android
Old 05-03-2011, 01:43 AM

Lightbulb Fuze+ scratched - what about cosmetics?

So recently my Fuze+ was scratched all to kingdom come and I have this nasty looking screen everytime I boot it up and screen polish does not work polycarbonate, I found this out the hard way. Now I have tried everything to get rid of the scratches: buffing with a nail rotary tool, microfiber cloth, even car scratch removal. All in all nothing works and placing a screen protector does not even bend the light enough to hide the scratches. Is there a case mod or case replacement for the player so I can at least view movies without the rainbow of scratches obstructing my view?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-11-2011, 10:38 PM

i also learned the hard way in the past to put protective plastic sticker thing on my screens...

Old 12-14-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmtylenol View Post
So recently my Fuze+ was scratched all to kingdom come and I have this nasty looking screen everytime I boot it up and screen polish does not work polycarbonate, I found this out the hard way. Now I have tried everything to get rid of the scratches: buffing with a nail rotary tool, microfiber cloth, even car scratch removal. All in all nothing works and placing a screen protector does not even bend the light enough to hide the scratches. Is there a case mod or case replacement for the player so I can at least view movies without the rainbow of scratches obstructing my view?
Have you tried PlastX? I had good luck with that on an E280R screen. It's designed for headlights and clear plastics.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:32 PM

I suspect in the situation, that most scratch removers will not fully do the necessary removals. The scratch removes / polishes are designed for clear coat paints on cars and are not designed to cut into the paint to remove oxidation like the old paint on the cars before the 1990s.

I've done scratch repairs on vehicles and I usually wet sand with a 2,000 grit paper. You could do this in an area a bit out of the way - down towards the bottom of the player as a trial. Keep the area moist - but, be careful not to get moisture down in the buttons, etc. Keep on sanding slowly without applying too much pressure. Then, wipe up the moisture and the fine sand / plastic particles with a paper towel. Then, use some automotive scratch remover - Meguier's, 3M, etc. With a very soft towel, keep working with small amounts of the polish and work in tiny circular motions. When done, wipe the whole area to remove any material or extra debris.

If your "test" area looks good, then move onto some other areas that are more visible to the eye - such as the viewing screen. Keep the area you work on small and focus on your work. Carefully, you'll really improve the situation and the looks of the player. You might not get it back to 100% or like it was on the first day - but, you'll be a whole lot better off than you are now.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:53 PM

Lightbulb

Understanding the finish

Plastic with two layers, one color and one clear coating

If you scratch through the clear coating the scratch cannot be remover.

Fix: Clear Coat sealer
1) clean player with auto plastic headlight cleaner, don't rub too hard, let dry then buff off with Micro Cotton Towel
2) apply a small amount of automotive clear coat sealer
3) let dry for 2 hours
4) lightly buff with Micro Cloth, use small circles
5) repeat steps 3 and four to fill in scratch
6) apply screen protector film, I use clear quality packing tape with using credit card get bubbles out

note: never buff hard and don't apply very much pressure, once you wear through outer clear finish it's all down hill

Old 02-18-2015, 08:32 PM

Ok, I told one hard way, now the easy way...

1) Wash Hands making sure you have no gritty things on your fingers.
2) Clean MP3 Player with Purified or distilled water and 100% cotton cloth.
3) Find a good show on TV.
4) Grab Player, put your feet up
5) Hold player in one hand and with other hand use your thumb or dominate finger and start rubbing in small circular motions, with very little pressure in scratched arears.
6) Do this for two sit-coms, one reality show or a movie.
7) Lightly buff player with 100% Cotton cloth.
8) Repeat until you start seeing no progress or finish getting worse.
9) Use Auto Wax an lightly apply, then let dry for twice recommended time.
10) Lightly buff player with 100% Cotton Micro cloth.

Now have a drink, you'll need it!!!

Truth, all the light rubbing fills in the scratches, then the wax semi seals it.

Body oils can do wonders!

Warning: Never use anything but a 100% cotton colth, and don't rub the finish off.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:48 PM

Now the BEST method

1) Buy New Player
2) Buy Skin an Screen Protectors
3) Never use player without 1 and 2

You can also use plastic wrap or clear shrink wrap and put around player in bad weather or other most conditions, such as sweating in the Gym.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Option 4) Don't bother giving a f**k, it's a fuze+ the screen is nasty anyway, it's bad, deserved to be scratch. <whose a bad BAD fuze+! yes you! oh yes u r!!... u naughty naughty fuze.....>

Old 02-18-2015, 09:25 PM

Smile

This is mine, got it as 'not working' on eBay, used my Easy TV Method on it, put in a new battery then added a 32gb SanDisk type 4 Card and now it's awesome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuze+0.jpg (68.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg fuze+6.jpg (47.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg fuze+2.jpg (87.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg fuze+4.jpg (77.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg fuze+5.jpg (82.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Canelo; 02-18-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:12 PM

All Kidding aside......

To follow up on how I got the above player to look new I will explain.

Cosmetics are important!

Once the outer soft plastic layers is damaged there is little you can do to fix it, but there are things you can do to hide it and make it look like new.

Clean the player with ISO alcohol 92% or better, use old tooth brush in edges and around the ports.

1. Wipe clean with 100% micro cotton cloth
2. Use some sort of sealer compatible with soft plastic.
.....(Automotive Clear Coat Sealer works best)

3. Paint the surface with a cotton swab, not too thick
4. Let dry for at least two hours
5. Lightly buff with Micro cloth
6. Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 several times (Don't over buff)
7. Let dry for 2 hours
8. Apply high quality Car Wax for Clear Coat Finishes, do not rub in
9. Let dry
10. Lightly buff with Micro cloth until shinny

The key is you are not removing the scratches but filling them!

Old 02-28-2015, 07:34 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmtylenol
Option 4) Don't bother giving a f**k, it's a fuze+ the screen is nasty anyway, it's bad, deserved to be scratch. <whose a bad BAD fuze+! yes you! oh yes u r!!... u naughty naughty fuze.....>
Looking at the Fuze+ I beleive Sandisk Almost got it right and it is my favorite of all the Sansa line.

The touch controls are too sensitive but if you attenuate through a layer of clear plastic and they work better. The sound is as good or better than any other player in the Sansa Line.

With Rockbox the touch screen is even more sensitive, so add thicker plastic and it's fine, I use a armband for mine not only to protect it but to attenuate the touch pad due to the thickness of the plastic cover.

Go ahead and spank your Fuze+ it can take the abuse!

Old 03-18-2015, 05:23 PM

This blue one is next to be restored and actually was less scratched than the red one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new-1.jpg (21.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg new-6.jpg (150.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg new-3.jpg (36.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg new-0.jpg (66.5 KB, 2 views)