android
Old 07-17-2015, 12:10 AM

Default Rockbox constantly going kaput - Time to let this player go?

Of late my Clip+ has been giving me trouble over this firmware issue. Basically, the every third or fourth time I plug it into my PC corrupts (?) Rockbox for some reason. 'Loading Firmware, File not found (then Plug USB Cable)' it says. It's annoying as hell! I don't have to even do anything (as in transfer music)- as if I simply unplug it as-is, it does the same. It's never the second time. Its either the 3rd or 4th. I then have to hold the power button for 10 seconds to shut down the device to enter into the original Sansa firmware (using the left+power).

Here are the list of things I've tried (and have made no difference)-

- Tried transferring music using only the stock firmware
- Uninstalled and reinstalled rockbox entirely using the Rockbox tool
- Removed and reinstalled the bootloader
- Reverted to stock by official upgrade method (placing the stock zip in the root)
- Used the SD card in another device to see if there are issues.
-

List of things that I've yet to try (but don't think will make a difference)-

- Try a different SD card
- Use an SD card reader to transfer music
- Transfer using MTP

Some info-
- Clip+ 4GB
- Has a 32gig microSD
- Bought in february of 2011. Day one rockbox. RMA'd once.
- It doesn't help that my C+'s battery life is only around 2.5-4 hours nowadays.

Is it time to say goodbye to this player? I'm hesitant to throw this away since Sansa players are fairly expensive in India. I've been holding on to it even with the terrible battery life cause I simply love Rockbox.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-17-2015, 10:14 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Does the storage get corrupted if you use the sandisk firmware for USB transfers?

Old 07-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

While Rockbox is supposed to be okay with class 10 cards, the Sandisk firmware often has issues with cards faster than class 4. I connect my Clip+ to my pc using the original firmware. i use only class 4 cards in my Sandisk players. some other brands of 32GB micro SDHC cards besides Sandisk cards may have issues in Sandisk players. apparantly there are much fewer compatability issues with other major brands of 16Gb class 4 cards than with other brands of 32GB class 4 cards. That is why all my 32GB cards are Sandisk class 4 ones, while some of my 16GB cards are Kingston class 4 ones.

"It doesn't help that my C+'s battery life is only around 2.5-4 hours nowadays. "

WOW! Did you use the player 8 hours a day for over 4 years?

Old 07-19-2015, 04:07 AM

I just checked- I'm using a 32gb Class 4 card by this brand called MGE. I do have a couple of other cards, but they're all the same brand for some weird reason! I guess the brand is a worthwhile possibility to check out; let me see if I can get my hands on a Sandisk.

As for the battery, it's been like this since over a year. I don't know what happened, but after one time I left it charging overnight, its never been the same. And no, I don't really use it on a daily basis (less, nowadays). Could say my usage probably amounts to like 3-5 hours a week unless I'm listening to podcasts.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Charging via a cell phone charger also seems to put less wear on the player. That is especially true for the player's display, which is on all the time while the player has a data connection.

An important issue for battery longevity is temperature. Higher temperatures will result in much shorter battery longevity. That is especially true if the battery remains mostly charged in hot weather. Batteryuniversity.com has plenty of information about this.
I am thinking about buying a phone under $50 without a contract, just to be used as a music player. These phones typically have an easily swappable battery. The lowest priced ones(under $25 in the US) though don't have WIFI or volume control buttons(volume is controlled via a menu), and don't have Android. some under $50(in the US) though have nice screens up to 4.5", Android, microSDXC card support, and large batteries(up to around 2100 mah). If you get one that takes a very common battery, replacing the battery will be easy and cheap.