android
Old 06-16-2011, 04:54 PM

Default Need to gear up - player and phones

Hello there, my first time on the forums. I found this website a few days ago and I am still shocked with all the information on it. Unfortunatly I can't find the time (nor patience) to read all the reviews, and since I am part of that 99% of consumers that doesn't understand much about the subject I can't filter much from the reviews anyway. Since I want that to change, I ask for your help to make me understand what really good music quality sounds like.

I didn't know where to ask for recommendations on both players and phones, so I decided to post here, but I will use the read before post models for both of them.

Player:
  • Use: Daily life, mainly when I am going from home to college or vice-versa (bus) or walking around
  • Type/Design: DAP or pmp (I want to listen to music, video is just a nice to have extra)
  • Display: Display medium to small size (if video is not included)
  • UI/Controls: tactical buttons
Phones
  • Type/Design: in-ear monitor (iem)
  • Primary location of use: Daily life, mainly when I am going from home to college or vice-versa (bus) or walking around
I didn't know how to answer a lot of them, so let me add what I am looking for in my on way:

1) Noise isolation: Most of my listening time is on the bus, going from college to home, and it's just hell. The loud sound from the engine when it runs and stop and also the volume from the tv or radio makes it almost impossible to listen to music. I know noise isolation won't solve this problem, but if it can make it better I am already happy.

2) low volume: I like to listen to music at low volumes

3) Music:
I listen to many music genres, but mainly rock and instrumental (orchestra)

4) Budget: 250 - 400 total (both player and phones)

Sorry for any english problems, is not my first language. From the reviews I've read so far I've been thinking on a sansa clip+ and a Audéo Perfect Fit Earphones 112 or a Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Asdrubal; 06-16-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome to the forums !

There is indeed so much information on this site it can be overwhelming sometimes !

I'd say the Sansa Clip+ is a good choice for your player. As far as the IEM's go, I don't use them anymore, so you might want to wait for someone else's suggestions. I've never heard of either of those, but one IEM I previously owned which had good SQ are the MEElectronics M6.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

For players, as long as you only really need music and don't want or need uber-space (over 40 GB), I find it hard to recommend beyond the SanDisk Sansa Clip+. It has good sound, is small, handy, and easy to grab, is easy to use (and no separate software is needed--drag and drop works just fine), has an fm tuner for those times when that might come in handy, and clips, easily and without more, onto your clothing, etc. As well as other features: it can record, for example. And it can be operated via the normal (nowadays) ID3 tag database, as well as through a normal folder and file view.

Not to mention, the Clip/Clip+ has one of the better price-points around--we're not talking fruit company level pricing.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the welcome =D

About the clip+ what is the capacity limit for the micro sd card? Can I put a 16gb on a clip+ 2gb or even a 32gb micro sd? Does it read and function normally? I thought a 2gb + 16(32)gb micro sd card would be enough, but seeing the size of flac files just now, maybe I could use some more storage space.

And what about the IEM's Mikerman, any advice?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:53 AM

I think you did a pretty good job about picking out both a player and IEM's yourself. I agree with what everyone else has said, for just music get the Clip+. While there are better players, a good set of IEM's is better investment right now. That said, I think the PFE or the TF10 would be a good choice. I have never heard the PFE, but everyone on ABi seems to love it. I do own the TF10 and can it is by far the best IEM I own. It's biggest drawback is size. They are huge. Make sure you keep this in mind while considering them. If you can get past that though their current <$200 price makes them a good deal. It would help if you could give us an idea of what kind of sound signature you like though. One thing I have learned it that it does not matter how much better the sound quality is if you do not like the sound signature you will not be happy. So do like a lot of bass? Does bright treble bother you? Do like warm vocals? I know it is probably hard to answer questions like that when you do not know what is meant by terms like that (check out the sound description FAQ in the stickies), but anything about how you like your music to sound would help.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yep, the Clip+ will accept a 16GB or 32GB microSD card, no problem. If you want max space, you might like to spring for an 8GB Clip+. One thing to note, if you may want to record with the player: recording is done to the internal card, not to the external card--and so if you're going to record with the player, having the largest capacity internal memory is nice.

As to IEM's, lots of more experienced people than me here. I've had low and mid-end Shure earbuds for the past many years and been satisfied with them--I've not wanted to spend hundreds of dollars on a pair, they fit me well, giving me good isolation, and I like the product warranty and customer service. Most recently, though, I scored a pair of nicely-regarded Panasonic RP-HJE900 IEM's on close-out at J and R Music (thanks to a thread here) and they are superb--the only issue is, they are hard to find at a non-astronomical price, now that close-out pricing is over.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asdrubal View Post

I've been thinking on a sansa clip+ and a Audéo Perfect Fit Earphones 112

Throw in the digiZoid ZO and you will be set

Old 06-17-2011, 08:03 PM

cnhardwick: I've tried to describe my sound signature using that sticky, but man, that's hard! Actually, I don't even know what my sound signature is, probably, since all my music players just sound flat.

Mikerman: Thanks man! I was trying to find that out.

The Larch: Is that to compensate the Audéo PFE 112 bass? IEM is going to be a problem, I just found out that amazon can't send them to where I live. On ebay just one seller is auctioning an Audéo PFE 112 and at the same price I can buy an Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10, so I don't know which to pick.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Throw a Digiziod ZO in with ANY player you might purchase - it's THAT GOOD!!!

Old 06-17-2011, 10:03 PM

See if this helps: (take from In Ear Matters)

Quote:
Phonak Audéo PFE 121
With grey filter, the sound is balanced, toward neutral yet analytical, clean and great in resolution. Treble is very well extended, highly detail, sparkly yet not overdone. Mid is decent with a slight forwardness but not to the level of being sweet. Bass has a good sense of speed, quality and low extension, but lean in quantity, body and depth. Soundstage is slightly above average with a good sense of airiness and instrument separation. The overall sound signature of PFE with black filter is smooth, warm and musical. Treble is still fairly well extended, but sparkles without the edge in a smoother fashion. Mid is well bodied, sweet with good texture. Bass is not big, but has good speed and impact with decent body and depth. Soundstage is average.
Pro: Price. Two sounds in one good package. Comfort. Two years warranty.
Con: Availability.
Quote:
Ultimate Ear Triple.fi 10
Balance and airy, a slight harshness on treble but fixable by foam. Bass is hard hitting and fast, but doesn’t carry the fullness and decay. Mid is relatively recessed but not too far away. It retains a clean line but doesn’t present with sweetness. Treble is crispy and sparkly though can be a little edgy at time, especially with the stock silicone eartips. While detail, it is not the most analytical. Soundstage is wide and airy with excellent imaging. TF10 is a well tuned sound that resembles more toward full sized rather than giving the intimacy of an in-ear. A good all rounder that is well suited on most genres though doesn’t excel with any particular. Foam tips recommended.
Pro: Can be had cheaply.
Con: Fit is not for everyone.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:23 AM

Yeah, I was more inclined to the Phonak, but I was having a hard time finding someone that could ship here, while the ultimate ears was easy. But I finally found it, will be buying one in the end of the month and sansa clip+ is on the way already.
The digizoid will have to wait a bit though.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Throw a Digiziod ZO in with ANY player you might purchase - it's THAT GOOD!!!
even the J3?

Old 06-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I hear it even does a better job than the J3's enhancements.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

blasphemy...just kidding. It is intriguing for sure.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I dunno, but ABi's review is glowing... And DS has been raving about it to anyone who will listen.