android
Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 PM

Default Curious About Cowon

Hello All,

I am very curious about the Cowon sound quality that everyone raves about. I am a big fan of Samsung players, and really am waiting for the R1 16gb to show up at a decent price. In the meantime, I am becoming more curious about Cowon. The thing is, I wanted a small touchscreen player - I do not care about video or WIFI - I thought about the i9, but although I love my Samsung Q1, after using my iPhone for a year, I do not want to bother with a touch pad when I can have a touchscreen! - I like that the prices of the S9 have come down - Is the sound quality worth my sacrificing the small size - and perhaps the Sammy -at least for now- as well?

thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
... Is the sound quality worth my sacrificing the small size - and perhaps the Sammy -at least for now- as well?
Yes, what really sets cowon's apart from all other portable players is JetEffects 3.0 and the included BBE Sound enhancements.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 PM

If purpose is purely audio, I9 will be enough IMO as you are not after tactile buttons or screen size

Old 01-03-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinz View Post
If purpose is purely audio, I9 will be enough IMO as you are not after tactile buttons or screen size
I would not mind the i9, but it is that navigation system that has me a bit concerned. In he beginning, the Q2's touch pad did not bother me as much as it did some other people, but lately, I find myself not using it because I find it to be a bit of a pain in the butt - now that I have used players with buttons and touchscreens. I do find the i9 an attractive device, but do not want another cumbersome navigation experience.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:44 AM
Banned

The i9 isn't cumbersome - it's a hybrid of physical buttons and touch control, and is very easy to operate.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:46 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodirectionhome View Post
The i9 isn't cumbersome - it's a hybrid of physical buttons and touch control, and is very easy to operate.
I agree and I've had mine for a long time now, navigation is a breeze. Also it's a low cost way for the OP to fullfill his curiosity on sound quality he mentioned in his first post, slightly tweaked it sounds great to me ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-04-2011, 11:57 AM

Hmmmm.........
I have owned too many Sammy players(T9,T10,P2,P3,R0) and presently owns Cowon j3.
I liked sound quality of Samsung players when I had them.
But by enabling DNSe their is toll on battery life and without DNSe it is as good as any other player(even Sansa clip+).
Cowon is altogther different breed of players.It has best audio,best video(second to ipod tough retina display[debatable issue]) and best FM radio.Further there is microSD slot to increase capacity.
I will not recommend Samsung R0 & R1 as seemingly the FW of these players are developed by NEW team and you may encounter issues here and there.
My R0 bricked within 2 weeks(reason R0 firmware got problem with long file names ,is it not stupid on part of a company to release product that causes trouble to buyers,though new FW of R0 is released there is NO guarantee that it will not brick again.)R1 has similar problematic characteristics.AFAIK its FW is still unstable 3.07
Cowon is used by too many people and you will be satisfied with your investment.
Rest upto you.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:18 AM

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. I have spend many hours reading about and looking at the Cowon: i9, s9, and J3. I almost bought the J3, but could not get past the fact that the player is just much larger than I want right now. In one last ditch effort to find the R1 at a price that I was willing to pay given the potential for issues/problems, I found one at a great price last night and ordered it. Cowon is not out of the picture, as in the end, re: sound quality, I know that the only way to know is to test various players myself. Thanks again.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:19 AM

I'm a former Samsung mp3 owner and Cowon is hands down superior in audio over Samsung. The one problem I had with all of my samsungs is that the audio port eventually conked out on me. Every Samsung I had eventually resulted in fading sound and crackling headphones, which I wrote off as a manufacturing defect since this has only happened to me with Samsungs. Anyway, I'm not venting about Samsung. The Cowon really has an amazing line of players and I know you'll be very happy with the Cowon I9.