android
Old 04-24-2011, 09:14 PM

Default help needed - j3 won't turn on - again...

Hi all,
I'd really love to get some advice from you... Here's the story.
I bought a 32g cowon j3 in september 2010 and it never had a problem until a month ago; it has always worked beautifully, it never froze, battery life was great ect.
Now, a month ago, with battery around 25-50% I set the alarm clock at night and then while playing a song I turn it off. That's how I usually do to set the music alarm, I've done that for months. In the morning I realize that it never rang and that it won't turn on. It looked just dead. Tried the reset button, nothing. Tried to plug it in the computer, also nothing, the pc won't see it. I then leave it for a day attached to the ac charger and try again, still nothing.
Ok, so I send it back to Cowon for repair, it was still on warranty. After some time I ask for an update in the Jetaudio customer service chat. The guy tells me that they managed to "fully charge my unit" and that they were now testing whether everything was ok. I then asked if they could tell me what exactly the problem was and how I could try and fix it on my own if it happened again. They guy replied that I should try to charge it with an ac wall charger, and I replied that i did try that too; then he asked if it was an official Cowon charger, and since I told him it wasn't, he said maybe the voltage wasn't right or something and he said I should buy their original charger. Fine, I bought that too, I doubt that it's any different from the old one I had but whatever.
Ok, so the mp3 player got back 2 days ago. All the songs were there, so the memory was untouched, it was working perfectly and I managed to use the alarm clock as well. Then yesterday, again the same story: I set the alarm and turn it off, and this morning it was dead again. It's been plugged to the ac wall charger since this morning and still no sign of life.
SOOOOO FRUSTRATED! I'm definitely talking to the customer service again tomorrow, but in the mean time I wanted to see if any of you have any advice....
Thanks in advance for your replies!

ninive

Last edited by ninive; 04-24-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: just realized a typo in the title...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-25-2011, 01:17 PM

Default update from JetAudio...

Not that anyone necessarily cares, but here is what they replied:

Dear Customer,

I would advise that you resend your player in to our service dept. with the
exact detailed description on how the player was used before the
malfunction. As I see on you previous RMA repair, our service dept. tested
your player for about a week without noticing any problems. We can reissue
you a new RMA number for you to use. Also, once our service dept. receives
your unit they will retest based on the problem description you note. Thank
you.

Does this mean that the unit was working when they received it?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:05 PM

Let me try one more time with a specific question:
do you think I should try and use this Tcctool everyone is talking about here? If I manage to unbrick it will my files be still there? Also, is Tcctool ok to be used with Windows 7 64 bit?
Thanks

Old 04-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninive View Post
Let me try one more time with a specific question:
do you think I should try and use this Tcctool everyone is talking about here? If I manage to unbrick it will my files be still there? Also, is Tcctool ok to be used with Windows 7 64 bit?
Thanks
Not that sure about Tcctool, but did you try pushing the reset button? I am aware you have an ongoing issue but maybe resetting it will spring it back to life.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 PM

Tried that too, reset button + on switch, just reset then on , keeping it pressed for like a minute...nothing.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

I hate to say this bur unless if anyone else thinks differently, you might have to return it again for service. Tcctool is supposed to be very helpful in reving bad J3s but unfortunately I don't know enough about it to recommend it or not.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 PM

Yeah I guess tcctool is for cases in which the computer manages to see the player, which is not my case...

Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 AM

Hi ninive,
So how is your J3 now? I just had the exact same problem happening to me today, but 2 differences from your case is:
1) I pause my songs before turning it off for alarm clock,
2) I've kept it plugged in AC charger all the time it's at home, never on the PC unless to transfer files.
3) OK, make it 3 differences...my J3 is 15months old, 3 months out of warranty!

Did the customer service advise you how to avoid this problem?

I'm guessing you're probably in US where they have service centres there, but I think in Australia they'll have to send it say...to Korea for service?

Thank you