android
Old 05-06-2011, 01:42 PM

Default L> New Headphones

Hey!

So, after some thinking and help from other members, on a thread I made some time ago I decided to keep my soundcard and get a good pair of headphones instead!

Now, my budget goes up to 150€ (preferably with postage fees included from Europe).

I don't know much about headphones, not even the known Sennheiser (I think they have tons of models), but since I joined ABi I've kept and eye open on some reviews, and the one that really catches my eye is the AIAIAI TMA-1, I simply love how they look and apparently they sound great! They cost 180€ though, and even if it's 'only' 30€ more, have in mind that I'm already pushing my budget to 150€...

I like a good and strong bass, but not basshead. Midrange natural as it can be, (contrary to the TMA-1 which have a more forward midrange) and very detailed and non fatigating treble. Well, mostly a balanced sounding pair of headphones but fun to listen to!

Regarding the isolation, I don't mind the outside noise but I would prefer not to leak any sound, even though I usually listen in low volume. Comfort wise, must be comfortable for some hours, and I have a small head, I don't know if that affects anything.

I usually don't like big sized headphones, but they are welcome as well, any kind of headphone will do I guess.

I'm almost sure I forgot something...

Anyway, any suggestions/thoughts are welcome!

Thanks.

Last edited by sYlt; 05-06-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Changed some things for an easier reading (I hope).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Do the Sennheiser HD-1 II's interest you? I'm trying them out now as I type - the bass is there, but not overbearing, the mids are nice and clear - but not too forward, and the highs are crisp. All and all very well balanced for a portable can. Plus, w/the 70ohm & 120 dB (SPL) they can be easily pushed by the most sparsely powered DAP's around. A wonderful sounding can - me likey!!!

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/DJ-head...t-noise_502188

Old 05-06-2011, 07:08 PM

Those look very good! If I'm not mistaken the Sennheiser HD 25 are the closest competition to the TMA-1 right? How are they regarding the comfort?

The price is very close to my budget of 150€, being around 160€ ish w/o postage fees, on ebay.co.uk.

It certanly is an option! Thanks The DarkSide.

More suggestions thoughts are welcome!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I find them slightly snug - but comfortable. I swapped the pleather pads for the velvet ones, so now I can wear them for extended periods of time. I really am happy with this purchase.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I find them slightly snug - but comfortable. I swapped the pleather pads for the velvet ones, so now I can wear them for extended periods of time. I really am happy with this purchase.
Velvet pads are included right? Do you notice any difference on the sound signature/quality?

Old 05-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, velvet pads come in the box, and the SQ remains the same AFAIC.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Yes, velvet pads come in the box, and the SQ remains the same AFAIC.
Ok, that's good to know. I'll wait for more suggestions for now though, before I pull the trigger. Thanks.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:27 AM

Ah btw, can someone compare the hd 25 and the tma-1 with the panas? Sound signature wise. It would be a great reference for me since I own those.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:48 AM

The HD25-1 are more neutral phones, with slightly bright treble. The TMA-1 are bass heavier with recessed treble. HJE treble is closer to the HD25, HJE bass is somewhat between HD25 and TMA-1 (but generally they're hard to compare).

The HD25 work with more music genres than the TMA-1, have more perceived clarity, and they isolate more.

The TMA-1 have better stereo imaging and are much more comfortable to wear for longer periods.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:03 AM

dfkt, thanks a lot for the very valuable input. This is somewhat an impasse for me:

bass - tma-1
midrange - tma-1/hd 25 depending on music genres (I mostly listen to rock, almost all rock variants, some electronic, I don't listen to classical music at all.)
treble - hd25
isolation - hd25
perceived clarity - hd25
stero imaging - tma-1
comfort - tma-1
looks - tma-1 imo.
price - hd 25 is a little less expensive

Of course those are a bit subjective and relying on your opinion, but it pretty well sums up my difficulty to decide between those 2. If only there would be a pair of headphones that would have the best of the 2... but I guess that's on another budget capability.

I know one thing for sure though, between the TMA-1 and the HD 25-1 I can never go wrong as they seem to be very good headphones.

Perhaps my 'ultimate' question would be, which of them is more fun listening to?

Anyway, more alternatives to these 2 are welcome anytime! --> If not, I'll pick one between the HD25 and the TMA-1.

Thanks.

Last edited by sYlt; 05-08-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Perhaps misleading ^

Old 05-09-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYlt View Post
(...)
Perhaps my 'ultimate' question would be, which of them is more fun listening to?
(...)
Anyone? dfkt perhaps? =P

Old 05-09-2011, 12:05 PM

TMA-1 is way more fun than the HD25.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:12 PM

Aha, TMA-1 it is then! I'll wait a couple of days to see if anyone has other/better suggestions against the TMA-1, if not, I'll go ahead and order these directly from AIAIAI website.

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I luv me senns!!!

Old 05-10-2011, 02:59 PM

Haha yeah, well, as I said before, I can't go wrong with any of those 2, just a matter of sound signature tastes. But if I could I would definitely buy the 2...

Old 05-12-2011, 12:21 PM

I've ordered the AIAIAI TMA-1 from their website, total of 195€ with postage fees included (6€).

It was more than I wanted to spend but for when it's worth it, a little sacrifice doesn't cost that much.

Now I just have to wait, hopefully not long, looking forward to listen to those

Old 05-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm gonna order a set of TMA-1's later tonight,...I hate you guys!!!

Old 05-12-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I'm gonna order a set of TMA-1's later tonight,...I hate you guys!!!
Haha oops!

Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just ordered them via Amazon.com from J&R Music World ( AIAIAI TMA-1) - I hope they slap the snott out of my Sennheiser HD25-1 II's,...especially since these beat almost every can I own. The dbi pro-700's are still slightly better IMO, & I may ship a set off to dfkt for a personal review from him (if he'd do it). And, I'd beg his azz to recable them for me too - since the metal sheathed HP cable is a real heavy PITA.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:42 PM

Whoa, didn't know you had 25-1. Are you happy with them? Sound-wise I mean, I know their comfort sucks for every human being. The TMA sure are way different, but I guess that's why you're trying them - no need in getting something that would be overly similar anyways.

Yeah, I'm totally interested in the DBI, thanks for the offer. Lol, I see what I can do about the cable. It is fixed, I assume?