android
Old 05-08-2011, 12:30 PM

Default new IEM recommendations

Hi,

So I've recently gotten a J3 (and many thanks to this site and forum for steering me in that direction), and I need a new IEM to go with it. Here are my "requirements":

1) Usage: on the go (while traveling, working away from my office or house), so comfort and good isolation are essential. While it'd be great if the J3 could drive it on its own, I do have a small amp that could be used.

2) Price: My budget here is relatively flexible. I'd prefer to spend under $200, but I could spend up to $400 if a really nice option presents itself.

3) Media: I listen to a relatively wide range of music, but mostly hip-hop, techno, punk rock (and some classic rock as well), and classical. So it'd be great if I could find a single earphone that has good SQ across the board, but I could get two different sets of phones if one was really solid in the bass (for the hip-hop/techno) and one was better in the mids and highs (for the classical) if they were both relatively inexpensive.

So far I've been looking at the Hippo VB (when it comes back in stock, anyway), the Phonak Audeo PFE (though it looks like I should wait for the 232 to be released if I go that route), and the Earsonics SM3, though I'm sure there are a world of other options that for some reason I haven't actively considered. It looks like I could get both the VB and the Phonak (as described about, using the Phonak for rock and classical and the VB for more hip-hoppy stuff), but any help you guys can provide would be excellent. Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-08-2011, 12:39 PM

Panasonic RPHJE900

Old 05-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sub-$200, there is always the Panasonic RP-HJE900 to consider. You should be able to get them around $140 hopefully, though I haven't checked in a very long while.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:19 PM

Unfortunately, the best price I can find on the RP-HJE900 is $240, and that's under suspect circumstances: there's an Amazon review saying that the seller in question isn't shipping the HJE900, but rather another brand, and did so on two or three other returns as well. Otherwise, I've found it for $270, but that's still very rare. Is it worth that asking price?

Old 05-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I make no secret I love the Panas. For me the HJE900 are the last pair of dynamic IEMs I will need for the forseeable future.

I say it like that as I am interested in getting a quality pair of B/A IEMs at some point for comparison.

On point, are the Panas worth 240USD? At 79USD, what I bought them for, they were the deal of the century. I would have gladly paid double and a bit more. At 240USD, things get a bit more serious.

When compared to other expensive celeb endorsed IEMs at similar pricepoints, the Panas are completely worth it. But the thought process needs to be more detailed at this serious money.

Best way I can put it...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yea, I don't have enough experience to say that the Panas are definitely worth the 240. It's a shame you can't find them as cheap as before; I got them for $79 like lestatar said.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:33 PM

I do not have the HJE900 (I wish I did), but at that price there are just so many alternatives. Make sure they are what you want first. Personally, I would take the route you mentioned in your post and get two pairs of different sounding earphones that are less expensive. At least for now. Once you get a feel for what it is you like maybe then you consider forking out the money for big boys. Maybe something like the Hippo VB ($80) for bass and the MEElectronics A151 (<$75) for accuracy and detail.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 PM

I would go with Klipsch X5 or Shure SE315 for under $200 or if you want to go higher go for the Klipsch X10 or Shure SE425.

I own Klipsch X5 and didn't get X10 cause of the price but I tested them out and they sound like X5 with more bass, smaller in size and weight.

And you don't need a headphone amp for the Klipsch or Shure.