Old 05-23-2011, 10:36 AM

Default Radius HP-TWF21 W N2 aka DDM 2 Review

http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/05/r...%80%9D-review/

Enjoy.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Reading right now but hadda say:

After your second paragraph, I get the weird feeling I am really gonna like these Radius things...

EDIT: Man, dfkt, you had me all the way...until the pricetag. I was already thinking of the DDM2 as a nice movie IEM as you suggest but man, 300USD? That is a serious amount of scratch for a pair of IEMs that doesn't boast superb build quality and top notch materials.

Great review [as usual and I especially liked the image of you in some bucolic splendor enjoying tunes and the day with your netbook], and that case is indeed awesome.

Also, had no idea about the DDM1 predecessors - moar, biggerer, huge-r bass than the mighty VBs? I shudder at the thought.

A definite pair for back-burner consideration only, at least for me.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 05-23-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:32 PM

A thoroughly enjoyable read - as always. You almost make me want to skip my plans for EX-1000 and go for DDM2 instead

I had the DDM-1, but sold them once I got the FX700.

I think the current going price is still $250 from Dimitri and not $300.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM

Eswar, hmm, Dimitri's site says $298, maybe it's a special 'coupon' price reduction, and you have to mention you're coming from Head-Fi or something?

Heh, yeah, the EX1000 sure are the more versatile and neutral, clearer IEMs. There's lots of those out there though, and you can get a similar good sound from anything ranging from a 'lowly' dynamic driver to any multi-armature one. The DDM2 however do their very own thing, disregarding everything around them... OTOH, the EX1000 have such a horrible fit, even if their sound is truly grand, I can't see myself using them in real life conditions.

Lestatar, I'm sure you would enjoy the DDM2 (and also the old DDM, if you can get them to fit). But yeah, I'm not sure myself if they're worth the asking price... but then I put them in and a big fat stupid smile disfigures my handsome angry face.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:35 PM

I am getting bored of all this dry / neutral / analytical stuff. Moar bass or more musical is better .

You are right. Dimitri originally offered $250 as a promotional pre-order rate for head-fi members. But, to this day, he continues to offer it at the same price. Guess it's $300 at his site and $250 if contacted by E-mail. Update: Yes! Dimitri's offer is still only for head-fi members.

BTW, any chance of getting hold of a Atrio with MG7 driver? It's been getting rave reviews. I am trying to decide between the two, but could not find any comparisons so far.

Last edited by esanthosh; 05-23-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:01 AM

There's a one week summer sale @ $214 shipped from Musica Acoustics now - http://www.musicaacoustics.com/Radius_HP-TWF21.html.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:25 AM

Time to bump. I have the DDM2 in my ears now (a loaner pair).

They are very restrained compared to the wild DDM1. They are musical, but at the same time, smooth and relaxing. My ear has slight discomfort from 4+ hrs of wearing, but I just don't want to take them off . If only it was $50 less, Dimitri would be sending mine on Monday.

FX700 is still my favorite dynamic, but DDM2 is close - somewhere in the region of e-Q5 in terms of my liking.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:50 AM

Glad to hear that, Eswar. Same here, I didn't think they'd grow that much on me, with their weird housing, and low isolation - but I hardly ever take them out of my ears again. Absolutely love their "grand" sound.

I've soldered an angled Neutrik plug on their cable, with the channels reversed, so I can wear them over the ears.

By the way, I think Dimitri is actually having a sale on the Radius and Ortofon phones at the moment? At least it was like that while I was away, a few weeks ago.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:10 AM

Dimitri had DDM2 on sale for $214 for a week or so. The price currently stands at $248 shipped (read that Radius forced him to revise the price upwards). It's still marked as "Summer sale", so not sure if this price will remain for too long.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:18 AM

I asked Dimitri, and he's still selling the DDM2 for $200 incl. shipping, as long as he has them in stock - even if his site says otherwise: http://www.musicaacoustics.com/Radius_HP-TWF21.html - one has to use Paypal checkout, though.

e-Q5 and e-Q7 are on sale, too (and the site even says so ).

Old 10-27-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I asked Dimitri, and he's still selling the DDM2 for $200 incl. shipping, as long as he has them in stock - even if his site says otherwise: http://www.musicaacoustics.com/Radius_HP-TWF21.html - one has to use Paypal checkout, though.
May I ask when you asked Dimitri? as I would like to know if the $200 incl shipping is still valid.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:02 AM

Well, that was back in June. I don't think that sale is still going on, but you can drop Dimitri a mail to be sure: http://www.musicaacoustics.com/Contact_Us.html

Old 02-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Has anyone ever heard the Able Planet SI550? I found them for $21, but what has me intrigued is how much they look like the Radius and the fact they have a 15mm and 7mm driver just like the Radius.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:25 PM

There's also these - http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/09/b...ordable-twins/

Old 02-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think I'll get a set of those able planet iem's,...

Old 02-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I think I'll get a set of those able planet iem's,...
Yeah, I will get one too.