android
Old 06-28-2011, 03:46 PM

Default Zen Xtra parts source?

Hi...just found your site and love the resource as my fingers automagically reject anything with an aPpLe logo or OS.

Anyway, my my loved Zen Xtra Jukebox suffered some sort of failure that is likely just age related as I bought the thing around 9-10yrs ago as I remember.

The display lights up but text no longer displays. So the backlight is working but have no idea if the display itself is shot or the inverter has croaked. I do know the text had been losing contrast for a few years now so I am not surprised this happened.

I've searched for solutions but this is a hardware thing and best to either buy a replacement via eBay or even better repair it myself. I've upgraded the HDD several times, every time I upgraded a laptop drive I moved the larger drive into this leetle workhorse.

I just haven't run a cross a comprehensive vendor for replacement parts. Or is buying a whole device a better option? I figure the power and headphone jacks are pretty fragile by now anyway but short of cracking the case I don't remember if they are hardwired to the main board or not. I guess i could re-solder to a new mainboard but, well whatever works.

Any suggestions on a source for parts? I know I took the long way around to that, hahaha, sorry it's just me being me?!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-22-2011, 03:43 AM

I was also wondering if there was a parts source aside from a parts zen or browsing through mouser's huge catalog.

I recently crushed my laptop screen which is not worth replacing @ $300 and that's as long as I don't need the backlight at an additional $150. Now my Nomad, who's drive died years ago, can be resurrected since I have a donor drive!

So I pop the hdd in and find my charger and a paper clip, plug in the Zen, push the play button and reset and feel very small crunch. Just my luck, the play button doesn't click anymore...

I've taken it apart and confirmed, broken button, but it is very tight quarters in there and even if I can manage to desolder the switch (which may require me buying a smaller tip for my soldering iron), where do I get one? I'm tempted to swap it with the rewind button, since that's least used.

Anyone have a broken nomad jukebox zen xtra for donation? I'd settle for just the button if you want to desolder one, and I'll reimburse shipping

How's that for a first post?

Old 12-22-2011, 05:51 AM

Well the operation was semi successful. My zen no longer has a rewind button, and the play button does work as I was able to boot to the recovery screen. Sadly the laptop drive that was the donor draws 1A which twice exceeds the recommended power draw for the zen. I did install it just to see and it doesn't even spin up. Tested the hard drive with a usb dongle and it works fine. I guess the zen won't be resurrected after all...