android
Old 02-09-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
My uneducated opinion is that the treatment sounds dodgy. Unfortunately selling hope to desperate people is a tried and true strategy.
Indeed. I can't find anything about the credentials of the site authors.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-09-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Yeh i'm the biggest cynic there is! But i already have a sansaclip (or few hehe) lying around and am in need of another paid or heads/cans anyway. Spending 30quid for the HD660 Superlux's ain't exactly breaking the bank balance. I don't mind giving something a shot if its not too expensive.
I have the Superlux 668Bs - they're excellent. The 660s are a more of a closed design, yes?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes more of a closed design, will let you know how the two of them compare when the 660's arrive (ordered yesterday).

All therapy is questionable imho. I'm a trained counsellor (tho not practising) and although i can see the merits and possible positives steming from counselling it's not clear that counselling (even by the most skilled practitioner) can assist a person, nor can we wind the clock back and see if without therapy the individual 'sorted themselves out' without counselling.
My son has speech therapy, but we'll always wonder if it actually assisted him (or by how much of a % it did) and will never know unless we could wind back time and this time do NO therapy and compare the end results (further down the track).

But in this life we can see logic why something might or should work and we weigh it up vs cost and make decisions there of.

As it's specifically auditory therapy i will be sure to keep you informed of any results we think can be attributed to Therapeutic Listening.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:14 AM

The skeptic in me also finds this therapeutic listening thing a little dodgy but if there is any chance that it can be beneficial, it doesn't really hurt to try.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Bruce , I don't know if this is anything that would be of use to you, but it is something I stumbled across.....
http://www.audioforge.ca/content.php?tc=122&mg=722

Old 02-16-2012, 07:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

OMG!!! Marv, the app is $99.99!!! WTF?!?!?!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I didn't even look at the price...not knowing much about what Bruce was looking for, I just figured it might be worth a look.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:04 PM

Seems steep

Old 02-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Unfortunately, therapeutic tools for those with disabilities have a habit of being expensive (significantly higher than the $100 here, which seems cheap compared to other therapies). If this app proved to have good and therapeutic functionality (as well as a try-and-buy-or-return policy--although I see that there is a 99-cent demo. version that one can try out, which is better than nothing and, in fact, welcome to see, relatively speaking), I would be more than happy to buy it for a family member or friend with difficulties. Really, seeing software for many hundreds and thousands of dollars in the therapeutic field is not surprising (unfortunately)--which the app itself notes as a selling point.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Unfortunately, therapeutic tools for those with disabilities have a habit of being expensive (significantly higher than the $100 here, which seems cheap compared to other therapies)..
Yes, I remember being staggered by the price ($200? $400?) of the screen magnifier program some tried to sell my father for his PC. I think a decent one is built into Vista?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanwhile View Post
Yes, I remember being staggered by the price ($200? $400?) of the screen magnifier program some tried to sell my father for his PC. I think a decent one is built into Vista?
Yep, it is (in Windows Vsita and 7). A nice thing of the software and app. technology revolution is the bringing of these prices down, often dramatically.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Bruce , I don't know if this is anything that would be of use to you, but it is something I stumbled across.....
[URL]
I had not seen this, will look into it (and mention it to our Occupational Therapists). Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Yeh that's not expensive at all, I seen apps for $250 on the ipad for therapeutic/disabled categories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Unfortunately, therapeutic tools for those with disabilities have a habit of being expensive (significantly higher than the $100 here, which seems cheap compared to other therapies). If this app proved to have good and therapeutic functionality (as well as a try-and-buy-or-return policy--although I see that there is a 99-cent demo. version that one can try out, which is better than nothing and, in fact, welcome to see, relatively speaking), I would be more than happy to buy it for a family member or friend with difficulties. Really, seeing software for many hundreds and thousands of dollars in the therapeutic field is not surprising (unfortunately)--which the app itself notes as a selling point.
^^ Yup. What i find interesting is WHY the price tag so high. Is it a supply/demand issue (fewer buying this app than say Angry Birds, so price has to be more to make the development worthwhile), or has a lot of work went into its production etc. Prolly a bit of both.

Anyways i'm feeling the LOVE lol, thanks guys <3

Old 08-12-2013, 09:43 PM

Hey BruceBanner,
I started reading and following your story related to TL and your son a couple of days ago. I saw how you were going to purchase and have your son try the Superlux HD660.

If he's using or has used it, what kind of feedback would you give about it compared to the Sennheiser HD500a?

Thanks

Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I got as far as buying them but never actually put into practice (bad parent i know!).
To be honest Woody (my son) is doing pretty well despite his language/autism difficulties and that has made us lazy to be trying other therapies. But we do have the clip, headphones and microsd card so we're ready to start, just need to do it!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:29 PM

Default Further information

I too am looking into this and am a bit confused as to the requirerments so I emailed both Sennheiser and Scandisk to get their response.

Sennheiser responded with this:

Hello,
The HD500A's are primarily used with children who might be rougher on headphones be it because they are very young or because they have developmental delays. If we look at filling your requirement of frquency range or OHMS, you can use any of our mid to high range headphones. Example: HD 439's and higher.
As per your MP3 question, I was told by our technical department that it would work because it has low impedance,
Thank you

Please note my extension has changed
Michelle Fisette

Order Desk agent - Ontario
Agente Bureau des Commandes - Ontario
Sennheiser Canada Inc
221 Labrosse Avenue, Pte-Claire, QC, H9R 1A3

Scandisk's response (not quite as detailed - must be classified information)

Thanks for emailing SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

I would like to inform you that this information about the Hz and Ohms are not pulished.

Please refer to your My SanDisk at http://kb.sandisk.com anytime to see all of your incident history and product registration information. You can log in using your email address as your login and the password that you created.

Also, you can visit http://kb.sandisk.com, our online keyword searchable Knowledgebase, to easily find answers to your Technical Support and Customer Service questions for all of SanDisk's products. Simply enter your search terms and our Knowledgebase will search an extensive database of commonly asked questions as well as our online forums at http://forums.sandisk.com to provide you with the most complete answers possible.

Best regards,
Samantha C.
SanDisk Technical Support

My response

There seems to be to many contradictions in what is required for headphones, especially once you start looking at the different therapy programs out there. Having a very basic understanding of Audio Therapy I understand the importance of being able to reach the right frequency; I would still like further confirmation that impedance will not impact the headphones ability to reach that frequency and on the source's ability to deliver it.

Having said all that, The models Sennheiser recommended all have an impedance of 32 ohms. On several of the other Auditory Therapy sites that all recommend the Sennheiser 500A they also have lower impedance headphones such as AKG’s and Pro-Luxe. I am going to take the chance and purchase a pair of AKG – K142HD’s as a local store is blowing them out at 70% off.
Frequency response: 18Hz - 24kHz
Input Impedence: 55 Ohms

Last edited by schandois; 08-22-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Additional information

Old 08-26-2013, 09:21 AM

BruceBanner,

Thanks for the reply. Is your son using the HD500's or something else in therapy? Or is he not using them at all? We're trying to decide if other people like yourself are using the HD500's at home with the Sansa Clip+ and finding that it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I got as far as buying them but never actually put into practice (bad parent i know!).
To be honest Woody (my son) is doing pretty well despite his language/autism difficulties and that has made us lazy to be trying other therapies. But we do have the clip, headphones and microsd card so we're ready to start, just need to do it!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:33 AM

schandois,
I'm new at this. Help me understand the importance of the impedance. The HD 500A have a high impedance of 150 ohm. But you refer to headphones with a low impedance of 32 ohms. I was thinking you'd be looking for headphones closer to 150 ohm. I'm confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schandois View Post
I too am looking into this and am a bit confused as to the requirerments so I emailed both Sennheiser and Scandisk to get their response.

Sennheiser responded with this:

Hello,
The HD500A's are primarily used with children who might be rougher on headphones be it because they are very young or because they have developmental delays. If we look at filling your requirement of frquency range or OHMS, you can use any of our mid to high range headphones. Example: HD 439's and higher.
As per your MP3 question, I was told by our technical department that it would work because it has low impedance,
Thank you

Please note my extension has changed
Michelle Fisette

Order Desk agent - Ontario
Agente Bureau des Commandes - Ontario
Sennheiser Canada Inc
221 Labrosse Avenue, Pte-Claire, QC, H9R 1A3

Scandisk's response (not quite as detailed - must be classified information)

Thanks for emailing SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

I would like to inform you that this information about the Hz and Ohms are not pulished.

Please refer to your My SanDisk at http://kb.sandisk.com anytime to see all of your incident history and product registration information. You can log in using your email address as your login and the password that you created.

Also, you can visit http://kb.sandisk.com, our online keyword searchable Knowledgebase, to easily find answers to your Technical Support and Customer Service questions for all of SanDisk's products. Simply enter your search terms and our Knowledgebase will search an extensive database of commonly asked questions as well as our online forums at http://forums.sandisk.com to provide you with the most complete answers possible.

Best regards,
Samantha C.
SanDisk Technical Support

My response

There seems to be to many contradictions in what is required for headphones, especially once you start looking at the different therapy programs out there. Having a very basic understanding of Audio Therapy I understand the importance of being able to reach the right frequency; I would still like further confirmation that impedance will not impact the headphones ability to reach that frequency and on the source's ability to deliver it.

Having said all that, The models Sennheiser recommended all have an impedance of 32 ohms. On several of the other Auditory Therapy sites that all recommend the Sennheiser 500A they also have lower impedance headphones such as AKGs and Pro-Luxe. I am going to take the chance and purchase a pair of AKG K142HDs as a local store is blowing them out at 70% off.
Frequency response: 18Hz - 24kHz
Input Impedence: 55 Ohms

Old 08-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The headphones we were PLANNING to use (have bought, have here at home, just not done the therapy lol) were the Superlux HD-660's. They have 150 Ohms and significantly cheaper than the recommended sennheisers.