android
Old 05-01-2011, 02:05 AM

Default Cowon j3 noobie issues

I got my j3 3 days ago 16 Gb...

And I already have the following issues:

I ordered online,from a respectable store in my country but...

1)Inside the player is a folder named : PodCastReady
As I first seen its a program,also on picture it shows two picture from this folder..why is this here?
2)I tried to put some cool pictures from wallbase.cc/start/ ...I failed....Insead random pic from Google is a success....why?

I just opene the image>save as>desktop(name example.JPEG) I put the .jpeg

The pictures are in jpeg

When I start my player I can see at pictures the exact number(around 11 atm) but when I open to see them there are only the players first ones...nothing new(except the random ones small resolution,poor)

I put them in Picture folder...what went wrong?

3)I have a bad feeling about my battery....

Yesterday was full...then I watched a movie for 30 min,played music for 7 hours (75% battery) this morning I've played for like 15 mins some games and 50% battery (at night I closed the player,and when I'm listening I lock it,no screen)

I know that players doesn't show battery status accurate...but come on!

4)I put some albums most of them FLAC
-I put some pictures also(one picture in each album folders,(I can see these pictures) but....here is the tricky part I don't understand
When you are listening a track,you flip the player and all albums shows up(matrix browser??)
From all my albums only two have thumb picture...Freinds and lovers..second I have a Beethoven album..a simple pic .JPEg( I think in the folder) and it shows in Matrix Browser...I've done the same to the rest of my album folders...but it doesn't work...why??!?
I'm new with the encoding/tag thingies...when I'm searching for tracks..all the Flac one work...the MP3 doesn't need mp3 tags?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-01-2011, 05:18 AM

Suggestion: Start over. Erase all of the factory-provided content, and then just start slowly... learning slowly about your J3 and how it works.

Do a FORMAT of both internal and external storage of the J3 using the recommended SD Formatter utility, "safely remove hardware", then reboot the J3.

This will cause the J3 to recreate all of the factory default folders (including \Music). You will have no music, no pictures, no videos... nothing but the default folder structure. And this is a perfectly acceptable starting point... i.e. EMPTY. You don't need any of the other sample stuff of audio, video or picture format that Cowon pre-loads onto the J3.

Next, reconnect the J3 to the PC, and manually copy (using Windows Explorer or some other straightforward File Manager) just one artist\album folder structure from your PC's music collection to the \Music target folder on the J3. Just one... so you can experiment, and learn.

Presumably this will be an \album folder under an \artist folder under \Music. And there will be several music files in that album folder, say MP3 or FLAC or APE, or a mixture.

Then, again using Windows Explorer or similar, manually copy the album art JPG for that album into that target album folder on the J3 with a file name of cover.jpg.

Then once again "safely remove hardware", and reboot the J3. Now see if you can now find these music files by using either of the two available methods for selecting music to play: (1) Browser to navigate down from the J3 parent folder into \Music and then into your one \Artist folder and then down into your one \Album folder, and also (2) Music (for tag fields, like album, artist, genre, etc.) methods, down into [Artist] and then into the one album you have copied for that artist, and then to see the files within that album.

Then, whichever of the two methods you used to arrive down to the music files list, see if you can tap on a track and play those music files, and also see the album art you are expecting from that cover.jpg.

If you rotate the J3 horizontally, you will presumabely see the "Matrix Browser" presentation which simply shows the alphabetically surrounding album covers (say 5 in front and 4 after) around the album title you're currently playing a music file from. In the current experimental state you're in, you will only have one album to display in this way, but you should at least see it along with probably 9 other "music note" cells, since you don't have any other album covers to present.

Anyway, experiment with this one-artist one-album state of your J3, until you're more familiar with how it works to play music. Ask questions here if you run into something you don't understand or can't figure out from the PDF documentation user manual.

Once you've got it figured out, you might try copying more \artist\album folders over, and explore some more.

Also, you might try copying one single video over, and explore again.

Also, you might try copying one single JPG picture over (other than the cover.jpg in the album folder), and explore again.

Learn about your J3 slowly, by your own experimentation as well as asking questions here and absorbing the answers. Don't overwhelm yourself by trying to do too much all at once.

That's my recommendation: (a) FORMAT the J3 to zero and start over, (b) copy one \artist\album over under \Music and also some music files into that album folder along with an album art cover.jpg. Then learn how things work on the J3, from that one initial state.

Then, you can expand.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Excellent advice as usual DSperber. We all are guilty of putting the cart before the horse when we get new toys.

Your logical, step-by-step approach will work for nearly everyone and for nearly everything out there and only requires some patience.

Patience up front in this manner will surely result in far less hair pulling, screaming and frustration down the road.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-02-2011, 07:38 AM

What are the
SD Formatter

format options?

Quick format..?
Full Erase
or Full OverWrite?

and the file adjustment

Thank you for those tips DSperber...extremely helpful

also,my question remains...I have a feeling that this player isn't first time used by me..

1) I have that Folder postcast
2)I have a Win98 folder
3)The Sc Card slot(inside) to exterior seems a little dusty...(I have very sharp eyes) and I've opened that "plastic thingy" only 2-3 times

I also have two ISO files at the root of the device named "DID" and "nonce" both with 1 kb size

Last edited by Asteest; 05-02-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteest View Post
What are the
SD Formatter
Here is the PDF documentation for v3.0 of the program.

Quote:
also,my question remains...I have a feeling that this player isn't first time used by me..

1) I have that Folder postcast
2)I have a Win98 folder
These are factory provided folders, that will not be recreated when you FORMAT the device and then re-boot.

The first boot after FORMAT will trigger the firmware to recreate only the necessary default folder structure expected by the firmware, with no sample or demo files, and no extraneous folders (e.g. that \Win98 folder).

Just do a full format with erase, and be done with it.

Quote:
I also have two ISO files at the root of the device named "DID" and "nonce" both with 1 kb size
These could be legit. You'll find out after your FORMAT and then re-boot. Whatever the firmware needs will be recreated. Whatever Cowon installed at the factory but which is not crucial to the firmware will not be recreated.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 AM

Thx men

I've done as you said but I still have a hard time making the pic in my album work(in matrix browser)

I resized all the pictures at around 300x300,nothing! they have the name cover.jpg (doesn't work) The name of the album.jpg(also it doesn't work)
In normal music view by track also doesn't show
Instead they show up as usually in Picture viewing

Second...with movies

It doesn't show subtitles(I've worked a little with player's subtitles setting and I'm sure it fails at the files format

What format must the subtitles be?
The subtitle must be "glowed" on the movie file with a program,or it will your like KMplayer/BSplayer etc Movie as a file and sub as another

Also if you recommend a good program for movies to resize the resolution,bit rate,glue subtitles and anything for a nice view on the player(same thing with music files encoding,bit rate,tagging mp3 files/flac,converting

At the moment I'm searching Google for those programs(I don't care if they are free or not,some way or another I'll get 'em...I need efficiency) DSperber Thanks again

*EDIT I tested COWON Media Center - jetAudio ,from what I seen it will make a good job,both with audio,converting,setting bit rate,and with video ,setting quality etc

*EDIT Mp3tag v2.48 I found attractive to my cause but it is good of tagging .FLAC? I usually listen to Mozart/Beethoven etc
I see it has Support for Cover Art "Download and add album covers to your files and make your library even more shiny."

Okey,I found out J3 supports SMI subtitle format.Matrix browser pics unsolved at the moment

Tell me guys if you agree,or you've found something better)

Last edited by Asteest; 05-03-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:18 AM

Firmware 2.23(I didn't upgraded to 2.25 with your suggestion)

Last edited by Asteest; 05-03-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I've done as you said but I still have a hard time making the pic in my album work(in matrix browser)

I resized all the pictures at around 300x300,nothing! they have the name cover.jpg (doesn't work) The name of the album.jpg(also it doesn't work)
In normal music view by track also doesn't show
Instead they show up as usually in Picture viewing
The images which appear in Matrix Browser are re-sized 95x95 images that are stored in \System\MusicDB on internal storage of the J3. They have file names like "ab_nnn.jpg", and correspond to each album title.

The corresponding album title for the 95x95 miniature is obtained either from (a) the folder name in which the cover.jpg image is found, or (b) the album name field in the tag in which imbedded album art is found.

All new 95x95 re-sized miniatures are resized at each boot by the J3 itself, as part of the boot process associated with "check albumart". Any new cover.jpg images are discovered and resized, imbedded new art in tags are discovered and identified, and obsolete no longer need miniatures are deleted when either the album's cover.jpg has been deleted or an imbedded art image in a tag has been deleted or the music file itself with the previously imbedded art in the tag has been deleted. Or, if the album folder has been renamed, or the album value in a tag has been changed... all of these are discovered by the J3 at boot time, and the contents of \System\MusicDB adjusted accordingly.

So, if you use any Windows image browser (e.g. ACDsee, etc.) while the J3 is connected to your PC, you will be able to browse \System\MusicDB on the J3 and see all of the 95x95 miniatures that have most recently been put there by the J3, based on the last boot and "check albumart" process.

If there are no ab_nnn.jpg files in \System\MusicDb, then you're not going to see anything in Matrix Browser... since this is where the 95x95 miniatures are stored.

Or, if you match up the ab_nnn.jpg files against your known album titles, you should have a 1-to-1 relationship, assuming you have either an album folder and cover.jpg file in it, or imbedded art in tags for every album title in your collection.

Now as previously stated, there is a problem with firmware 2.25 (and possibly 2.24 as well... can't recall) that did NOT produce those ab_nnn.jpg 95x95 miniatures in \System\MusicDB. But you shouldn't have a problem with 2.23, which definitely works properly.

I still suggest that you "clean house" and start over and start slowly, and not confuse things with trying to do too much at one time. Don't do music, video and pictures and text... until you get music working to your satisfaction.

Delete all of your music folder/files under \Music, and delete everything (and I do mean everything) in \System\MusicDB. Then copy just one \artist\music folder of music over, including cover.jpg, and then "safely remove hardware", disconnect the J3, and reboot.

You should obviously now see that cover.jpg in the player when you play any of the music files in that album folder, and if you turn the J3 horizontally you should see one 95x95 miniature image and nine "music note" placeholders for the other cells of Matrix Browser.

If you don't see what I tell you should be seen, then you have a problem that needs to be solved. Don't move on to anything else until you solve the problem.

Reconnect the J3 to the PC, look into \System\MusicDB, and see if you have one ab_nnn.jpg 95x95 miniature of the full-size cover.jpg that lives in your album folder. If you don't see that 95x95 miniature, then you have a problem that needs to be solved. Don't move on to anything else until you solve the problem.

Firmware 2.23 is the right firmware.

Did you FORMAT your J3 using the SD Formatter program I recommended above? And if so, then there can't be anything residual that could be mucking things up. If not, then there might be something residual that could be mucking things up.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:21 AM

Yes I formatted the device using SD Formatter

And No,still the Matrix browser isn't working as you suggested with a separate cover.jpg file

Today I'll try tagging(all of my FLACs are tagged but not cover tagged)

*Edit

I'm feeling that I'm testing your patience...

But... ... ...

I really REALLY don't understand why a thing works in the first place,and when you re-do,it fails

First time,I've put an Beethoven album(.FLAC with tags and cover,etc),that was the only abum showing in Album Matrix,this and Friends and Lovers

After Formatting I've put the same album(nothing changed in it) IN THE SAME MUSIC FOLDER SPOT(like this would be useful) in the same conditions copying,etc but now it doesn't work(the matrix browser) Why's that?!

Mp3Tag fails also..I've tried with different file size(small ones) nothing,cover.jpg ..nada

I will try your last method

ALSO in a few days I'll be needing the film playback

THe movie playback is fantastic! but I have the following issues!

1)how do you make the subtitle work
2)I converted a STR into SMI file,but the player doesn't sees it!
3)On conversion SMI...at finish I'll get a SMIL ...is the same thing? with that "L" ?
4)I'm already used with the cowon j3's menu settings,and I know that Subtitles are on! right adjusted,etc but the movie plays without them

I'm sorry because of my noobish appearance,but J3 is my first serious player that require more time handling with its multimedia potential

*more edit
I've put some audio books,they show in matrix browser but they doesn't in audio folder while browsing

2)A few minutes ago I've returned from shoping got bored of my single album and used the Radio...the thing I've saw stunned me!

The frequency the player choose is totally failing,instead of searching and using 1 unit at a time,it uses 5

Example:

91.0 ; 91.5' 92.0; 92.5
Lets say there is a radio post with frequency 91.4
The player will take 91.5 because he takes 5 units instead of 1

Again I might be wrong and someone could solve this

Last edited by Asteest; 05-04-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
A few minutes ago I've returned from shoping got bored of my single album and used the Radio...the thing I've saw stunned me!
If you haven't already downloaded the PDF User Manual from the Cowon site, you need to.

You can get it from here.

On page 27 of the PDF manual it attempts to explain (not very well, I agree) how to use the FM Radio function. As with much in the manual, its combination of English and graphics is a very poor conveyance of how the feature really works, and all of the possible subtleties.

Anyway, the main FM radio interface looks like this:

At the bottom of the screen there are three control icons. The center icon (4) toggles you between "preset" mode and "non-preset" mode. It is "non-preset" mode which supports manual tuning.

You can tell which mode you're in from the channel frequency display area in the upper part of the screen. For example, in "manual tuning, non-preset" mode the only thing you'll see is the currently tuned channel frequency. This is what the above sample screenshot from the PDF shows, with 107.7 "manually tuned".

In this "manual tuning" mode if you tap the "next" or "previous" control icons (to the right and left of the preset/non-preset icon, at the bottom of the screen, items shown as (5) in the picture) you will go forward or backward in tuning frequency, by .1 at a time per tap.

You can also press-and-hold the "next" or "previous" icons, which will now progress forward or backward continuously in .1 units, until you remove your finger when the continuous tuning scan will then stop.

Actually, sometimes this "sticks" and even if you remove your finger the continuous tuning scan will not stop. If this happens, just tap on that "next" or "previous" icon once, and the continuous tuning scan will now stop for sure.

Alternatively, while in manual tuning non-preset mode, you can also press-and-hold the red pointer on the big round tuning dial, and drag it around to the left or right. Again, you will be changing channels by .1 up or down as you drag. Release your finger when you've gotten to the right channel (or close). You can then use the manual "next" or "previous" buttons to refine your channel by .1 clicks, if you've overshot using the channel dial method.

Anyway, once you have used this manually tuning method (in non-preset mode) to arrive at the channel you want, you can store that channel as a preset... either as a new one or as a replacement channel for one of the 24 available channel preset cells the J3 supports for FM radio.

While in manual tuning non-preset mode with the correct channel frequency displayed, push the "lines" icon in the upper-left corner of the screen (item (2) in the picture). This will reveal the 24-cell preset channel matrix view.

At the bottom of this 24-cell matrix view, push the "+" button to get into "add/replace" mode. The "+" will change from a white color to a green color, indicating it is now active.

Now tap whichever cell you want to store the currently tuned channel into, as a preset for that cell number. A green circle with a check will appear briefly and then disappear, and your currently tuned channel number will now appear installed into that preset cell.

Note that you can also maintain (i.e. delete) presets from the channel list in a similar fashion, while in this 24-cell matrix view. Tap the "X" icon at the bottom of the screen, and it will change from white to green to indicate it's active. Then tap a cell that contains a preset channel number in it. You'll get a confirmation popup, showing a circle and an "X". Tap the circle to confirm deletion of that channel preset, and tap "X" to cancel your delete request and get back to the 24-cell matrix.

When you're all done now push the "X" at the upper right corner of the screen (item (1) in the picture), to return to the main FM radio presentation.

You can now toggle back to preset mode if you want, by pushing the preset/non-preset button in the center of the bottom of the screen (item (4) in the picture). The presentation in the channel frequency area will change, to show the previous and next channel presets which will be next selected if you push the "next"or "previous" controls.

You can also drag the red slider (shown to the right of the displayed channel number and frequency, when you're in preset mode) up or down to move to the next or previous preset channel number shown.

Or, you can tap on the small light gray channel numbers above and below the large bright white current channel number, as yet another way to navigate to those presets.

Again, it seems that the displayed next/previous preset channels are not sequential. They almost seem random. The only way I've seen to sequentially move through presets is by dragging the red pointer on the tuning dial around, which for sure works just like you'd expect.

Now, the "next" and "previous" controls (items (5) in the picture) navigate through the presets. You'd think this would be sequential, but for me it seems random... although it does navigate through presets.

Or, in preset mode you can also drag the channel dial pointer around using your finger and press-and-hold... to move absolutely sequentially through your presets. Release your finger when the preset you get to is what you want.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Just looked at my root... these two files are there for me as well.

Perfectly normal, apparently.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Yes I formatted the device using SD Formatter

And No,still the Matrix browser isn't working as you suggested with a separate cover.jpg file
I've asked you to reply whether or not your \System\MusicDB folder has any ab_nnn.jpg files in it? You still haven't answered.

As I've explained these ab_nnn.jpg files are the very 95x95 miniature album art images which appear in Matrix Browser. If you have ZERO of these files in \System\MusicDB then that explains why you claim that "Matrix Browser doesn't work".

For example, on my J3:

And if you browse \System\MusicDB with an image browser, you'll see that these ab_nnn.jpg images are in fact miniature 95x95 versions of every cover.jpg you have in your album folders, or imbedded album art image in tags of music files.

If you don't have any ab_nnn.jpg files in \System\MusicDB then that's why Matrix Browser is not working. And we would then need to solve that mystery.

So... do you or do you not have any ab_nnn.jpg files in your \System\MusicDB folder on the J3?

Quote:
First time,I've put an Beethoven album(.FLAC with tags and cover,etc),that was the only abum showing in Album Matrix,this and Friends and Lovers
You're talking about two different points in time, and are mixing apples and oranges. Or... you really did NOT perform the SD Format you said you did.

"Friends and Lovers" was a sample demo file installed on the J3 by Cowon at the factory. You would only have that file if you still had the Cowon factor-version of the J3 contents.

But if you had actually FORMAT'ed your J3 using the SD Formatter program as I described, you could not possibly have that Cowon-provided "Friends and Lovers" demo file any longer.

So... do you still have "Friends and Lovers" showing somewhere somehow?? If so, then you did NOT do the FORMAT you said you did, and which I requested you do to start over.

If you don't still have 'Friends and Lovers", that mentioning that is from an original J3 state that we're going to forget about. I only want to focus on your current J3 situation, which I'd asked you to completely empty by FORMAT using the SD Formatter program, and then copy ONLY ONE ARTIST/ALBUM FOLDER STRUCTURE OVER, and use just that one music folder with a few music files in it to get your situation squared away... before copying thousands of other things to the J3.

Quote:
Mp3Tag fails also..I've tried with different file size(small ones) nothing,cover.jpg ..nada
I don't know what your describing here.

Are you saying MP3Tag "fails to work"? What does that mean? And why are you trying to use it at all... just for tag fields like artist, album, year, genre, etc.? Or are you trying to imbed album art JPG's into the tag?

I asked you NOT to do that. I wanted you only to put a cover.jpg image in the one album folder under the one artist folder under \Music, and let's take it from there. This absolutely should work, but if it doesn't then let's solve that mystery... because IT HAS TO WORK.

(1) Do you see that cover.jpg album art displayed on the player itself, when you simply play a music file from that album folder?

(2) Do you see the miniaturized version of that cover.jpg album art in the (2x5) Matrix Browser presentation when you rotate the J3 horizontally (while you're playing a music file, with the cover.jpg currently presented by the player)?

If the answer to either of these questions is NO, then we have one or two problems to solve. Do not complicate the problem solving process by trying to do many other things at the same time, if you want to get the fundamental album art problem solved.

I assure you... this should work perfectly.

So either your JPG's are no good, or there's something else in your J3 setup that is not right. We'll get to the bottom of it, but you can't complicate things.

And if you still show "Friends and Lovers" then you did NOT do the FORMAT I requested.

Quote:
ALSO in a few days I'll be needing the film playback

THe movie playback is fantastic! but I have the following issues!

1)how do you make the subtitle work
I have no idea. Can't help you here at all.

Perhaps someone else can, who's also following this thread and knows something about subtitles.

Quote:
2)I converted a STR into SMI file,but the player doesn't sees it!
3)On conversion SMI...at finish I'll get a SMIL ...is the same thing? with that "L" ?
I honestly have no idea. I do not use subtitles on the videos I have on my J3.

Quote:
*more edit
I've put some audio books,they show in matrix browser but they doesn't in audio folder while browsing
Again, no idea. I don't use audio books and have never played with this feature on the J3.

Coming back to your music folder/file structure... notice from the following screenshot that I have MP3 and FLAC files in my album folder, along with cover.jpg for album art.

Does your \Music folder structure look the same?

Also, my MP3 files are tagged automatically during their production (I use Audiograbber and LAME). My FLAC files are tagged manually using MP3Tag, after they are produced (I use Audiograbber to rip to WAV, then FLAC Frontend to encode WAV to FLAC).

In any case, none of the MP3 or FLAC tags contain imbedded art. I ONLY USE COVER.JPG in the album folder. There are ZERO imbedded art tags.

As shown by Winamp below, all of the MP3/ID3 tags and FLAC/FLAC tags are 100% understandable and complete. The album art shown by Winamp is actually the cover.jpg image in the album folder (just as the J3 does), as there is NOT an imbedded art image inside any tag.

And, as you can see from the following, MP3Tag understands these tags the same way. It just doesn't display external cover.jpg art in the folder as Winamp does. It only shows imbedded album art in a tag, if present.

Last edited by DSperber; 05-04-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I've asked you to reply whether or not your \System\MusicDB folder has any ab_nnn.jpg files in it? You still haven't answered.

No.There is no such thing in my MusicDB(only one file named ALBUMINF)

Quote:
If you don't have any ab_nnn.jpg files in \System\MusicDB then that's why Matrix Browser is not working. And we would then need to solve that mystery.

So... do you or do you not have any ab_nnn.jpg files in your \System\MusicDB folder on the J3?
Nothing

Quote:
You're talking about two different points in time, and are mixing apples and oranges. Or... you really did NOT perform the SD Format you said you did.

"Friends and Lovers" was a sample demo file installed on the J3 by Cowon at the factory. You would only have that file if you still had the Cowon factor-version of the J3 contents.

But if you had actually FORMAT'ed your J3 using the SD Formatter program as I described, you could not possibly have that Cowon-provided "Friends and Lovers" demo file any longer.

So... do you still have "Friends and Lovers" showing somewhere somehow?? If so, then you did NOT do the FORMAT you said you did, and which I requested you do to start over.
English isn't my natal tongue...
Yes there was two points of time,and yes I do not have Friends and Lovers (or anything for that matter,picture,movies) at the moment(after formatting)

Quote:
If you don't still have 'Friends and Lovers", that mentioning that is from an original J3 state that we're going to forget about. I only want to focus on your current J3 situation, which I'd asked you to completely empty by FORMAT using the SD Formatter program, and then copy ONLY ONE ARTIST/ALBUM FOLDER STRUCTURE OVER, and use just that one music folder with a few music files in it to get your situation squared away... before copying thousands of other things to the J3.
Yes,I've done as you've told me

Quote:
Are you saying MP3Tag "fails to work"? What does that mean? And why are you trying to use it at all... just for tag fields like artist, album, year, genre, etc.? Or are you trying to imbed album art JPG's into the tag?
First time I used it only for tag fields
Then I've "discovered" the cover tag and gone nuts(only one track in my device has imbed album art)

Quote:
(1) Do you see that cover.jpg album art displayed on the player itself, when you simply play a music file from that album folder?
No

Quote:
(2) Do you see the miniaturized version of that cover.jpg album art in the (2x5) Matrix Browser presentation when you rotate the J3 horizontally (while you're playing a music file, with the cover.jpg currently presented by the player)?
No

Quote:
If the answer to either of these questions is NO, then we have one or two problems to solve. Do not complicate the problem solving process by trying to do many other things at the same time, if you want to get the fundamental album art problem solved.

I assure you... this should work perfectly.

So either your JPG's are no good, or there's something else in your J3 setup that is not right. We'll get to the bottom of it, but you can't complicate things.
At what size/resolution should the cover/jpg be? I've made them somewhere 192x120 with 6kb

Quote:
Coming back to your music folder/file structure... notice from the following screenshot that I have MP3 and FLAC files in my album folder, along with cover.jpg for album art.

Does your \Music folder structure look the same?
Yes

Quote:
In any case, none of the MP3 or FLAC tags contain imbedded art. I ONLY USE COVER.JPG in the album folder. There are ZERO imbedded art tags.

Erasing the imbedded art tags

Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 PM

About Mp3tag: Is it possible that you forgot to press 'save' after setting the album art for the selected file(s)? That was the first mistake I made before noticing that none of the album art I thought I had imbedded was gone. You always have to save the selected files before you select other ones.

The best resolution for album art on the S9 or J3 is 272x272.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
No.There is no such thing in my MusicDB(only one file named ALBUMINF)
Very very significant.

What is your firmware version?

There was a problem with the J3's firmware back in 2.21, which failed to perform the "check albumart" function at boot time. Thus, there were no ab_nnn.jpg miniature images stored into \System\MusicDB for any new or changed album art JPG's (either as cover.jpg or imbedded art in tags), and thus Matrix Browser had nothing to display.

This was a Cowon-caused firmware bug, and they quickly fixed it with version 2.22 released about three weeks after 2.21 was released.

The problem remained "fixed" in 2.22 and then 2.23, only to see the identical problem resurface again in 2.24. The problem was again reported to Cowon, and once again the fixed it fairly quickly... with version 2.25.

However the problem IS currently fixed if you're running firmware versions 2.22, 2.23 or 2.25. If you are running 2.21 or 2.24, then you have this problem.

What firmware version are you running?

Assuming you have 2.22, 2.23 or 2.25 installed, and that you have a valid cover.jpg image in at least one album folder, you absolutely SHOULD see an ab_nnn.jpg in \System\MusicDB. If you do have a cover.jpg somewhere but don't have an ab_nnn.jpg, let's consider the possibility that your cover.jpg itself is defective.

Quote:
English isn't my native tongue...
No problem.

Quote:
Yes there was two points of time,and yes I do not have Friends and Lovers (or anything for that matter,picture,movies) at the moment(after formatting)
Ok. That explains my confusion with what you were describing.

Quote:
At what size/resolution should the cover/jpg be? I've made them somewhere 192x120 with 6kb.
Perhaps you've broken that JPG you had created.

The J3 will resize anything you throw at it, to display at its native resolution of 272x272 for the music player. You can either do the resizing to 272x272 yourself (say with Photoshop), or you can just store high-quality higher resolution JPG images as the cover.jpg files and let the J3 do its own resizing when it displays them.

As for myself, I produce high-quality 500x500 album art JPGs myself. Also, when downloading somebody else's album art from Amazon I will look for the highest quality one available (best color, contrast, sharpness, quality, etc.) and use it... which almost always are again 500x500.

A beautiful 500x500 album art JPG will get resized to 272x272 by the J3 and will still look gorgeous! So, because of the detail (and the fact that I want it to display as 500x500 on my PC monitor when playing music with Winamp, which also presents an Album Art window), I only have 500x500 images. This works perfectly for me, both for Winamp on the PC as well as on the J3 (where it gets dynamically resized by the J3 to 272x272 but still looks terrific).

Now... you say that you do NOT see your cover.jpg in the normal music player when you play a music file from that folder. This is NOT the way it should work, and is obviously directly related to the other problem of your cover.jpg not showing up in Matrix Browser (i.e. not appearing as a 95x95 resized miniature ab_nnn.jpg in \System\MusicDB.

So, I would say you have really just one problem... namely that your JPG's are "broken". However you made them or wherever you got them from originally, in your attempt to resize them yourself you appear to have produced non-working JPGs.

===>> Clean house completely. Again, delete everything under your \Music parent folder.

Then re-copy just TWO album folders. I don't care if they are for two different artists, so that you end up with two separate \Music\Artist1\album and \Music\Artist2\album structures, or whether they are two albums for one artist so that you get \Music\Artist\album1 and \Music\Artist\album2.

I simply want you to end up with TWO album folders.

To this post I'm attaching two separate 500x500 album art JPG's of mine, for you to download. They happen to be from a Lady GaGa album and an Adele album, but it doesn't matter. They are simply perfectly valid and usable 500x500 album art cover images, and will work perfectly on your J3.

Download them both, and place them into the TWO separate album folders now on your J3. The fact that they're not right for the particular albums is irrelevant.

We only want to prove that if you put two valid cover.jpg images into the two album folders, that (a) they will both appear in your music player when you play music files from within that album, and (b) they will also produce ab_nnn.jpg 95x95 miniatures in \System\MusicDB so that Matrix Browser will display them.

I think you'll agree that though they started at 500x500 that when the J3 resizes them (either to 272x272 for music player, or 95x95 for Matrix Browser), they still look terrific.

NOTE: the second attachment is named cover2.jpg, just so that it could be posted here along with cover.jpg. So when you place that cover2.jpg into your second album cover, be sure to rename it back to cover.jpg which is really what it needs to be named.

Ok... then go through the usual procedure of "safely remove hardware", disconnect the J3 from the PC, reboot the J3, and now play music from those two album folders.

(a) depending on which album's music files you play, you should see either of the two album covers in the player... resized from their 500x500 form to 272x272 for the J3's screen.

(b) if you rotate the J3 horizontally, you will see Matrix Browser and (2x5) cells. Since you only have two album art covers, only 2 of those 10 cells will be populated. But they SHOULD be populated with the two 95x95 ab_nnn.jpg files (which are in \System\MusicDB now, hopefully).

Of course, if you've currently got any imbedded art in the tags of the music files in these two folders, be sure to first use MP3Tag to remove that art. I'm not at all convinced that art is any good anyway, but we're not going to use it even if it was good.

We're shooting for (a) no imbedded album art, and (b) valid cover.jpg art. Once you see that this will work properly on the J3... assuming the art JPG is truly valid... you can decide if you want to use this approach for everything, or if you want a hybrid situation with some cover.jpg and some imbedded art in tags.

But for the moment, just be sure you delete all imbedded art that might be in these music file's tags (and, as was pointed out... remember to push SAVE when you remove the art from the tag).

Tell me how it goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cover.jpg (86.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg cover2.jpg (33.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by DSperber; 05-04-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:59 AM

The pictures you've send me doesn't work,I've dose exactly as you said

My firmware is 2.23

Before formatting,my Matrix Browser was working,sort of.

Beethoven folder was having one picture named "Beethoven"
And I was having a Mp3 file in the root of the folder downloaded from Internet with full tag fiends(including cover)

Should I re-format the same Firmware,or upgrade to 2.25

There is no pictures in system/musicDB

Old 05-05-2011, 09:25 AM

......Okey now it works,I'm happy!!!!

It didn't work in the first time because I (very stupid&lazy) just "save image as" without opening them and then save as..instead of having 500x500 pics I was having 100x100(I think)

Second,I think all of the jpg I've tried were broken,since I googled them as "500x500 picture random"

What is the plan? Get a dedicated pic program(photoshop) to resize them as 500x500?

Only 500x500 works? it couldn't be anything else but squares?

I was using ImageShrink_eng to resize the pics I've downloaded from wallbase.cc

DSperber,Thank you !

This will help other folks!

What programs do you recommend me,or what programs do you use for converting/bit rate/tagging/ etc music / movies

At the moment I'm using Mp3tag(for tagging all my audio files)
Trying Subtitle Workshop(to fix my subtitles)
Now I'm testing ***** Video Converter Ultimate 5.1.26.0828 (movie converting,resizing,bit rate)
And downloading photoshop for my pictures

Thx again!

Another question,there is a way to catalog or something the movie folders?

Browsing is the only way

Because all of my videos shows at once when I use the Video menu, it doesn't matter if they are in root folder or subfolders

Same thing I've notice with txts

Last edited by Asteest; 05-05-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
......Okey now it works,I'm happy!!!!
Excellent news.

So, just to be clear...

(1) You now see both of my album art JPG (which you saved into your two experimental album folders) when you use the regular J3 player.

(2) When you rotate the J3 horizontally, you now see the two miniature JPG's in 2 of the 10 cells in the (2x5) presentation of Matrix Browser.

(3) You must also have two ab_nnn.jpg 95x95 miniatures in \System\MusicDB, which are the resized small versions of my two JPG's which are used for Matrix Browser.

Quote:
It didn't work in the first time because I (very stupid&lazy) just "save image as" without opening them and then save as..instead of having 500x500 pics I was having 100x100(I think)
Well, this still should have been a valid JPG, no matter what its size is.

As long as you saved the two valid JPG's (of any size) with the name "cover.jpg" into the two album folders, it still should have worked.

So I don't know what you did wrong, but if it didn't work at first then you obviously did something wrong.

Then whatever you re-did the second time must have been correct, because you now say "it works".

Hopefully you remember what you did, and how you did it, and you will continue to do things that way going forward.

Quote:
Second,I think all of the jpg I've tried were broken,since I googled them as "500x500 picture random".
You mean your original attempts, which were simply failing?

Just discard them all. Forget about them.

Quote:
What is the plan? Get a dedicated pic program(photoshop) to resize them as 500x500?
If you are going to make your own, by scanning the CD covers at some high-quality resolution, you're going to get a very large TIF (probably).

If you have proper scanner software it should be able to launch Photoshop when the scanning (and possibly de-screening, if you do that as well) is finished. So now you have a huge TIF inside of Photoshop.

[alternatively, some scanners can be invoked from within Photoshop... using the IMPORT (sometimes called "acquire") -> TWAIN method, but the important thing is that you somehow get the scan into Photoshop]

Now, you "crop" the scan, so that you end up with a nice clean square image. Sometimes the CD cover will be more rectangular, so it doesn't have to end up as a square when you crop. The important thing is that you want to crop the scan down to just the actual cover, eliminating anything extra around it that you allowed as "overscan" when you did your SCAN.

Also, it might be necessary for you to "rotate image" a tiny bit, if your placement of the CD cover on the scanner glass wasn't quite perfect.

Again, this is all just because you're trying to end up with a nice, clean, properly cropped album art image (like the two sample JPG's that you got from me).

You may then want to work on the color, or brightness, or contrast, or whatever. Up to you. Photoshop usually does an excellent job of adjusting things with its "auto-..." adjustments. But somethimes it doesn't come out right, and the color of the real CD cover gets ruined by Photoshop. Or, maybe it looks good... but it's a different color and you don't like it.

In this case, you simply UNDO that adjustment, and probably manually adjust things to your satisfaction. You still might use the auto-brightness or auto-contrast adjustments (specifically not using auto-color or auto-levels), and then fine-tune from there with some manual adjustments of whatever you want to adjust.

When you're all done and it looks good to your satisfaction (remember, we're still editing the scanned and cropped TIF), you then "adjust image size" down to 500x500 (at least that's what I do). You specify to Photoshop to "keep aspect ratio" and change the horizontal size to be 500. That will automatically resize the vertical size to whatever it needs to be so that the re-sized image has the same HxW proportions as the large original.

It may not end up being exactly 500x500 because your cropping may not have been absolutely precisely square (maybe the CD cover itself wasn't square), but it's close enough. As long as the horizontal dimension is 500 that's all I care about.

Then you File -> Save as..., and save this re-sized approximately 500x500 image under whatever name you want, wherever you want to put it. You can call it cover.jpg right now and save it in the target album folder, or you can call it whatever you want and put it wherever you want. But of course when you copy it to the album folder for the J3 it needs to be named cover.jpg.

When you save the image in Photoshop, you specify "JPG/JPEG", and Photoshop will then convert from TIF to JPG. It will also ask you what "quality" you want, since JPG is a "lossy" compression method and you are always trading file size for quality. Photoshop's JPG compression algorithm is excellent, so I use a setting of 8, which is the lowest value in the "high quality" range (8-11). There's actually hardly any visible difference between 7 and 8, but 7 is the upper end of "medium quality" which is why I use 8. It's up to you, but the higher the number the larger the file. If you can't tell the difference in the image between a quality of 8 and a quality of 11, you might as well use 8.

That's it... if you want to scan your own CD covers and create your own album art images. It's fun.

Alternatively, you can just go up to the Amazon site for your CD (though the CD may not be available from the manufacturer any longer, it will almost always be listed on the Amazon site and available from private sellers).

On the left upper section of almost every CD's listing page on Amazon, there is a small album art image. The image here is small and crummy, and you don't want to download it (i.e. right-click on the image, and "save image as..."). But right under the image there is usually a link to another page, which says "see n customer images".

If you click on that link, you'll be presented with a second page, where small thumbnails of each customer-submitted album art JPG's are shown. If you left-click on any of these thumbnails the large-size version of that JPG which was uploaded by album art scanners/lovers (like me) will be presented below the line of thumbnails. On the right side of the page you'll see the name of the person who uploaded that image, a vote count from other people who are basically saying this image was good or bad, etc.

If you like the image that's presented, you can download it by right-clicking on the large image (not the thumbnail) and select "save image as...". If you don't like the image that's presented, click on the next thumbnail and repeat until you find a really good one that you like. Then you can download it.

Mostly, you are looking for high-quality 500x500 images (not smaller is my recommendation, but possibly larger is ok such as 600x600). They should be gorgeous to look at on your computer monitor. If you keep clicking on the thumbnails, you'll be able to compare the large image version of each against another one... until you maybe settle on either one or another. You'll go back and forth, until you've got your choice made. Then download it.

For example, that Lady GaGa JPG I posted for you? I have uploaded it to Amazon, so that other people around the world can share my scanning effort and use my album art JPG as their album art. In fact, probably 70% of my album art JPG's were obtained from Amazon, from other people's uploaded JPGs. Only if I can't find one that's acceptable from this method will I take the time and trouble to scan my own... and then upload it to Amazon so that other's can have it as well.

So, here is the Amazon page on which that Lady GaGa CD is for sale. It looks like this:

As you can see, on the left side is says "see all 3 customer images". If you click on that link, you'll get the next page which has the first thumbnail (i.e. the first customer-submitted album art image) pre-selected, and the large version of the JPG below it.

In the case of this JPG, it is the SECOND one which is mine (i.e. that JPG I posted for you). So if you click on the second thumbnail, you'll see my large 500x500 JPG below it. It looks like this:

If you are happy, right-click on the large image and "save image as...". You now have your album art JPG, exactly ready for naming as cover.jpg and placing it in your album folder... thanks to someone else's scanning efforts.

Ok... as a second example (and for you to practice with), here is the Amazon page for Adele's "19" CD. It looks like this:

Again, I have uploaded my own album art JPG for this CD as well. This is the same JPG that I posted for you earlier, along with the Lady GaGa JPG.

Note that this time there are "4 customer images" for you to choose from, one of which is mine. You yourself can click on each of the four thumbnails and see for yourself the difference in quality between them. You can then decide for yourself which one you like and are willing to use as your "cover.jpg", and download it. Or, if you don't like any then either (a) look on another site that provides album art JPG's, or (b) scan your own.

That second page for "19" looks like this:

Quote:
Only 500x500 works? it couldn't be anything else but squares?
See my detailed discussion above.

My own recommendation is that you should use 500x500 JPG's as your goal. There is no reason at all to re-size what you download from Amazon if you find high-quality JPG's there and they're 500x500. That's perfect, in my opinion.

Or, if you scan your own and use Photoshop, produce 500x500 JPG results with a quality of 8.

500x500 is pretty much the standard on Amazon for "high quality" album art, and many people scan with an iPod as the intended use. There are other high-quality album sites where 600x600 is the minimum, and HUGE versions are also virtually always available... if you are a lunatic about your album art and want it to be 2400x2400 or something.

For me, 500x500 is perfect. It looks great on my PC at 500x500 when playing music with Winamp, and it looks great on my J3 resized by the J3 down to 272x272. It even looks great resized by the J3 down to 95x95 for Matrix Browser.

If you start with a large high-quality 500x500 JPG in the first place, the J3 will do a terrific job resizing it down to 272x272 for normal player, and down to 95x95 for Matrix Browser. There is simply no reason to do anything but collect high-quality album art JPG's at this 500x500 resolution and use them everywhere, exactly as they are.

Quote:
I was using ImageShrink_eng to resize the pics I've downloaded from wallbase.
Play around with retrieving 500x500 high-quality JPG's from Amazon for the music album folders in your collection. Don't waste any time resizing or editing them, if they're acceptable as-is. If you can't find something that satisfies you, you can either try another similar online site that provides downloadable album art images, or just scan your own.

Quote:
What programs do you recommend me,or what programs do you use for converting/bit rate/tagging/ etc music
I use Audiograbber to rip (to WAV as intermediate), invoke LAME for encoding WAV to MP3, and then Audiograbber does the tagging of the MP3 files.

I have Audiograbber set up to retain the intermediate WAV files, so that if I want to produce a FLAC version I can just use the same WAV file that went into LAME to become the MP3.

For FLAC production I use "FLAC Frontend". This is a GUI frontend to the FLAC encoder, reading WAV input files and producing FLAC output.

I manually delete the WAV files when I'm done. Or, if I'm not going to create FLAC I'll change Audiograbber to automatically delete the intermediate WAV files (required for LAME, to encode to MP3) when LAME's finished producing the MP3 file.

I use MP3Tag to complete the FLAC tags for FLAC files, because FLAC Frontend is not all that great in the tag department. I also use MP3Tag to correct or edit ID3 tags in MP3 files, if I need to.

I also use MP3-Tag/Studio for other ID3 tag-related editing, because I'm familiar with it after many years of use... before I discovered MP3Tag.

I NEVER IMBED ALBUM ART IN TAGS. I ONLY USE COVER.JPG IN ALBUM FOLDERS, 100% OF THE TIME. But that's just me.

Quote:
Another question,there is a way to catalog or something the movie folders?

Browsing is the only way
I don't understand what you're asking here.

I have my video files stored under \Videos on the J3, just like I have my music files under \Music.

I do NOT have any folder structure for my video files, because there really aren't enough of them to worry about some kind of organization... unlike music files, where I have about 6500 and \Music\Artist\Album folder structure makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Because all of my videos shows at once when I use the Video menu, it doesn't matter if they are in root folder or subfolders
Correct. That's just how the J3 handles video.

So there's really no reason to have anything other than say \Videos, with all your video files right under it with no further sub-folders.

Quote:
Same thing I've notice with txts
Yes.

Last edited by DSperber; 05-05-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:07 AM

Today I will put my Albums (with cover )

Second.
I haven't seen 10 cell in matrix browser

If I was having one album with no cover then there was only one cell
Now I have 3 albums with two covers and a cell,

I will test everything

Ohhh...and the first time when I've put your covers(the small format) was exactly the same as I did with the working ones at the moment

And Yes,I have two miniature pics in system/musicDB

*LE
(((
Damn,nothing works now,and I've followed exactly your steps

Here's what happened:

1)I've deleted those covers,then I surfed on amazon for a cover pic,I had opened and saved as.. (as usually)
2)When I opened the player I noticed that there was the same album covers
3)I realized the J3's system resized pics,deleted them
4)Now the matrix browser is again useless, one of my album has a cover show when I'm playing (normal) but when flipping the player (matrix) it doesn't show

Can you copy this image,replace into one of your albums and confirm it's broken?!http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...56011&s=dmusic

It might be already broken?

I will anyway try to get my Album art, I downloaded and tested (32) pictures from different sites nothing works

And I have another question...all this: Plug the player>Safety remove it >take off the usb from player and repeat this sequence wouldn't damage the device? I'm very careful when I plug the player and when it must be unplugged

Last edited by Asteest; 05-06-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Can you copy this image,replace into one of your albums and confirm it's broken?!http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...56011&s=dmusic

It might be already broken?
One question and one answer at a time.

There is nothing wrong with this image from Amazon.

You must still not be performing the proper sequence of steps, or you're not saving it correctly, or something.

I went to this Amazon page, performed the several steps required to download the album cover (which, if done properly gives you a true 500x500 JPG since that happens to be the size of the Amazon-provided album cover JPG), downloaded it and saved it as "cover.jpg" in one of my album folders (on my PC's music collection).

Then I opened Winamp and played one of the music files in that album folder. Note that Winamp handles "cover.jpg" exactly as the J3 handles it, so if Winamp can display this cover.jpg as album art then so would the J3 do the same. I didn't need to copy this cover.jpg over to my J3 to know that (although I could have).

Here is what the album cover looks like when using Winamp to play a music file from the album folder in which that Amazon-provided 500x500 JPG was saved as "cover.jpg":

Here are the exact sequence of steps I performed. You should obtain the exact same results I did, if you duplicate the exact same steps as I did.

(1) I clicked on your provided link, and was of course sent to the correct Amazon page. It looks like this:

(2) Notice that on the left side, there is a link that says "see larger image". There is no mention of any "customer images" yet, and that's because nobody other than Amazon has made an album art image for this CD available.

Unlike my Lady GaGa and Adele CD's where several people have contributed their own album art images to supplement the album art image from Amazon itself, in the case of this CD you've pointed me to there are NO CUSTOMER IMAGES. There is only the one image, from Amazon itself.

Nevertheless, you must click on that "see larger image" link if you really do want to get to the LARGER IMAGE... which is what you want to do. The image shown on the CD page itself is a resized smaller version just for display on this page... and is NOT THE LARGER IMAGE in higher quality which is the one you want to reach and download.

Note that since there are not at least a few alternative customer-submitted images to pick from, we're not going to have a choice. If this LARGER IMAGE (from Amazon itself) is crummy, you're either just going to have to live with it, or scan your own, or try some other web sites to see if they have a better image.

Anyway, if you click on the "see larger image" link you will get a new window which in fact shows that one-and-only "larger image" containing the one-and-only Amazon-provided album art JPG in its LARGE SIZE. It is from this large original that the smaller re-sized image was obtained for the original CD page, but this second window now shows the original LARGE IMAGE for you to download and save as your cover.jpg in the album folder (for your PC collection, and eventually also for your J3 album folder).

It looks like this:

(3) Now, move your mouse to the inside of that large display album cover image and right-click. You'll get a popup menu and you want to select the "save image as..." item:

(4) You'll then get the standard "save image as..." dialog window, with the file name area pre-populated with whatever the JPG file name is on the Amazon site. Of course, this is NOT the file name we want to save the image as. We want to save it as "cover.jpg".

So, on the "save image as..." dialog window, navigate to the desired target album folder (on your PC music collection, most likely) into which you want to save this Amazon album art image. When you have navigated successfully, then overtype the file name to be "cover.jpg" as I've done in the following:

(5) When you've got the "save image as..." dialog (a) navigated to the correct folder for saving into, and (b) file name to be saved typed as cover.jpg, now push the SAVE button.

That's it.

(6) If you have an image browser program (like ACDSee), the presence of the saved cover.jpg album art image file can be confirmed, as follows. Note that (a) it is properly named cover.jpg as we want, and (b) it happened to be a 500x500 image, although we didn't know that exact size until now.

Most people (like me) put the image dimensions in the comment area when they submit their own "customer image" to Amazon, as I've done for the two previous examples... just so that other users who browse the available album art images available will have a clue as to the size.

But even without an actual image dimension shown in the Amazon display window, I can tell it was probably 500x500 just because of how large it was in that second window when I pushed the "see larger image" link. I'm very familiar with these images, and how big they look, and what their actual dimensions therefore must be.

Anyway, using ACDSee to browse my album folder I can see that the saved JPG was indeed (a) cover.jpg, and (b) 500x500 which is what I was hoping for.

(7) I can also double-check things, by using Windows Explorer or any other File Manager to look into that album folder:

(8) Once the cover.jpg has been saved from the Amazon page to the desired album folder on my PC, I can then copy it over to the corresponding album folder on the J3.

And just as Winamp displays that cover.jpg file in the Album Art window when playing a music file from that album folder on the PC, the J3 will also display that cover.jpg file (resizing it dynamically from the 500x500 size to the 272x272 screen for display) when playing a music file from that album folder on the J3.

Using Winamp to browse the tag for a sample music file in that album folder on the PC, you can see that the presence of the 500x500 cover.jpg file in that album folder has been understood perfectly.

Now... you do the same thing. You should end up with the exact same results I did.