android
Old 11-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sony stock(SNE) is crashing again. It is under $10 now, at its lowest level since 1987. How much lower will the stock go? Perhaps it is best to just avoid it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Sony stock(SNE) is crashing again. It is under $10 now, at its lowest level since 1987.
I'd say you're right, but I've never followed it or cared much for them so I wouldn't know or care much ...

Quote:
How much lower will the stock go?
If you knew that about it and other stocks you'd be rich

Quote:
Perhaps it is best to just avoid it.
I would avoid it ... low dividend yield, negative reports/ratings by the major stock analysts firms and they recently started to sell bonds probably to raise cash.

On another note, Steven Sinofsky's quitting is killing MSFT and I'm guessing it doesn't look good for them any time soon ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

MSFT will do okay. 45% of its revenue is from products unrelated to Windows. It has become a stodgy company though. I guess when the time is right they should make some exciting acquisitions to boost growth.

Here is why Sony stock fell.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...tml?cmpid=yhoo

Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
MSFT will do okay. ...
Then why bring up the idea of investing in Sony, run out and buy MSFT and call it a day ... yea I know you want to make a killing with one investment, those days are far and few between ...

Old 11-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Imo there are much better investments than MSFT or SNE. CAJ is one for example. They have a very strong balance sheet with almost no debt and plenty of cash. Earnings are only down slightly, yet the stock has declined severely. Canon is one of the world's largest patent holders.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Imo there are much better investments than MSFT or SNE. CAJ is one for example. They have a very strong balance sheet with almost no debt and plenty of cash. Earnings are only down slightly, yet the stock has declined severely. Canon is one of the world's largest patent holders.
Sorry don't follow it either but noticed it's close to it's 52 week low, why not jump in

Old 11-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Best Buy(BBY) is under $11.50 now, the lowest its been in over 10 years. Comp store sales were down 4.3% last quarter. Richard Schulze, the company's founder said a few months ago he wanted to buy the company for around $25 a share. I guess if he is still interested in buying the company now, it might be for under $16 a share? The company is still profitable though, and imo improvements can be made to increase SSS and perhaps stabilize profitability, however some of these will involve closing stores and taking large charges for the closures. Imo BBY will probably be a survivor, however the stock may first drop quite a bit more before it rebounds. Some skeptics might say the stock might drop to $6, then Schulze might make a $10 a share offer, while other will say BBY might follow in the path of Circuit City. Some beaten down companies do recover. Pier One stock(PIR) dropped all the way down to 10 cents a share a few years ago. Now it is around $20 a share.

Radio Shack stock(RSH) is under $2 now. It was around $20 two years ago, and around $67 at its peak in 1999. Radioshack is having huge losses though,while Best Buy is still basically profitable(perhaps aside from one time charges?). I guess Best Buy is the safer bet, while RSH seems like the longshot. When the stock analysts promote a theme they are often wrong though. I remember years ago the demise of Fossil was predicted based on the theme that everyone will be carrying devices with a built in clock, so they won't want to wear a watch. They were so wrong about that.

Last edited by JK98; 12-03-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Skulcandy (SKUL) is now down to $6.66. From my earlier post in this thread

"Skullcandy(SKUL) keeps dropping. It is around $8.50 now. If it gets to around $5, it might actually be worth buying. The short interest is huge. Sooner or later the shorts will need to cover, but for now it looks like it might drop to $5 or so before recovering. They will probably earn around $1 a share this year. "

The drop today was due to a downgrade. The stock is starting to look interesting. In the $5-6 price range it may be a buy. If the earnings aren't so horrible, it might rally back to $9-10 on short covering.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sku...?siteid=yhoof2

Old 01-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Perhaps they might lower the target again to $10 or $12. If someone buy SKUL at $6 though, and then it rallies back to $10 on short covering, that would be a nice percentage gain.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...rnings-reports
Jefferies just greatly lowered their target on SKUL. Amazing!

http://www.theflyonthewall.com/perma...ries-downgrade

Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 AM

AAPL down $54.26, lol for those that don't know what AAPL is click here

Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
AAPL down $54.26, lol for those that don't know what AAPL is click here
The funny thing is that Samsung has also been dropping lately, even though Samsung's earnings for the quarter were up around 86% over last year, while Apple's earnings were almost flat with last year. Samsung stock is up around 22% from a year ago, but is something like 14% below its high a few weeks ago. Even with the large one day decline, AAPL is still around 5% above where it was a year ago.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=0...urce=undefined;

How low will AAPL go? Could it get back to $200-250 a share in a few months?

I found this article amusing.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/martinso...next-polaroid/

When will we see market cap crossover, with Samsung's market cap higher than Apple?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/samsun...164508460.html

The decline in Apple's market cap from the high(so far around $240 billion?) may be greater than the total market cap of Samsung or Microsoft. Before today, I think AAPL was around 11% of the NASDAQ composite.

Japan is trying to jump start its economy by weakening the yen. Around 4 months ago it was around 78 yen to the US dollar. Now it is at around 91. While this will help boost exports, it makes imports extremely expensive. I guess the Japanese feel that they need to decrease a record trade deficit. It seems like most products available with a Japanese brand name on them aren't actually manufactured in Japan though.

Last edited by JK98; 01-27-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Skullcandy stock price is down to $6.15. It is starting to look interesting. The CEO resigned, which caused the drop on Friday. I wonder how low it will go. Will it drop under $5? The short interest is so huge, that if there is any good news at all, it could surge 50% or more rather quickly. I feel sorry for those who bought the ipo at $20 and held the stock. OUCH!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I bought the closed end GDX and SIL mining stock funds recently. Imo these will probably appreciate greatly over the next year or so. Imo the SIL probably has much more long term potential, however GDX is a much larger and trades much greater share volumes. These seem to be greatly out of favor now, perhaps at least partially due to high oil prices(mining is very energy intensive).

Old 03-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Skullcandy had Q4 earnings in line with expectations, however they announced they expect a loss in Q1. The stock is around $6 in extended trading. Let's see if it gets close to $5 tomorrow, or perhaps even drops below $5.