommend that you read at least thru The Main Menu. Rockbox is different from th OF in that you really need to read the manual in order to take advantage of it's potential. Just pushing buttons and guessing will lead you up some blind alleys that are easily avoided if you've done the need reading.

@TimYoung
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimYoung View Post
Just remember to Rockbox your Clip+ as it makes a big difference to sound quality.
You would need to submit RMAA results that are contrary to those all ready in place for that to believed by anyone that really knows about Rockbox. All other testing that has been done says that within human hearing the base sound quality in Rockbox and the OF are the same. People who know how to conduct both ABX testing in hardware and A/B volume matched testing have reached the same conclusion.

When you make that claim it helps reinforce the mistaken belief that Rockbox somehow is able to improve the excellent sound quality of the Clip+. You may believe that but until you can present subjective evidence for that claim that statement should be considered a placebo effect for you.

Last edited by skip252; 07-07-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
All the forums I've been searching were saying that Clip+ is a bit warm player and you shouldn't use warm earphones, as it won't play any good
Just to put you at ease, I've thrown all types - cold, warm, bright, dark, analytical, musical, bass-head, treble-head, high impedance, low impedance, BA, dynamic, even 'hard to drive' orthodynamic headphones - at Clip+ in the last year and a half. It doesn't really matter. That tiny thing is capable of driving most things out there.

On IEMs, do you have a budget in mind? There are plenty of choices in the budget range. I'd look at a cheap IEM with a good build quality for starters. You can always upgrade to better IEMs once you have used it long enough to know what you like and dislike about the signature.

Last edited by esanthosh; 07-07-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimYoung View Post
Actually, it doesn't. What it does, is make a big difference in the amount of sound adjustment you can do, with the parametric EQ, adjustable stereo width, crossfeeding, etc. But with all that stuff disabled, it shouldn't sound any different.