android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2006, 05:30 PM

Lightbulb Hints and Tricks

I thought it would be useful if we gather a list of all the good ideas we came up untill now so everyone can access it easily.

First and above all: If you have a problem take a look in the manual! I know it's hard to read stuff if you could just ask someone about it but most of your questions can be answered this way.
  • Recovery Mode
    To enter the recovery mode you have to do the following steps:
    1. Activate "Hold" with the switch on top of the player
    2. Hold the rec-button while you power up
    3. You now should see a message telling you what to do next
  • Reset Database without formatting
    If you have problems with the database (like ghost files) there is no need to format the whole player. Switch the player in MSC-mode (Settings->USB Mode) and connect it to your pc. If you haven't already done so, activate hidden files (here is a guide how to do this). Now go to your Sansa. You should see some new folders there after you activated the hidden files. Go to System\Data\ and delete the Pp5000.dat. After you unplugged the player it should rebuild the complete database.
  • Easy Album Art with MSC
    If you're using MSC and have sorted your music like "\Artist\Album\" or "\Artist - Album\" there is some easy way to add album art for that album. Just copy the .jpg-file you want as the cover in the album-folder and rename it to "Album Art.jpg" or "folder.jpg". Now everytime a track from this folder is played your sansa should show this picture.
Thx to whc for the following:
  • When player is “Freezing”
    If the player freezes, then just hold down the power button for 15 seconds, and the player will turn off.
  • American firmware on European player
    This will give you the possibility to select between normal and high (+10db) volume in "Settings/Volume", this will also give you a radio menu, but is really not of any use at this point.

The flashing: It is very easy, just replace the two files in the root of the player (version.sdk, VERSION.TXT), with the files attached. Then download the firmware from Sandisk. Run the firmware, and follow the instructions...

The files you need

I take no responsibility for this!
  • Create a USB extension charging cable
    If you like me are tired of 1. not to be able to use the player while charging. 2. the player have to constantly be flashing the “connected” animation and with the light constantly on.

Creating the cable: You need a USB extension cable (I uses a wary small one, about 16cm long). Then you with a knife or some thing you can get a hold of the two middle connectors of the plug (either male or female plug, no need to do this in the both ends, I personally went for the male plug) you can see here that the two middle connectors is data. These connectors you have to break, all the way down to the bottom of the plug. It is wary important! That you make sure that none of the connectors is touching itch other or the plug is self, if it does you can possible damage your player, if not your computers USB port.

Now you just connect the extension cable to the included cable, and connect it to your USB port, and the player should now only be charging, and you should be able to use the player while charging.

I take no responsibility for this!
Thx to mrquaid for the following:
  • Scanning through large files
    When you want to scan a long way into a file, instead of pressing down on the search button >> until you get there, or spinning the wheel forever, you can:
    - press the search button >>
    - then slide the hold button
    You can immediately disengage the hold and the player will keep scanning without you having to press the button.
thx to sracer for the following:
  • Changing the filesize of videos created by Sansa Media Converter
    1. Go to the C:\Program Files\SanDisk\Sansa Media Converter\Profiles
    2. Make a backup copy of SanDisk_E200_MSC.apr
    3. Open the SanDisk_E200_MSC.apr in Notepad
    4. Find the [OPTIMIZE] section
    5. Locate the VideoBitrate= entry
    6. Change the 70.
    7. Save the file.
    VideoBitrate=100 creates larger files of higher quality, VideoBitrate=0 smallest size of lesser quality. VideoBitrate=0 creates files that are less than 1/2 the size of the default files created with VideoBitrate=70.
  • Modify the interval that video files are split
    1. Go to the C:\Program Files\SanDisk\Sansa Media Converter\Profiles
    2. Make a backup copy of SanDisk_E200_MSC.apr
    3. Open the SanDisk_E200_MSC.apr in Notepad
    4. Find the [TRANSCODE] section
    5. Locate the SplitTime= entry
    6. Change the 600.
    7. Save the file.
    SplitTime= specifies (in seconds) when SME should close the current output file and create another. By default, SME will generate files for every 10 minutes of video footage. (10*60 = 600) Setting SplitTime=3600 will tell SME to split the video for every hour of video footage.
    kwerdenker: please note that the sansa can not play videos longer than the original 10 minutes. this is presumably due to the size of the videobuffer or some sort of firmware problems. we have to see how it works in the future.
thx to Ordered CHAOS for the following:
  • Listen to Music While Charging From Computer USB
Hit the Voice Record button on the side and then plug in your player to the computer USB port. You will notice nothing really happens. Hit Stop Recording and then exit. You will be back in the main screen but yet the battery is showing that it is being recharged. Pretty slick I thought and I was surprised when it I stumbled on it. Thought I would share my findings as I have learned a lot from here.
thx to Tim for the following:
  • Fix Corrupt Folders
Corrupted folders are undeletable and often have weird sizes (4gb, 8gb, etc). They can be fixed for the most part by running chkdsk g: /f at the command prompt, with g: being your sansa drive. This will scan though the disk, fixing any errors it encounters.
Thanks to isansa for the following:
  • "Reward for Return" file

Here's a suggestion for ANY player (Sansa, Creative, etc.).
There are some good people who actually try to return devices if they find them, if only they know to whom to return them. Not everyone wants to metal-etch their beautiful players or scribble their name on them with a Sharpie.

You can keep a voice recording on it with a message such as "Reward for Return. Please contact (name) (phone) (e-mail) (whatever). Thank you."

Depending on your player, you can save it as a song file, too. (Convert file types if necessary.) In that case, you might want to sing, "Reward for Return-urn-urn. Please contact meeeeeee! Doo-wah, doo-wah. ..."

Anyway, it adds to the chance of recovery if found by an honest person who gives a listen.

It is also a potential hidden ID tag if you think someone has taken your player. Just have the cops or judge scroll to your voice ID file and ask the crook to explain how your ID info got there.

Thanks to Kevad for the following:
  • Defragment the player occasionally to keep song load times down.

Thanks to Elmorani for the following:
  • Reading Text files on the Sansa

It's possible to convert txt files to jpeg images with this jpegbook program. That way you can read txt files on the sansa. Once you have downloaded the program, open it and go to edit-->full config. Set the custom resolution to 176x220 for vertical view or 220x176 for landscape view. If you use landscape view(220x176) then you have to rotate the image clockwise in windows explorer (right click the file and select rotate clockwise). When you have created the images drop them to the sansa media converter.

You can make some background images yourself or use the ones that come with the program.

Download link:
jpegbook_060329.zip

Thx to the admins/mods for making this sticky and keeping it clean!
Any comments and/or suggestions are welcome

Last edited by EnzoTen; 07-14-2006 at 09:02 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]