android
Old 05-20-2011, 09:07 PM

Default Good Beginning books for xna games

I have been looking through microsoft's msdn as well as app hub trying to learn xna. The tutorials are mostly focused on windows phone 7 and xbox and don't go into depth that much. What are some good reads for someone who is interested in learning to make games for both the Zune HD as well as windows phone 7 but has never learned any prgramming languages? I need a book that is easy to understand for someone who has never done any coding. Also, is it easier to make the game in xna 2010 then port it to 2008 or vice versa?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm not a programmer at all, so I don't know how good this is, but zunedevwiki.org has some guides if you scroll down that homepage right there.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
I'm not a programmer at all, so I don't know how good this is, but zunedevwiki.org has some guides if you scroll down that homepage right there.
It looks like it's more catered towards open ZDK. I was hoping for something with beginning xna preferably a book. Thank you for the suggestion though .

Old 05-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ah, yes, I probably should have clicked on the getting started link before I told you what it was.

On a different note, I was at my library earlier today and there were a few different books on XNA in the programming section of the reference books. I have no idea if they're good or not.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:30 PM

I own this book and it is fairly useful for a beginner to programming, but it doesn't get very advanced so I lost use for it quickly when I got up to speed.

The important thing to note is that I don't believe there is a single book which teaches you how to program for the Zune HD. The Help files don't do much either in that respect. I've tried to write up tutorials before. If you like I can gather them up and repost them here. Unlike with Windows Phone, the touchscreen and accelerometer are interfaced with on a more basic level which makes them less intuitive (or at least less easy) to understand and program for.

Some other things to know: The Zune HD runs on XNA 3.1, not the latest 4.0. XNA 3.1 is only available in Visual Studio 2008. I do not recommend attempting to backport a Visual Studio 2010 project. If you attempt to code in VS2010, you will not be able to test your app on the device as you cannot deploy an XNA 4.0 app to a Zune (or anything made in 2010, for that matter).

If you are a college or eligible highschool student, you can acquire Visual Studio 2008 Professional from www.dreamspark.com legitimately from Microsoft for free. I recommend the professional edition over the already free Visual C# Express Edition because the Professional edition includes more refractor commands and other useful features. If you're new to Visual Studio, though, you probably don't know what a refrator is... and you probably won't need to use one when you're starting out. So either Professional or Express will be fine, but make sure it's C#.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:54 AM

I was looking for a book myself, but i haven't even started with any of them. Maybe over the summer

Old 05-24-2011, 03:11 PM

[QUOTE=FallenArms3;555306]I own this book and it is fairly useful for a beginner to programming, but it doesn't get very advanced so I lost use for it quickly when I got up to speed.

QUOTE]

Another thing I noticed is that there are a lot of books that say game studio 3.0. I thought the HD was 3.1, I wasn't sure if the 3.0 would cover the zune's touch screen. So I'm assuming this book would cover Zune HD, or would you have to change the input controls for the touch screen?

Old 05-25-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawsome View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenArms3 View Post
I own this book and it is fairly useful for a beginner to programming, but it doesn't get very advanced so I lost use for it quickly when I got up to speed.
Another thing I noticed is that there are a lot of books that say game studio 3.0. I thought the HD was 3.1, I wasn't sure if the 3.0 would cover the zune's touch screen. So I'm assuming this book would cover Zune HD, or would you have to change the input controls for the touch screen?
That's what the rest of my quote is about: there are no books that I know of which cover the Zune HD's touchscreen. Basically, very few people care about it. If you need help with that you can scan ZuneBoards (where most Zune devs are), and in the meantime I will try to compile a nice tutorial on how to effectively use the touchscreen.

Edit: AAaaand 2 hours later I've finished it! Quite a masterpiece if I do say so myself... And I do! At least it took forever!
http://cid-5ea5c2eaa6cabfe5.office.l...Studio%203.pdf

I should get paid for this -.-

Last edited by FallenArms3; 05-25-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenArms3 View Post
That's what the rest of my quote is about: there are no books that I know of which cover the Zune HD's touchscreen. Basically, very few people care about it. If you need help with that you can scan ZuneBoards (where most Zune devs are), and in the meantime I will try to compile a nice tutorial on how to effectively use the touchscreen.

Edit: AAaaand 2 hours later I've finished it! Quite a masterpiece if I do say so myself... And I do! At least it took forever!
http://cid-5ea5c2eaa6cabfe5.office.l...Studio%203.pdf

I should get paid for this -.-

Thank you so much!! This is very helpful, and I would have to agree it is a masterpiece . I will have to check out Zuneboards for more information, as you mentioned. Can't say this enough but thank you for spending your time to clearly explain everything, I know it took a lot of time to write.