android
Old 06-23-2011, 08:25 AM

Default iPod Touch equivalent?

Hello!

I'm currently using a 64GB 4th gen iPod Touch.

I ain't gonna replace it now, because I can live with it. But when it'll break, or when I lose it, I'll think of getting something else than an iPod Touch. I made this thread mostly to keep something in mind.

I'd like something that plays music very well and that has Wi-Fi and a decent web browser. I'd also like a capacitive multi-touch screen. However, if you can't find any PMP that has such a screen, you can suggest me anything else. Also, an "app store" would be cool, but it's optional. Same thing for video playback, photo displaying, FLAC playback and a built-in camera. If possible, I'd also like a (micro)SDHC slot, so it doesn't matter if I pick a model that has a small flash memory (I don't even have 2 GB of music at the moment), as I own a 32 GB microSDHC card and an SD adapter.

If you have any ideas, you can share them to me. I won't buy it right now. As I said, I made this thread mostly to keep something in mind, for the moment I'll have to replace my iPod Touch. You can even share ideas that don't match to all of my criterias.

Thank you!

Last edited by Mister Epic; 06-23-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-23-2011, 08:57 AM

I haven't made the commitment to buy a full feature PMP yet, but I have been looking at the Archos 43. It has 16 Gig on board, microSD slot, Wifi. It runs Android.

It's worth checking out.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

One alternative is the Cowon D3, but it's expensive. The Archos 43 also come close but use resistive screens, so I am not sure if you want to "downgrade" In all honesty, I would wait for the iPod Touch 5G because it's closest to the 4G, IMO and there will no longer be a requirement for iTunes. Also, if you must have FLAC playback, there's an app for that.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:21 AM

I've checked this Archos 43 on the web, and it seems to be a hair away from being my ideal iPod Touch equivalent.

My only concern about this one is the touch screen. musichound said this has a resistive touch screen and I've heard it has no multi-touch. While I won't cry because of the lack of multi-touch, I'm not sure what you mean by "resistive".

Is a resistive touch screen like the one found on the Nintendo DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL and 3DS? If it's the case, then as long as the stuff is easy to access for medium-sized fingers, I can live with that. I didn't find the (3)DS's touch screen really annoying (just too small for any kind of fingers, hence the stylus).

Old 06-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Resistive touch screen: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistive_touchscreen

Old 06-23-2011, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the definition TDS.

I had that kind of screen on my BB Storm, I liked it for typing and issuing commands. The BB Storm did allow you to swipe scroll like any touch screen. I'm not sure how well the resistive screen supports the universe of Android apps and games, however.

If the iTouch 5 removes dependence on the abomination called iTunes, I might consider that.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The BB Storm had a capacitive touch screen - I had it as well, the crappy surepress tech was driving me crazy.

Still, I personally would wait for the iPod touch 5G - it's the only real device that can be considered an upgrade ATM. That is, unless the Samsung Galaxy 4 or 5 get released here in the USA. Those 2 will be the Androind equivalent of the iPod touch - a total win IMO!

Old 06-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diechipmunk View Post
If the iTouch 5 removes dependence on the abomination called iTunes, I might consider that.
Apple's website talks about new features, one of which is that it will be able to upgrade the firmware right from the device. If this truly works, then you can use MediaMonkey or another software like it to sync media rather than iTunes. Right now, you only need iTunes to upgrade the player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Still, I personally would wait for the iPod touch 5G - it's the only real device that can be considered an upgrade ATM. That is, unless the Samsung Galaxy 4 or 5 get released here in the USA. Those 2 will be the Androind equivalent of the iPod touch - a total win IMO!
I REALLY would like a Galaxy 4. It looks incredible. I hope Galaxy S players make it stateside...

Last edited by steinburger1109; 06-23-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Apple's website talks about new features, one of which is that it will be able to upgrade the firmware right from the device. If this truly works, then you can use MediaMonkey or another software like it to sync media rather than iTunes. Right now, you only need iTunes to upgrade the player.
Well, right now, you need it to add apps to it, as well.....and if you listen to podcasts that are only available on iTunes, then you have to use iTunes for your music too (or else it will erase music you added w/MM when you sync your podcasts onto it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
I REALLY would like a Galaxy 4. It looks incredible. I hope Galaxy S players make it stateside...
They do look nice.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The new Archos 9 devices were officially announced today, and they look like a worthy competitor to the iPod touch as well (BTW- it's iPod touch, NOT itouch, and saying it wrong makes you sound like a nOOb). I especially like the ability to add 3G to the devices if so desired. Apple and Samsung don't do THAT!!! And Samsung's new players are still officially up in the air,...

Old 06-23-2011, 08:58 PM

But the Archos 9 is literally a tablet computer with Windows 7. I'm not looking for that. I just want something that looks like an iPod Touch, but isn't one.

I just wish that Archos 43 had a capacitive multi-touch screen...

And also, I've heard the Samsung Galaxy Player has serious problems with its OS. Is that true?

By the way, thanks for your ideas!

Old 06-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Go check engadget, the new Archos devices run android - not windows.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Epic View Post
But the Archos 9 is literally a tablet computer with Windows 7. I'm not looking for that. I just want something that looks like an iPod Touch, but isn't one.

And also, I've heard the Samsung Galaxy Player has serious problems with its OS. Is that true?
What's wrong with the iPod Touch if you want something that is like it but isn't one?

And if you have questions about the Galaxy Player that people can't answer here, read up on some of the threads in the Galaxy Player forum. I haven't been over that way in a while but it should have information for you without you even having to ask!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Since there was some confusion about the Archos models in question, here's the link to the article on the Archos G9 devices: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/23/a...ts-1-5ghz-cpu/

How good they are, and how reliable, remains to be seen. They do rock the Android OS tho,...

Old 06-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If they ever show up, the Samsung 4" and 5" players are likely to be the closest iThing to an iTouch you'll find this year.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:02 PM

Zune HD
Archos 43 or so
new Galaxy thingys
a phone

Old 06-24-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
(BTW- it's iPod touch, NOT itouch, and saying it wrong makes you sound like a nOOb)
I'm just too lazy to type iPod Touch when iTouch makes the point. iLazy?

Old 06-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diechipmunk View Post
I'm just too lazy to type iPod Touch when iTouch makes the point. iLazy?
LOL!!! For the WIN!!!

Old 06-25-2011, 09:13 AM

I'm in a similar position, except I want MORE.
My Rockboxed Sansa E200v2 is dieing (freezes, often can't find the microSD drive, frequently won't power up).
These days I'm after something much more than an MP3 player, but with similar portability.
I hate mobile phones and especially hate all things Apple (it's personal).
However I want a pocket device (no bigger the 5") with a capacitive touch screen, microSD reader, WiFi internet browsing, reasonable camera, HD Video, decent ebook reading and good battery life.
An FM Radio, GPS, games/emulators and front facing camera with skype capability would be awesome.
I don't mind paying for quality or features.

I checked out the Archos 43, but the resistive screen, lack of GPS, lack of FM radio, and low quality camera turned me off.
The Zen Touch 2 is even further behind, and the Cowon D3 is too slow and lacks a camera.

So far it looks like I might have to get a Samsung i9100 and just pretend it doesn't have phone capabilities.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm don't think non-phones can do GPS...

Tags
alternative, apple, equivalent, ipod, touch