android
Old 07-27-2011, 06:38 AM

I am not all that interested in stocks - although I am always checking out the value of the Aussie Dollar compared to others around the world
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-27-2011, 07:30 AM
ABI Invaluable

copeys the FX trade is risky business IMHO, just ask Syndrome

Foreign exchange is somewhat unregulated internationally; activity is generally subject to the laws and customs of each individual nation, around the clock trading, fast dramatic swings (volatility) due to exchange rate risk, credit risk, monetary risk, interest rate risk, government intervention and possible currency devaluation can lead to way high risks, danger of catastrophic losses and PITA

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-27-2011, 09:34 AM

Yeah I wouldn't trade FX based on anything other than fundamental analysis and on an intermediate time scale. The funds you put in there had better be part of the gambling budget. Especially if you are trading on margin with leveraged forex derivatives or are otherwise increasing volatility to increase profits. That shit will wipe you out fast.

I seem to recall a time a while back when people where borrowing cheap JPY and parking them in USD bonds on margin trying to make a quick buck. With the collapse of the carry trade some people got shafted.

Last edited by sideways; 07-27-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: brainfart

Old 08-08-2011, 06:04 PM

http://www.google.com//finance?chdnp...JX:.DJI&ntsp=0

Wow. I think I'll keep my money in the bank.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yep all type of shit going on my grandmother is pissed, alot of people have there money sitting in these places hope all goes well.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:28 PM
ABI Invaluable

I’d call today "Bloody Monday" because the Dow took at 635 point plummet by days end after Standard & Poor downgraded the USA debt. I’m guessing that it’s the nastiest decline since December 2008. My guess is that peeps are scared of another recession or worse (double dip) and how the US & the EU are going to work their way out of a high debt burden if the economy continues to growth as slowly as it has been. While many are freaked out about the market today, I think this month might be one of the best buying opportunities in a long time, but it’s going to take a long time for those fully invested to make back their losses if ever at all and I doubt they feel like throwing more bucks at the current situation. I’d say its one to two years or more out for any big growth but based on today’s results there could even be a small rally tomorrow. On a side note these rallies may prove very good for the astute day traders ...

Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It might be a good day if you have a lot of gold.....but for most people, not a good day at all.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:55 PM

Well, stuff hasn't been going well in terms of trade here as a result of the downgrade.
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 08-09-2011, 07:07 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeys View Post
Well, stuff hasn't been going well in terms of trade here as a result of the downgrade.
I read the ASE ended the day up today 1%, let's see how it goes for us over here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
It might be a good day if you have a lot of gold.....but for most people, not a good day at all.
I knew you had an ace in the hole to pay for all those DAPs you've been acquiring

Old 08-09-2011, 06:01 PM

We dipped below parity with the US . But then it came back to one to one.

WG, I am not to big on stocks, but from what I have seen on tele, we lost shit loads in Monday trading, but then finished up 1% from all that loss on Tuesday... But I also could have misunderstood what happened .
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 12-09-2011, 01:32 PM
ABI Invaluable

I started following the parent company of abi (Crowdgather Inc. CRWG) about the time they took over and I've never seen their stock price dip as low as $0.12/share today VS around $1.40 a year ago Makes me wonder whats going on other than the bad economy as during rallies it doesn't seem to do much as today in the middle of a rally it's Down 0.02 ˘. I'm sure they can't/won't post but it would be interesting to read something from them other than what you read in the press as it's sparse ...

BTW I believe their business model is sound, but I do not work for them and I am not “in the know.” I do hope they turn things around as I really enjoy abi and if this post is inappropriate in anyway CRWG please feel free to delete it.

* Company website http://www.crowdgather.com/

On a side note, am I the only one that follows them?

Old 12-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

I didn't even know ABI has a parent company. Does this mean Enzo doesn't own it any more?

Old 01-26-2012, 02:20 PM
ABI Invaluable

Default SanDisk leads techs Down Today

Shares of SanDisk fell more than 9% to $46.72 as the flash-memory maker reported lower-than-expected earnings for the fourth quarter and issued a disappointing forecast for the current quarter. They said: "we expect business to rebound in the second half of the year," but guidance for 2012 was worse than we expected.

Hope to see some big discounts on flash memory and players to help them increase sales

Old 01-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've made some money in the past, and now I'm mostly investing. Ofcourse those were Finnish stocks (Fortum, Nokia, F-secure, Amer-Sports and Outokumpu) plus some foreign bonds which have made some money (india) Best investment I ever made was in property though Property values in the Helsinki/Espoo region have been rising steadily since 2000.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:50 AM

Meh, you have to benchmark those gains against other asset classes. There are a butt load of misconceptions about real estate, one of the classics is that real estate never go down in value when clearly those wooden houses are rotting away with the turning of the seasons. Very few people even factor in the costs of maintaining a property and what not or the opportunity cost of capital. Not to mention the illiquidity of the asset. To get the most out of real estate investment (i.e. the necessary level of diversification) you need to be a large fish. Most people can't hold real estate efficiently. They just end up skewing their wealth allocation.

I'm not saying you can't have a good streak with real estate (you can have a good streak with any asset) but it's not really mathematically sound portfolio theory. It's kind of like putting everything on red and hoping for the best.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah- not trying to derail the stock exchange topic, just mentioned that it was a pretty solid alternative ~6 years ago that I'm glad I chose to go with. My parents have owned property and have built their whole retirement on it so I had some sound advice from them- and I'm well acquainted with property ownership and the work involved so I'm not saying its for everyone.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:28 PM
ABI Invaluable

Anyone been paying attention to our overlord's (CRWG) lately, up two days in a row if one had bought it at the low two weeks ago (.11˘) and sold now you'd be up $0.28 a share as it's now trading at $0.39.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

SO WG, did you buy any Facebook stock? lol

Old 02-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
I don't think it formally went public yet, but filed for an IPO.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:14 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
I follow or just look at more stocks than I ever buy/sell, I’m always cautious and I'm not a FB fan so I won’t be buying it. From all the IPO's I've seen before, I’ve only ever gotten in on one pre-market and if you don't get in before it hits the market you lose a huge part of the initial bang. That said it could go either way with FB (most likely up since I’m not going near it and all the hoopla about it ). It can be a huge gamble getting in on a stock that will be trading at super high P/E Ratio but hey if we knew which way these things go, we’d all be rich

Keep in mind that we probably won’t see their stock offering for many weeks to come, I’ve read possibly to starting trading in May. Also this should be the largest Internet IPO in history, with FB being valued between $70 and $100 billion. This would make it one of the most valuable IPO's in the United States. Just compare a few current valuations like Apple $337.17 billion, Exon $330.88 billion, McDonald's $100 billion, Citigroup and Amazon around $90 billion, and Bank of America about $75 billion, I’m blown away by the hype ...

I keep reading that this IPO is regarded as the deal of the year or since Google. With this kind of hype the stock will be really over valued by the time you or I could buy it, which means no bargains, so again ... pass ...