android
Old 06-28-2011, 06:06 AM

Help Blu-ray to J3: Any interest?

Hi everyone,

I've been having some good results recently in converting blu-rays to files to play on the S9/J3. If anyone is interested, I can write another guide If there appears to be some interest, then I'll get right on it as soon as I can!

So, if you would like a guide for this, please let me know

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 AM
Samsung Moderator

Giving the fact the resolution of a blu-ray is 1080p, a DVD is 576p (or 480p poor Americans ) but the screen of the J3/S9 is only 480*272, that doesn't change anything if the video file comes from a Blu-ray or a DVD. Moreover, I guess not many people have a blu-ray player on their computer.

That said:
-it's not only a question of resolution and the mastering can differ from the DVD to the blu-ray version. But I'm not sure once you've got the Divx or Xvid file you still see a difference on the J3.
-I'm sure there always are some people interested

Old 06-28-2011, 06:41 AM

It's certainly not for quality reasons that I would suggest this! People may be in the position that they are now buying films in blu-ray instead of DVD, and these are not as straightforward to transfer to the S9/J3. I would always recommend that people use a DVD version for the S9/J3 rather than a blu-ray, but people may only have newer films in blu-ray.

Choice of the tool to create the file is important. It must allow sufficient customisation of the h264 options so that the file can work properly on the S9/J3, but must also allow choice of audio stream and subtitle stream, as blu-rays often carry a great many of both. Handling the large blu-ray streams can also take a lot of time and processing power, so doing an efficient job with the minimum number of stages is helpful!

Simply put, the SUPER method that I have recommended for converting video files or DVD rips is NOT adequate (well, not recommended anyway!) for dealing with blu-rays.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazza_t10 View Post
It's certainly not for quality reasons that I would suggest this! People may be in the position that they are now buying films in blu-ray instead of DVD, and these are not as straightforward to transfer to the S9/J3. I would always recommend that people use a DVD version for the S9/J3 rather than a blu-ray, but people may only have newer films in blu-ray.
I agree as I pretty much only buy blu-rays now so even though I'm ripping to sub-HD devices I still need to rip from Blu-ray. I've been trying to rip to the Tab but I'm not having much luck, DVDfab is pricey and it just crashes on my main i7 system.

John

Old 07-19-2011, 11:24 PM

I'd LOVE a conversion guide! I travel a lot and I typically rip my Blu-Rays down to 4 - 6 gig MKVs on my notebook and I'd love the option to rip them even further for my J3 (my notebook is too big to comfortably open on most planes so any videos I watch will be on my Cowon. A PMP would be nice but that's one more thing to haul around so the J3 will continue to be my Distraction Machine of choice).

In fact, I'm using your recommended settings in Super to convert some regular DVD rips now. Muchos danka!!

Old 07-23-2011, 06:21 PM

Hi people! Right, seems like there is a bit of interest then. I've had some time to hone the encoding settings over the last week or so I'll try and put something together for you in the next couple of days ... watch this space!

Old 07-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ah this is a must.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:03 AM

Right, I've got myself in gear and there is a new, improved video encoding guide on the way next week!

Old 01-13-2012, 10:30 AM

Add me to the list of interested persons.

I have a number of BluRays and DVDs (I usually buy the combo boxes) and I'd love to be able to convert them.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Awesome, hopefully this will help then . I don't actually own a J3, only an S9, so I might need someone to check the guide, but so far the file support seems to be the same. I won't cover how to rip discs though, just how to do the conversion. We'll be seeing the back of SUPER too, which I'm very pleased about!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:56 AM

@Hazza_t10:

As to ripping the discs you could include a link for the tutorial I made earlier last year. The software used (DVDFab) also works for Blu-Ray discs and the ripping procedures should be all the same AFAIK (I don't own any Blu-Ray discs). Only part 1 (Getting Started with DVDFab) should be followed though as the other steps are about the encoding.