android
Old 05-02-2011, 11:04 PM

Default (Help) Cowon J3 Freeze

Hi,

I really need your help. my Cowon J3 is freezing up and I cant seem to get pass the loading J3 welcome screen.

I've tried hard reset it using the reset pin hole and as soon as I turn it on or connect it to a PC via USB but the problem still persists.

I think I accidentally put an m4a audio file into my J3 and it caused the device to froze up. I want to remove the file but I cant even get access to my J3 anymore from my PC or Mac. (

Really need your help here, Thanks very much!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-03-2011, 02:53 AM

If you can still connect the J3 to your PC and have Windows assign drive letter(s) to internal (and external, if present) storage of your J3, you've got two choices.

(1) Connect the J3 to the PC, use Windows Explorer or some other program that can access the drive letters of the J3, and simply DELETE the file(s) you believe are causing your problems.

Then "safely remove hardware", disconnect the J3, re-boot the J3, and hope this solves your problem. Hopefully, the J3 can now complete the boot process and you're back in business.

(2) If deleting the problematic music file(s) does not solve your J3 boot hangup problem, but you can connect the J3 to the PC and see its internal and external storage drive letters, then simply erase everything with a FORMAT and "start over".

Connect the J3 to the PC, and do a FORMAT of both internal and external storage drive letters of of the J3 using the recommended SD Formatter utility on the PC.

Then "safely remove hardware", disconnect the J3 from the PC, and reboot the J3.

This will cause the J3 to recreate all of the factory default folders (including \Music). You will have no music, no pictures, no videos... nothing but the default folder structure. And this is a perfectly acceptable starting point... i.e. EMPTY. You don't need any of the other sample stuff of audio, video or picture format that Cowon pre-loads onto the J3.

Next, reconnect the J3 to the PC, and manually copy (using Windows Explorer or some other straightforward File Manager) just one artist\album folder structure from your PC's music collection to the \Music target folder on the J3. Just one... so you can then "safely remove hardware" again, disconnect the J3, re-boot the J3, see if it has now solved the problem, and proceed from there.

If your problems have disappeared and the J3 boots properly, you're now back in business and you can proceed to re-copy the rest of your music collection (avoiding the problematic ones this time, presumably).

If the J3 still fails to boot, then it's time for an RMA to Cowon to get a replacement for this one which appears permanently defective.

Of course, if you can't even connect the J3 to the PC and see Windows-assigned drive letters at all, then your J3 is apparently pretty far gone and only an RMA replacement seems like the right solution.

Oh... if you have both a PC and a Mac, next time do NOT use the Mac!!! I know, this is a Cowon-caused issue, but you should only use your PC if you have a choice. Mac + J3 = trouble, for many many users:

1. AAAAALWAYS "eject" the J3 on an Apple PC. This is like the "safely remove hardware" from a PC. Either of these is the MANDATORY first step when the J3 is connected in MSC mode and you're finished with your file maintenance and want to disconnect the J3 from the computer.

2. Obtain an app that allows you to remove Mac "hidden files", which when secretly but automatically copied to the J3 by the Mac actually cause major boot problems for the J3.

NOTE: there's actually a third possible choice, for J3's that have been "bricked" by connection to a Mac:

Read this other thread for a possible solution.

Last edited by DSperber; 05-03-2011 at 03:31 AM.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:28 AM

Hi DSperber,

Thanks for helping me out. Reading from your post, it seems like my device has been permanently damaged as I can't access my device from PC/Mac anymore (I've tried both)

Cowon is a great device but it seems very sensitive to various issues.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:45 AM

Cowon's RMA process with them is actually remarkably quick. Don't know about your online retailer, as you didn't say who that was (but if it's JetAudio via Amazon then it's actually Cowon).

Go to this page to "apply for an RMA", where you describe fully your story. You should hear back almost immediately that "your RMA request has been registered".

Then in all likelihood a few minutes later you'll receive another email advising that "your RMA has been approved" and providing instructions on how and where to send it to them (they're in Irvine CA).

Based on my own personal experience (not something fatal like your "brick', but in my case the clock stopped working as soon as the unit was powered on although it started working as soon as the unit was powered off), it should only take a few days after they receive it for them to start work on it and come to a conclusion (either repair or replace) and close it out by returning a repaired or replaced unit back to you promptly.

You should have it back in your hands maybe 10 days after you mail it to them. Your only expense will be the postage sending it to them. At least that was my story.

(NOTE: turns out I'd run into what has been known as the "clock problem", which at the time there was no known solution for... including at Cowon. So they replaced my J3 with a new one, which was of course problem free.

Turns out there is now a known "insta-fix solution" for the "clock problem" accidentally discovered by a user last year, which is simply to use the FM Radio function!!! That's it... you don't even have to actually USE the FM Radio, you only have to enter the FM Radio application.

And then, magically, the FM Radio software obviously resets "to factory" whatever the flag or data byte or whatever it was that got corrupted, which triggered the "clock problem" in the first place. VOILA! Once again the clock is now working perfectly, and no RMA replacement from Cowon was really required.

This "FM Radio" solution to the "clock problem" has now been used by many users, to avoid RMA'ing their J3 to Cowon for a replacement (although Cowon would now probably just go into the FM Radio app like we all have, to "fix it", and then instantly mail back the "repaired" J3 to the customer).

Nevertheless, Cowon stands behind the J3 and you should have your replacement within 1-2 weeks.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:25 AM

I live in Singapore and bought my Cowon J3 here. Apparently we don't have any authorized technician here so everytime I have problems with my J3, they have to send it back to Korea (which will take approximately 3-4 weeks) and this will be my third time sending my Cowon there.

The first two was device faulty where my cowon displayed a very weird graphics (imagine noise you'd see on an old tv) and hangs everytime I turned it on. Finally they replaced the board the second time I sent my cowon there and now, it seems like I have to resend my cowon on an overseas trip once again