android
Old 06-28-2015, 04:44 PM

Default Clip+ discontinued

Looks like following the Clip Zip, the Clip+ also is officially dead now. Makes me glad I still bought two in the last few months. Granted, it's been quite the run for a device like this (over 5 years is not too shabby), and they certainly weren't perfect (various QC issues, and always too darn tiny for my Euro-paws). But still, the little trooper will be dearly missed. Who will take the title of the People's Rockbox player now?

RIP, Clip+.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-29-2015, 02:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyb_gr View Post
Looks like following the Clip Zip, the Clip+ also is officially dead now.
And, upon what grounds do you say this?

Old 06-29-2015, 03:04 PM
Samsung Moderator

Amazon.com is quite reliable when they say "discontinued by Manufacturer"

Old 07-01-2015, 08:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Old 07-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sony recently discontinued the SRF-59 radio. That radio gets 100 hours of play time on one AA battery and sounds great. It was only $15. All the great cheap stuff is being discontinued.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

But IMHO, there are many nice alternatives, attractive in their own rights (including price).

Old 07-03-2015, 08:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
But IMHO, there are many nice alternatives, attractive in their own rights (including price).
Such as?

I prefer to avoid using a phone as a music player, out of fear of radiation. While phones have a mode to turn off the cellular and wifi, I would be afraid the setting might change, or that they still emit plenty of radiation. I like keeping an mp3 player in my shirt pocket. That is a dangerous place to keep a phone.

Old Yesterday, 05:50 AM

Crap, I realized just now when I went to amazon and saw it discontinued.
I need to buy more of them before they go away!

Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The prices on the Clip+ keep going up. On Amazon and Ebay a new one is now at least around $60.
The 4GB ones were $30 around two years ago. New 4GB Clip Zips seem to be at least around $70 now.

Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM

I just checked the Sandisk website http://www.sandisk.com/products/musi...yers/clip-zip/
They have available, for $44.99, 4GB ClipZips in Red, White, and Gray. No 8GB's available.
Hope this helps.

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've actually seen new, unused Clip+ players for sale at eBay.com at competitive pricing. But, it all depends on the moment and the luck of the draw.

Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnDrummr View Post
I just checked the Sandisk website http://www.sandisk.com/products/musi...yers/clip-zip/
They have available, for $44.99, 4GB ClipZips in Red, White, and Gray. No 8GB's available.
Hope this helps.
I hope you realize that there are NONE available 4GB/8GB click on the red "where to buy" icon.

Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM

Boy, that was snapped up since I posted! Thanks for the update.

Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Boy, that was snapped up since I posted! Thanks for the update.
The outlet store on the site has them from time to time but,they are usually refurbs. I have bought refurbs & they all still work & hold a charge 5-6 yrs later. http://shop.sandisk.com/store?SiteID...ltsperPage=100

Old Today, 07:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Hope this helps.
They are no longer available on the Sandisk website. Only the Clip Sport and Clip Jam are available there.

http://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdisku...e/pbPage.sansa

Old Today, 12:09 PM

None now? Wow! Hey Sandisk, the demand for ClipZip and Clip+ exists--dust off your tools, and re-issue. Maybe only 4GB's, since 128GB microSD cards are common these days, and work well with both players. Oh, and all the colors, as long as I'm pipe-dreaming.

Old Today, 02:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If they could figure out how to increase the maximum data base size for the Clip Sport card memory, and figure out how to put a 440 mah battery in it(it now comes with a 220 mah battery), I would be very impressed.

One thing most people don't realize is that the Clip sport consumes only around 45% of the power that the Clip+ and Clip Zip consume. The Clip Sport gets 25 hours on a 220 mah battery, vs 15 hours on a 290 mah battery for the Clip+ and Clip Zip. Some boutique music players and some phones have a 3000 mah battery. Such a battery together with the Clip Sport circuitry would give 341 hours of play time. 25*3000/220=340.9 Having player with 341 hours of battery life would be cool! That equates to 2 weeks at 24 hours a day, a month of battery life at 11 hours a day, two months at 5.5 hours a day, or 1/3 of a year at an average of 20 hours a week.

Old Today, 04:32 PM

Those are some impressive calculations, for a highly desirable "some day"! In the meantime, portable chargers have come a long way. One I use is a RAVPower 16000 mAh unit, which travels in an external pocket or water bottle pocket of my shoulder bag or backpack. Charges my smartphone, as well, costing $37. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

Also, to maintain these terrific but aging players, it's a good idea to sharpen one's soldering and case-cracking skills. It's a very putzy job to open the case, and then "out with the old and in with the new" battery, but so worth it! And finally, not having Rockbox available for either the Sport or Jam is an absolute non-starter for me. [One can grow old waiting for "Updating Your Media", especially with a 128GB card in place. ]