android
Old 05-13-2011, 12:27 AM

Default Another "Class Installer" error

I am running 32-bit Window 7 Professional. Zune Software installs properly, but fails to recognize my 32GB Zune HD due to lack of driver. However, all attempts to install the proper driver have failed thus far. Error messages are as follows:

Upon initial USB connection to computer:

"This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)
The class installer has denied the request to install or upgrade this device.
To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."

Upon attempted manual driver install via Device Manager:

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
The class installer has denied the request to install or upgrade this device.
To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."

My past Zune devices (Zune 30 and 16GB Zune HD) have never had this problem. I have been uninstalling, reinstalling, Windows updating, rebooting, internet researching etc. on my computer for over 3 hours now. My neck is starting to hurt, so my last act today will be to post this question here and hope for the best. I have always liked the Zune brand of players in the past, but I will have to get rid of this $200+ brick and buy something else if it doesn't start working soon.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-13-2011, 02:02 AM

Dude Viewtiful Joe was an awesome game..

Old 05-13-2011, 10:35 AM

Have you tried restarting your computer? (lol, sorry... had to)

but in all seriousness, I'm sure you've tried this, but to be prudent, have done a manual wipe of the device (holding home and power I think)?

When it's plugged in, does it show up in devices and printers (on my laptop it's under unspecified)?

When it's plugged in, does it show up under device manager (Portable Devices, it will be called whatver your zune is called)? Try updating the driver there?

I have w7 too on a 2 year old laptop, and I dont know how relevant this is to you, but I have 3 USB ports on my laptop and for whatever reason, one of the ports will not read the Zune HD (it reads everything else mind you), giving me a similar error to the one you are recieving. And when I say that, I mean when I plug it in to that USB port, its like I'm plugging in the HD for the first time, it searches for the drivers and fails to install, yet when I plug back in to either of the other two ports, it works fine.

Last edited by Haze; 05-13-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: more information

Old 05-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wiping the entire device with Home + Media buttons should do the trick if the problem is with the device.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the software should make the drivers be up to date and good to go.

Also, make sure you have the right version of the software (NOT 64-bit).

Much luck,

Old 05-13-2011, 12:58 PM

@Eddie.exe: Yes, it was an awesome game. Virtual high five man!

@Everybody else: Yeah, I tried all those already. However, this morning I plugged it in and it finally decided to install. In case anybody else has this problem, I un-installed all USB root hubs and what not, then let Windows reinstall them automatically upon bootup this morning. As per an internet thread I read regarding a digital camera, this fixes potentially corrupt registry issues, though I'm not Windows savvy enough to actually know what that means.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

In case you were wondering, the registry is essential Windows files, and if their corrupt, a lot of stuff won't work because a lot of programs and hardware use the registry for directions. I think. Glad you got it working, though, and thanks for the info! I'll have to remember it.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:57 PM

Yeah, I figured registry was just fancy terms for mission-critical files in the Windows OS world.