android
Old 05-15-2011, 06:18 AM

Default firmware update

hi i can't seem to update my j3 to the newest firmware.i'm still using version 2.22.i follow the instructions but i must be doing something wrong.what is the root file? and where is it also i can't seem to find the remove hardware icon.
many thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-15-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman2 View Post
hi i can't seem to update my j3 to the newest firmware.i'm still using version 2.22.i follow the instructions but i must be doing something wrong.what is the root file?
After you connect the J3 (in MSC mode, presumably, since it's the default... unless you've changed it to MTP), if you do an Explorer View of the drive (using the drive letter assigned by Windows) and select the highest-level item, namely the drive letter itself, you will be presented with the "root folder".

That's where you want to place the 3 .BIN files for the firmware, as in the following:

Quote:
and where is it also i can't seem to find the remove hardware icon.
many thanks
It's a little icon down in the System Tray area (lower right corner of the screen).

If you left-click on it you'll get a popup, and you then select the "eject" item for the Cowon J3.

After clicking on that "eject" item, you'll get a popup bubble message from Windows that "it is now safe to remove hardware". The message will disappear in a few seconds. It is now ok to remove the USB cable from the PC.

Note that if for some reason you have a program or window also open at the same time which is accessing the J3's internal or external storage (e.g. an Explorer window, music file sync/transfer utility program, etc.), you will NOT be allowed to complete this "eject" operation. You'll get a different popup bubble message about "device in use" or something to that effect.

You must have all accessing programs and windows closed, so that the J3 is NOT currently in use by anything, in order to then be able to "safely remove hardware".

Last edited by DSperber; 05-15-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:38 AM

thanks mate. the only problem now is that iv'e lost my playlists

Old 05-15-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman2 View Post
thanks mate. the only problem now is that iv'e lost my playlists
Please be a bit more specific. What do you mean "I've lost my playlists"... do they not show up any more in Music -> [Playlists]? Do they show up but when you tap them you see "No Files"?

What is your real symptom?

Installing new firmware should NOT affect your M3U playlists, assuming that's what you're talking about.

M3U playlists need to be (a) saved on the internal storage of the J3, and (b) should refer to music files only on internal storage of the J3.

They can be placed anywhere (i.e. in any album folders, if that's where you choose to put them) but they most sensibly should be collected in one common \Playlists folder somewhere on internal storage, probably right at the root level.

NOTE: a recent discovery about recent firmware (e.g. 2.25) suggests that Cowon has now [UNANNOUNCED IN ANY DOCUMENTATION OR ANNOUNCEMENT] added M3U playlist support for external storage in a fashion... but once again, still limited exclusively to 1-drive referencing music files on external storage if the M3U playlist is located on external storage.

So... if your M3U playlist is on internal storage, the music files referenced must also be on internal storage. Can't refer to music files on external storage.

And if you M3U playlist is on external storage, the music files referenced must also be on external storage. Can't refer to music files on internal storage.

They still haven't solved the M3U playlist goal of being able to have one M3U playlist support referenced music files on either internal or external storage.

Perhaps you had upgraded to 2.25 firmware (where the above change is now in effect), and your M3U playlists were stored on external storage but your music files are still on internal storage??? Don't know, but I just wanted to share this information.

Anyway, please describe your "lost playlists" now that you've upgraded firmware symptom more precisely.

Also, exactly what firmware have you now upgraded to?