android
Old 05-06-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteest View Post
And I have another question...all this: Plug the player>Safety remove it >take off the usb from player and repeat this sequence wouldn't damage the device? I'm very careful when I plug the player and when it must be unplugged
One question and one answer at a time.

When a USB device is connected to a PC (or a Mac) using "MSC mode" (which is the default setting for the J3, unless you manually change it to "MTP mode" which I do not recommend), it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for first click the "safely remove hardware" function, to allow Windows to flush any still in-memory buffers and data out to the device. Only when that is done is it now safe to remove the connected USB device.

Now all that is required at this point is to remove the USB cable connection between the J3 and the PC. Since there are two ends to the USB cable, you can really pull out either end from that connector.

But for me, unless I'm going to put the J3 back in its bag and carrying case because I'm done working with it on my computer, I will always pull out the USB->PC end of the cable from the PC, leaving the other USB->J3 end of the cable still inserted in the J3.

Very likely, I'm going to want to reconnect the J3 back to the PC fairly soon, and then I just have to plug that USB->PC end of the cable back into the PC. That connector is larger and easier to work with, to the USB connectors on the front of my PC... than playing with that much smaller proprietary USB->J3 end of the special USB cable for the J3.

The point is that once you complete the "safely remove hardware" function you really can pull either (or both) ends of the USB cable from either (or both) devices. There will be NO HARM to either device from doing this cable disonnect, since you've first successfully completed the "safely remove hardware".

But common sense would suggest leaving the USB->J3 end still inserted into the J3 (as you say, perhaps to minimize any mechanical impact on the integrity of the J3's proprietary USB connector from playing with the USB->J3 end of the cable into the J3), if you think you're going to be re-connecting it to the PC in a little while. So all you need to do is remove the USB->PC end of the cable, and you're done for now.

Once the cable has been unplugged from either device, you can now re-boot the J3... just leaving the still-connected-to-the-J3 cable "dangling" from its USB connector. No problem.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-06-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen 10 cell in matrix browser

If I was having one album with no cover then there was only one cell
Now I have 3 albums with two covers and a cell,
Really? I would not expect that, even if you only have three album folders and just two cover.jpg's stored in two of those three album folders.

You start off in basic portrait player mode (after navigating to that folder somehow, either using Browser or Music to get started). You select a music file to play, and it starts playing.

If there is a valid cover.jpg album art image in that album folder it should look just like it does in the PDF manual, presenting the portrait mode player interface:

Now, from this portrait mode orientation, if you then rotate the J3 to the horizontal (landscape) orientation, you should now see 10 small cells arranged in two rows of five cells, (1,1), (1,2), (1,3), (1,4), (1,5) in the first row, and (2,1), (2,2), (2,3), (2,4), and (2,5) in the second row.

Each of these 10 cells can hold a 95x95 miniature album art image (picked from \System\MusicDB where the ab_nnn.jpg miniatures are kept). The arrangement of album covers presented is alphabetical by album title, with the CURRENTLY PLAYING ALBUM IN cell (2,3).

If there are insufficient cover.jpg album images (or, rather, insufficient ab_nnn.jpg miniatures) to fill the 10 cells, then a blue music note is displayed in that cell as a placeholder. If you have more than 10 cover.jpg album images, then just the alphabetically surrounding album covers will be selected... with the currently playing album cover in (2,3).

Actually, the placement of these alphabetically arranged album title images is really (1,1), (2,1), (1,2), (2,2), (1,3), (2,3), (1,4), (2,4), (1,5) and (2,5).

It has to look like this image from the PDF user manual:

And again, ALL 10 CELLS MUST BE PRESENTED... because that's just how Matrix Browser works. If you don't have enough cover.jpg album art images to fill all 10 cells with real 95x95 miniatures, then whatever you do have will be in some lesser number of cells than 10, and the remainder will be default populated with the blue music note. The currently playing album's album art 95x95 miniature HAS TO BE in (2,3), because that's how Matrix Browser works.

Quote:
And Yes,I have two miniature pics in system/musicDB
Then that means if you're playing a music file from one of the two album folders which do have cover.jpg in them, then you should see one of those two covers in (2,3)... since that's where the currently playing album's cover goes.

Then, the other cover will either be before or after the currently playing album's cover alphabetically, so it will either be in (1,3) and (2,3), or (2,3) and (1,4) where your two album covers should appear, depending on which album you're playing music from.

However the other 8 cells should be a blue music note, since you only have two cover.jpg files.

Now while in Matrix Browser (landscape) mode, if you tap on any of the miniature album covers that are displayed (including the currently playing album's cover) ... and keep the J3 in horizontal landscape mode, you will enter "landscape mode player". This will have a large size album cover on the left, and a scrollable list of the music files for that album on the right.

It looks like this:

Old 05-07-2011, 02:47 AM

How do you make Winamp show artis cover ?

[Add Folder]>View>Album Art ??

If so,it doesn't show me anything but that Lama

I've done the steps exactly as you've told me

The first time the same!(the only difference was that I directly downloaded to J3 instead on PC)

I chosed this picture http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Later Edit* OMG the attached screenshot I've resized to 800x600 is sooo blurry

Another Later Edit: I haven't done anything different,after I've [new playlist]>add folder> the cover poped out,but when I change to other folders it still remains..

I close it[new playlist]>[add folder](different folder with different cover) and still that one pops out

Weird isn't ?

*Later Later Edit

Not even your cover with Lady Gaga isn't working

*Later x 3 Edit

I added more albums on my J3

I put your covers ,those working covers,EXACTLY the same way,but they do not show...nothing in system/musicDB eather

How could this be? I redonwloaded your covers, same steps and it isn't working?!?!?!

Grrr and adding to my frustration...I'm at Math-Info(pc programming) current specialization high school(although with multimedia I'm a complete noob,learning every day something new)

I have to go with my colleges on the weekly mount trip(I'll be away for like 28-40+ hours) I hope I'll get some signal with my laptop or answer you in short time

Thx for all the help DSperber

I hope my last replys clarify the situation(I'll check the topic as often as possible)

Cheers!

P.S. I'll test the J3 battery with this occasion!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (72.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Asteest; 05-07-2011 at 03:40 AM.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
How do you make Winamp show art cover ?

[Add Folder]>View>Album Art ??
Not quite

Quote:
If so,it doesn't show me anything but that Lama
Winamp tutorial follows...

(1) I'm not sure that every one of Winamp's "skins" provides for an Album Art window. You didn't mention what you chose as the "skin" when you installed Winamp, but I use "Winamp Modern".

The central Winamp player window (title bar "Winamp") is what you should use to set options, preferences, VIEW, etc.

There is a separate "Playlist Editor" window which has some overlapping functions with the main player window and supports creating/editing M3U playlists, but this is not where you make adjustments to Winamp's settings.

(2) On the central Winamp player window, you select your "skin" if you'd like to change what you have. Options -> skins -> select what you want. I've selected "Winamp Modern".

(3) In order to make the Album Art window appear, you have to check "album art" in View. View -> check "album art".

(4) You can navigate the Winamp player in a number of different ways, using either the main player window or the playlist editor window. But once you get to an album folder that contains a cover.jpg image, and select one or more music files from that folder to play, and the player starts playing, the "album art" window will automatically open if you've got "album art" checked in View.

However, for some crazy reason Winamp opens that initial Album Art window as a very tiny window, and located BEHIND THE MAIN PLAYER WINDOW!!! So it's open, but you don't know it!!

To actually see that first-time initial Album Art window you need to drag the main player window away from where it is... to reveal that the tiny Album Art window is right behind it! Hidden in its default location right behind the main player window!

Anyway, once you move the main player window away from where it was, sure enough there's the Album Art window. Now you can move the Album Art window to wherever you want, enlarge it by dragging an edge or corner, etc. Then you can move the main player window back where you want it, and arrange all of the various windows: Album Art, Winamp, Playlist Editor, Media Library, and whatever else you want to open (View and check) or close (View and un-check).

For example, my window arrangement looks as follows:

(5) Since my album art is 500x500 and I want Winamp to display it in full-size, without shrinking or enlarging to introduce quality degradation, in order to enlarge the Album Art window to be as close to a perfect 500x500 as I could get, I used ACDSee to simultaneously view the same 500x500 album art in a window. ACDSee will present its image in a window in full-size, with no re-size.

So by putting the ACDSee 500x500 window next to the Album Art window of Winamp, I can pull the album art window edges and corners until they two windows present exactly the same image.

Note that ACDSee (an image browser program) does a much better "render" of the JPG than Winamp does. Compare the two side-by-side versions of the identical cover.jpg in the screenshot below, and I think you'll agree that the ACDSee image is superior. This isn't really critical to me, and as long as I can see the album art cover from Winamp that's all I really care about... although there's no question an image viewer program is likely going to do a better job of presenting an image than is a music player program where an Album Art window was an add-on enhancement.

I now close the ACDSee window, reposition the correctly sized Winamp Album Art where I want it, and that's the end. From now on that Album Art window will be opened exactly there, and with exactly that size, any time there is cover.jpg art to display. If you have no cover.jpg album art in an album folder, the Album Art window will be empty... just like the J3 displays a white CD if there is no album art for a music file.

(6) Personally, I don't care for the default Winamp mini-icon which you see in Explorer next to music files for which Winamp is the default player.

I prefer one of the alternative mini-icons available, through a program setting. Options -> Preferences -> General Preferences -> File types. Then pull the "File icon" slider down until you find an icon you really like. I like the dark gray background and orange lightning bolt mini-icon:

Last edited by DSperber; 05-07-2011 at 06:47 AM.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I chosed this picture http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Later Edit* OMG the attached screenshot I've resized to 800x600 is sooo blurry
I don't know what screenshot capture program you're using. I use a program named Fullshot. Many people use Snagit.

But I use www.Imageshack.com to post my images. I upload my screenshots to Imageshack, and then insert the http URL link to the Imageshack file inline in my forum post... between [img] and [/img].

In the upload of my images to Imageshack, the default is to resize for an 800x600 screen, which as you can see from your own attachment is really too small. So my uploads to Imageshack specify that the target is a 1024x768 screen, which is why my inline http URL images look much larger and clearer than yours did.

Also, you have a very large screenshot that has gotten resized to 800x600, never a good idea.

Anyway, I can see your screenshot, and it looks like you've correctly downloaded that 500x500 image exactly as you found it. It's been correctly stored in your "Best of Beethoven" album folder, although I don't know why that is under "Best of Mozart"... which is not an \Artist folder. You should probably have a music collection on either your C hard drive or the J3 structured as something like c:\Music\Artist\Album or J3:\Music\Artist\Album. If you have the identical folder structure on your PC hard drive as you have on the J3 (i.e. \Music as the parent folder) then it's trivial to just COPY from hard drive to J3, including the imbedded cover.jpg album art files. That way it'll work perfectly with Winamp and the J3.

Nevertheless, you've got it 100% correct! Perfect untouched download of the Amazon image, and saved as cover.jpg. Perfect. You've got the method down pat now, for retrieving album art from Amazon and saving it as cover.jpg into the album folder for which it applies.

YAY!!

Quote:
Another Later Edit: I haven't done anything different,after I've [new playlist]>add folder> the cover poped out,but when I change to other folders it still remains..

I close it[new playlist]>[add folder](different folder with different cover) and still that one pops out
Your problem is one of unfamiliarity with Winamp, and how to get files into the player window (which will also be duplicated in the Playlist Editor window).

Based on what I see for that Beethoven album and the cover.jpg you've saved, I'm convinced you now know how to get the album art.

You now only need to learn how to use Winamp, to select one or more music files to play. If these music files come from more than one album, and if each album folder has a cover.jpg in it, then as Winamp moves through the play list it will keep changing the content of the Album Art window accordingly... displaying the matching cover.jpg for the music file being played found in the album folder in which that music file lives.

So... there are essentially two different ways to select files to be played in Winamp: (a) from the File -> method in the main central player window, or (b) from the File -> method in the Playlist Editor window.

(a) Winamp main player window (replaces current music file list with new selections):

File -> play file
File -> play folder

(b) Playlist Editor window (can start a new play list, add to an existing play list, start from an existing M3U playlist to use or modify, save current play list contents as an M3U playlist file, etc.):

File -> add file
File -> add folder
File -> open playlist
File -> open playlist from Media Library

Once you get the contents of the main player window set (by using either the player window File -> functions or Playlist Editor window File -> functions), you use the player controls in the main central window to PLAY, PAUSE, STOP, SKIP-TO-NEXT, SKIP-TO-LAST, etc.

You can also save the contents of the list in the Playlist Editor window:

File -> save playlist

The Playlist -> functions are yet another group of playlist editing operations, which you can explore for yourself or refer to HELP to learn about.

Quote:
I added more albums on my J3

I put your covers ,those working covers,EXACTLY the same way,but they do not show...nothing in system/musicDB eather

How could this be? I redonwloaded your covers, same steps and it isn't working?!?!?!
Not possible.

Obviously, you're not doing the right thing... somehow.

If the \Music parent folder on the J3 has nothing but unique non-duplicated \Artist sub-folders underneath it, and each \Artist sub-folder then has one or more \Album sub-folders underneath, and then each \Album folder has nothing but music files in it (FLAC and MP3) that contain no imbedded album art in their tags, and each music file has a valid tag, and there's only one cover.jpg in that album folder, then it HAS TO WORK PROPERLY.

I know you want to load up your J3 with dozens of gigabytes of music files and video, but until you get two or three album folders working perfectly (or, let's say 10 album folders so that you have 10 different cover.jpg images to populate all 10 cells of Matrix Browser) you're really just making your life miserable with all of these malfunctions.

It's really foolproof. This all works perfectly I assure you. You're getting into trouble probably because your \Music\Artist\Album folder structure is not consistent, or maybe because you're putting the same cover.jpg images into multiple folders as part of this experimentation (although that really should not be a problem).

Again, I strongly urge you to load no more than 10 properly structured album folders on the J3 first, with the proper 10 cover.jpg album art images stored into the 10 album folders. Your objective is that this works 100% properly, and until you get that to happen just don't do anything else except solve the problem.

Last edited by DSperber; 05-07-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:58 AM

Hello,I'm back,I had an accident,anyway

It doesn't work,I'm doing exactly as you told me!

I use Winamp modern skin etc,I'm used to winamp(I'm not sure of artworck since I never used winamp for such thing like editing artwork)

Still trying to get that matrix browser working as it should.

And I found a VERY VERY VERY annoying thing.....

When I MUSIC>[a music folder] etc

all the tracks show something like this:

01-name.extension
02-name.extension etc

and it even shows the cover.jpg

Its very annoying.First time it didn't show like this,it was normal name (only the name)

Old 05-24-2011, 12:01 PM

how do I change it as it was the first way ? when you have tracks like verylongname.extension,and when cover.jpg shows at the bottom of the list its pissing me off

Second a very odd thing,I downloaded Pirates of Caribbean tracks,from 4 folder only one had a working cover 1000x1000,I had copy/pasted the same image to the rest of the 4 folders and NOTHING,not even the original folder doesn't show the cover anymore

Old 05-24-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
And I found a VERY VERY VERY annoying thing.....

When I MUSIC>[a music folder] etc

all the tracks show something like this:

01-name.extension
02-name.extension etc

and it even shows the cover.jpg
Even though you started with the Music icon instead of the Browser icon, the results are the same because you have chosen to use the [Folders] method of browsing. You apparently didn't realize it, or its consequences, but what you're describing is "folders" browsing rather than "tags" browsing.

You want to use the "tags" method of browsing, not the [Folders] method. "Tags" browsing does NOT present the external file name and extension as is shown when using "folders" method. Instead, "tags" browsing presents the internal tag field "title" value... which hopefully is the same as your external file name minus the extension. But if it's not, well that's your own fault and really should be corrected if you want to maintain your sanity.

From any album folder you're currently playing music in (say with the album title shown in the blue title bar), if you push the "lines" icon at the left side of the blue title bar for the album you will see the list of files in that album folder (including cover.jpg). At the bottom of the presentation tap the second icon from the left, which is the "left arrow".

This will take you BACK UP one level. If you're looking at an album folder's contents, going BACK UP one level should probably take you back up to the album list for the artist, and it will be the artist name which will now be shown at the top in the blue title bar.

Once again, tap that "left arrow" from this artist (and subordinate albums) list and you will again go BACK UP one level, namely to the list of artists. The title bar will now show "Music", and all artists will be underneath it.

Once again, tap that "left arrow" and you'll go BACK UP one more level, this time to the internal or external storage group... either J3 or J3 Ext in the title bar. Shown in the list are the folders themselves in this root-level, on either internal or external storage of the J3.

Once again, tap the "left arrow" and you're now back up to "Folders" in the title bar, and [J3] or [J3 EXT] in the list.

One more time, tap the "left arrow" and you're now back to "Library" in the title bar, and all of the various ways of going forward now presented to you. One is [Folders] (which you just came back to the surface from, which you do NOT want to be in if you don't want to see extensions on file names).

The next five items in the list shown from "Library" are the five tag field databases you can browse through (e.g. [Artists]) and if you choose any of them and work downward, you will NOT see the extensions on file names and you will NOT see "cover.jpg". You will only see music file names. Just remember what you're seeing is not the external file name for the track, but rather the internal tag field "title" name of the track... as you put it in your tag. If you screwed up and the tag field "title" doesn't match the external file name, well too bad. When you browse through tag fields this way, you are going to see the "title" tag field value as the track name, not the external file name (which DOES get presented if you're in "folders" browse mode, like before... and you don't like that you complained).

The other categories are again assorted other non-folder ways to present music files, and they will not show extensions. They're just other subsets of the total tag database, just not the true five tag fields you can browse directly.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
It doesn't work,I'm doing exactly as you told me!
You're going to have to give a bit better description than "it doesn't work".

WHAT doesn't work? Are we talking about the PC, and Winamp on the PC, and the Album Art window not populating with album art from "cover.jpg" placed in an album folder on you PC music collection?

Or are you trying to use Winamp to play music from the folders on the J3???

Or, is the Album Art window of Winamp not visible at all? Or is it "empty" with a default placeholder art JPG?

Please be specific, and if you can post a screenshot from your PC it would probably be helpful to demonstrate EXACTLY what it is that "doesn't work".

Quote:
I use Winamp modern skin etc,
Good.

Quote:
I'm used to winamp(I'm not sure of artworck since I never used winamp for such thing like editing artwork)
I never suggested using Winamp for editing artwork, and don't even know if that's possible.

But why would even want to do that? I certainly wouldn't. If I wanted to scan and edit my own album art from CD covers, or download and edit someone else's previously scanned high-res album art, I'd use Photoshop... not Winamp.

Nevertheless, assuming you've downloaded an acceptable album art JPG and named it properly as "cover.jpg" (since I assume you are NOT going to imbed it inside the music file tag) and placed it in an "album folder" on the J3, then there's no way you shouldn't see that album art when you play music files from that album folder in portrait mode... assuming there are no complicating factors like imbedded art in some of the files of that album folder.

And if you see the art in portrait mode, then if you go to landscape mode the same art IN MINIATURE should appear in the (2x5) matrix... assuming you're using firmware versions 2.22, 2.23 or 2.25. There is a well know defect in 2.21 and 2.24 which prevents miniature album art from appearing in landscape mode.

All of these miniature 95x95 album art JPGs are located in the \System\MusicDB folder on internal storage of the J3, named as ab_nnn.jpg along with the master album database file ALBUMINF.DB. If you have these, you should also have art in Matrix Browser. If you don't have these, then you certainly have some kind of a problem but at least this explains why you have no art in Matrix browser.

These ab_nnn.jpg miniatures are maintained by the J3 at each "cold boot". They are not rebuilt when you bring the J3 out of "sleep". In order to maintain \System\MusicDB and its contents, you must power off the J3 (which happens automatically when you disconnect from the PC) and then power on.

For each "cover.jpg" you have in an album folder, you should also get an ab_nnn.jpg 95x95 miniature in \System\MusicDB. Can you identify specifically which cover.jpg files do NOT have a corresponding ab_nnn.jpg miniature? That would at least be a start in chasing this down and resolving your problem once and for all. Maybe there's something odd about that particular cover.jpg. How about posting it here as an attachment, and we can look at it for ourselves.

Quote:
Still trying to get that matrix browser working as it should.
Works perfectly for me, with firmware 2.23.

While the J3 is connected to my PC, I can use an image browser (e.g. ACDSee) and navigate to \System\MusicDB on the J3, and I will see 1000 95x95 miniature album art JPG's named ab_nnn.jpg in that folder on the J3.

And that's why I have album art in Matrix Browser... because the contents of \System\MusicDB are correct. If the contents are other than I have described, you're simply not going to see album art in Matrix Browser, but instead will only see the blank music-note placeholder art image.

So... can you browse \System\MusicDB from your PC, and see your 95x95 album art miniatures? Can you browse the folder with Windows Explorer and see those ab_nnn.jpg files as well as ALBUMINF.DB??

Old 05-24-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
how do I change it as it was the first way ? when you have tracks like verylongname.extension,and cover.jpg shows at the bottom of the list
The "folders" list of music files is arranged purely alphabetically, by external file name within that album folder.

And in the ASCII alphabetical collating sequence, numbers come before letters.

Since you've decided to put the track number (numeric, obviously) at the front of your external file names, these will naturally always be shown first in any alphabetical folder contents list... with "cover.jpg" occurring after all external file names beginning with numbers.

This is the direct consequence of your external file naming convention and the fact that you have chosen to browse through "folders", instead of through "tags". This is not a problem with the J3.

So, do you also have these track numbers at the front of your internal tag "title" field values? Or do you NOT have them here, but only put them at the front of your external file names?

If you don't have leading track numbers in your "title" tag field values (which is exactly what I recommend... that you do NOT do this) then your "tags" browsing will simply present tracks the way the J3 does (which is a good thing):

(a) if browsing using "tags" and presenting a single album folder's contents, the presentation sequence will be TRACK NUMBER (from the "track number" tag field value). This mimics exactly the physical track sequence on the CD itself, had you played the CD in a real mechanical CD player in physical track sequence.

The "track number" tag field can be single or double digits, with or without leading zeros, and can also be "fractional". The J3 understand all of these human-understandable representations of track number and will present the tracks correctly in true track number sequence... assuming you've got valid legitimate track number values in the "track number" tag field.

(b) if browsing using "tags" and you select "[All Tracks]" for an artist, then the total combined sum of ALL the tracks from ALL the albums of that artist will be alphabetized into one large alphabetically sequenced list. It is the internal "title" tag field value of each music file's tag that will used as the sort key and shown in the list.

(c) if browsing using "folders", you will simply see an alphabetical list of external file names, including extension.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:17 PM

Matrix Browser SOLVED

Thank you!

but now,I have a problem..

2 weeks ago,I put 11 Gbs of video,Today I deleted them(wanted to put 6 gbs of music)

But I cannot...why?

My PC is showing that the player still has the 11 Gbs of video in it(altruth I deleted them)

The players system info as well shows the same stats,I've tried a database update,no use....

What happened?

I remove the device properly

Old 06-03-2011, 12:24 PM

correction ,The pc is showing the right stats

But the player shows the same stats as I would have those additional 11 Gb,what happen? how could I prevent this from happening again?

I will copy all the data to my PC,and format the player with your format app

Old 06-03-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
correction ,The pc is showing the right stats

But the player shows the same stats as I would have those additional 11 Gb,what happen? how could I prevent this from happening again?

I will copy all the data to my PC,and format the player with your format app
No idea. You deleted the video files from the J3 using Windows Explorer, while the J3 was connected to the PC? Certainly should have worked.

Or did you try to delete them using the J3 itself?

If the files had somehow been marked "read only" and thus couldn't be deleted, I would have expected you to get some error message.

Anyway, re-formatting and then copying over only your music files should obviously work without a problem. Reasonable solution.

I'd suggest confirming that you can delete music files if you want, just to be sure you're not doing something wrong. If you couldn't delete video files, there has to be some explanation, so confirming that you can delete music files too if you wanted to should be double-checked.