android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Site Related > MP3 Player News

Old 07-13-2011, 01:41 PM

Default New Sony Walkman A Series 32 and 64GB Coming to US!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...?tag=cnetRiver

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

OMG!!! I'm SOLD!!! I'm getting a 64gb A Series Walkman - I'm SOOOOOOOOO HAPPY NOW!!!

Old 07-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice, I might have missed it but is it touch. I wonder.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No, it's not a touchscreen player. It's the Sony A Series that's available in the EU w/the volume restriction. Only here in the USA it'll be EU volume restriction free!!!

Man, am I ever glad I didn't buy that Samsung Galaxy 4/5 player, since I'd rather have a 64gb Sony TACTILE control player any day!!! WooT!!!

Old 07-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I like wifi too much... I was wondering when they'd bring the A series over here. And at 64GB. Not bad. That's insanely priced, though...

Old 07-13-2011, 04:32 PM

Damn, $494 for 64GB of space,that is crazy. Hopefully since its coming to the US,it might be priced around the same as the 64GB iPod touch,$300 to $400 would suit this better.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

And it doesn't have the bells and whistles the iPod does... Price is WAY too high. And no microSD slot. I mean, it isn't like other players like the iPods do, but that would be a huge advantage. A 96GB Flash player? That might make the price close to reasonable.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It won't cost that much for the 64gb model, and it states that (those are direct Euro price conversions). And if you've ever heard a Sony Walkman mp3 player you'd know this is well worth losing WiFi & such for the SQ. Same as with a Cowon J3 - the SQ is just that GOOD!!!
And compared to the Z:HD - the Z:HD is a POS!!!

Old 07-13-2011, 07:14 PM

God damn it, it's only been FOREVER since they should have started selling these here. When you have to go to the other side of the planet to get something, you're not marketing well enough.

I thought maybe it was going to be the old A840 series, maybe even the A850s. But I didn't expect a new line, the A860. I wonder what it will have over the last two lines.

I need specs and details, damn it!

Quote:
And it doesn't have the bells and whistles the iPod does...
The iPod is known for its built-in amps and noise-canceling features, not to mention all the other sound enhancements it offers? Oh wait, that would be the Walkman players. My bad.

If you're trying to compare an iPod Touch to a Walkman, that's hardly accurate. One is a media tablet, the other is a music player with limited video playing support. Yeah, the iPod touch might be better at video and going on-line, but the Walkman beats it for music. Even the more music-dedicated iPods can't offer what the Walkman models have. Check out the specs between comparable models and than see what's what.

Quote:
And no microSD slot. I mean, it isn't like other players like the iPods do, but that would be a huge advantage. A 96GB Flash player? That might make the price close to reasonable.
MicroSD cards aren't used in any Walkman models, and even if they did use a expansion slot, it would be Sony's own Memory Stick format... which would suck, as they're the only ones that use it. I'd rather have a card that other devices can use if needed, than a format only a limited number of devices use. Seriously Sony; you're not getting anyone to buy that stuff.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Sony Walkman line is about 1 thing and 1 thing ONLY: SOUND QUALITY!!!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
Nice, I might have missed it but is it touch. I wonder.
Quote:
CNET has also learned that the refreshed A860 series Walkman will feature a large OLED touch screen,

Old 07-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Oh SHIIT!!! I really am a tired bastard!!! It's also got 6 buttons on it's sides,...so it's a touch/tactile hybrid - J3 style,...

Quote:
and also have six buttons on the right side of the unit.
I can deal with that!!!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Oh SHIIT!!! I really am a tired bastard!!! It's also got 6 buttons on it's sides,...so it's a touch/tactile hybrid - J3 style,...

I can deal with that!!!
So no more Galaxy or C2 for you then?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
So no more Galaxy or C2 for you then?
NOPE!!! And I'm glad as HELL I didn't buy EITHER!!! muahahahahahahahaha!!!

Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 PM

Touch screen? Hmmm... even with buttons, that could get annoying if you accidentally tap it on something.

The built-in blue-tooth could be useful for syncing to your car, if it has that option. But that's going to be a serious battery drainer.

They have to make it a bit bigger now to get a larger, long-lasting battery. There's no way anyone is going to pay for all of that stuff and have it die after five hours. When you pay lots of money for something, you need it to keep running.

If they can get somewhere near the S-series battery life, then I'd buy one.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
It won't cost that much for the 64gb model, and it states that (those are direct Euro price conversions). And if you've ever heard a Sony Walkman mp3 player you'd know this is well worth losing WiFi & such for the SQ. Same as with a Cowon J3 - the SQ is just that GOOD!!!
Just saying, at this point, I prefer the versatility. I'm not saying I wouldn't like a Sony, Just that I like my internetz and use it all the time. It would be difficult to part with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
The iPod is known for its built-in amps and noise-canceling features, not to mention all the other sound enhancements it offers? Oh wait, that would be the Walkman players. My bad.

If you're trying to compare an iPod Touch to a Walkman, that's hardly accurate. One is a media tablet, the other is a music player with limited video playing support. Yeah, the iPod touch might be better at video and going on-line, but the Walkman beats it for music. Even the more music-dedicated iPods can't offer what the Walkman models have. Check out the specs between comparable models and than see what's what.

MicroSD cards aren't used in any Walkman models, and even if they did use a expansion slot, it would be Sony's own Memory Stick format... which would suck, as they're the only ones that use it. I'd rather have a card that other devices can use if needed, than a format only a limited number of devices use. Seriously Sony; you're not getting anyone to buy that stuff.
Their pricing (at least according to this article) calls on that comparison. I'd take a 64GB iPod Touch 4G over this. And for about a hundred bucks less.

I'm well aware of Sony's ack-basswards way of approaching expandable memory. I'm not saying I'm surprised. Just that it's disappointing to see another high-capacity player without expandable memory of any variety. Do companies think that no one would want a flash player capable of 96GB? That's HDD range with all the benefits of flash memory. How kickass would that be!?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

ZOMG!!! I am there...!!!!
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-14-2011, 02:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Every DAP has a built-in amp, or else you wouldn't hear any sound.
Noise-canceling,who cares.....it only works with their supplied IEM's anyways. I'll grant you that Clear Bass is nice, as enhancements go....but Clear Stereo only works with their headphones according to the Sony manuals, and the other ones are artificial sounding crap, with the exception of the Dynamic Normalizer, which has its uses.

Quote:
Spend three dollars on the Equalizer app, and I'd put my Touch 4G's sound up against a Sony...and what specs exactly do you want to compare? What do you think the Sony will offer that the Touch does not, asides from a bunch of useless presets sounds like karaoke mode?

I'm not bashing Sony here, at all....I've quite enjoyed the two I had and sold, and the one I still own....I'm just trying to inject a little realism into your statements here.

Quote:
After all your iPod comparisons, now you're going to bring up lack of expansion? They're trying to compete with Apple, not anybody else, and Apple doesn't play the expansion game either.

I just hope that the US prices are better than the conversions listed in the article. They can't possibly charge more than the 64GB Touch for the 64GB A-series, if they expect to sell any.

Edit: Forgot to mention that iPods offer something else Sony's players don't....gapless playback and lossless compatibility. You can only get lossless and gapless on a Sony if you load it with WAV. files, and who wants to do that?

Again....don't misunderstand me, I do like Sony players, I've had three and still have one....but they have their pluses and minuses, like every other player.

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 07-14-2011 at 04:48 AM.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:05 AM

Hehe, I hope you'll be able to get them cheaper than in Europe (it is usually the case for all electronic), but anyway, it's worth every cent you'll spend. They don't have all the bells and whistles of an iTouch, but soundwise, there is no comparison, I rate the A847 higher than my old Cowon D2.

Headphones: AKG K240-MKII
To sell: JVC HA-FX300, Philips SHE9850

Old 07-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Better.

I have a thing for Sony's it was one of my first players it will always be dear to my heart -sniffles-

Anyhow Marv I read it.

@Stein, Just have someone send one over to you.

Last edited by Confispect; 07-14-2011 at 03:52 PM.