android
Old 04-21-2011, 04:13 AM

Default Album art in msc mode?

As title

When using the R1 as an MTP device album art goes over no problem, when using MSC i get nothing.

I don't use embedded images as i prefer the folder.jpg approach, i can verify that all my album folders have the correct jpg in them.

I use media monkey to sync my music and i have found a .alb file in the album folders on the R1 after syncing in MTP. In MSC no such file is created, i have the option in media monkey to carry the folder.jpg over and that file is present in the album folder on the R1 and can be viewed in the pictures folder but not as album art.

Tearing my hair out trying to fix this, any advice?

Regards,
Underworld.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-21-2011, 06:42 AM
Samsung Moderator

Samsung DAPs do not support folder.jpg or cover.jpg files. The MTP + MediaMonkey is just a trick to pass this restriction. But that's normal that doesn't work in MSC mode

Old 04-21-2011, 07:09 AM

OK, so album art will only come across as MTP?

Leads to another question, some albums when transferred via mtp cause the player to crash on play back (i have found 2 so far, probably more) although they are listed in the file structure along with the album art. Yet when transferred via MSC they play fine.

Which is very annoying and utterly confusing, don't suppose anyone has some theories?

Regards,

Underworld

Old 04-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underworld40k View Post
OK, so album art will only come across as MTP?
If no embedded in tags, yes.
Officially the R1 only supports album arts embedded in tags of MP3 and WMA files only

Quote:
Leads to another question, some albums when transferred via mtp cause the player to crash on play back (i have found 2 so far, probably more) although they are listed in the file structure along with the album art. Yet when transferred via MSC they play fine.

Which is very annoying and utterly confusing, don't suppose anyone has some theories?

Regards,

Underworld
I assume that's probably related to the album art? If you transfer the same albums in MTP mode without album art, playback doesn't crash, does it?

Anyway, I've always thought MTP is a shitty mode. I harassed Samsung 2 years long to get the MSC mode back (P3, Q2) and I harassed them 1 year long to get the MSC mode as default setting (Q3, U6). So I will never advise you to use the MTP mode

Old 04-21-2011, 07:38 AM

Cheers for the clarification, testing embedded alburm art now.

Unfortunately i really want abum art which seems to rule out MSC leaving me with MTP, i would much rather use MSC but i dont think its going to happen. Unless embedded album art will show up if transfered via MSC?

Update:

Embedded image hasnt fixed the problem of albums crashing.

Will try deleting the .alb file and see what happens.

Update 2:

Removing the .alb file has worked! Embedded art is present and the song plays, although this was in MTP mode.
Now to adjust all my album art to smaller sizes and start embedding...

Update 3:

MSC transfer with embedded art a success!
Only have to worry about increasing file size now which means having to edit all my art, anyone got good recommendations for en mass jpg resizing/editing?

Anyway with my original questioned answered i should probably stop going off topic.

Thanks lebellium, much appreciated.

Last edited by Underworld40k; 04-21-2011 at 08:06 AM.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Samsung Moderator

For mass resizing I use Photoshop but maybe it is also possible to do it with the freeware Gimp

I think it would be easier to use a tagging tool such as the famous and awsome mp3tag (well, I'm the French translator, I'm not really objective ) and use the websources to get automatically a good album art (500*500 and ~50-100KB would be fine on the R1 for example)

Old 04-21-2011, 09:23 AM

Have mp3 tag for a while although ive let media monkey handle most of my tagging, i was thinking of really knocking the resolution down to around the 300*300 area to keep the file size as small as possible without destroying detail, if i have enough free space i may well look at keeping the resolution higher.

Thanks again

Old 04-21-2011, 03:19 PM

Another question on the MSC transfers, how can i put play lists on, the file shows up but when selected tells me that the file is empty?

Regards,

Underworld.

Last edited by Underworld40k; 04-21-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Samsung Moderator

What's the format of your playlists? M3U?
Samsung DAPs do not support m3u playlists.

In MSC mode you can use EmoDio to make compatible SPL playlists or use this online converter tool to convert your M3U playlists into SPL format.

In MTP mode you can make PLA playlists directly in the Windows Explorer.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:19 PM

A veritable font of knowledge, thanks for all the help!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:38 PM

failing to get the play lists to work, any chance that you can give a detailed step by step process, currently im creating the play lists in media monkey and exporting them as m3u files, then converting them and saving that file to the R1 playlist folder.

Regards,

Underworld

Old 04-22-2011, 04:08 AM
Samsung Moderator

Open the SPL playlist with the notepad and check if it looks like that:

Code:
SPL PLAYLIST
VERSION 1.00

\Music\SYSTEM OF A DOWN\2002 Steal This Album!\01 Chic 'N' Stu - System Of A Down.mp3
\Music\NIGHTWISH\2004 Once\01 Dark Chest Of Wonders - Nightwish.mp3
\Music\CHILDREN OF BODOM\1997 Something Wild\01 Deadnight Warrior - Children Of Bodom.mp3
\Music\RONALD JENKEES\Selection_Jenkees\01 Derty - Ronald Jenkees.mp3
\Music\RONALD JENKEES\Selection_Jenkees\01 Disorganized Fun - Ronald Jenkees.mp3
\Music\RAMMSTEIN\2006 Völkerball (2cd)\cd 2\01 Du Riechst So Gut [Live] - Rammstein.mp3

END PLAYLIST

Old 04-22-2011, 05:03 AM

The SPL file is empty, i checked the m3u files and they have a similar text line to the example you have posted, is there an option im missing in the conversion settings?

Regards,
Underworld.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:14 AM
Samsung Moderator

Post your M3U playlist in attachment, I'll try to convert it myself

Old 04-22-2011, 07:12 AM

Cheers, i will attach one, but if possible i would still like detailed steps as i have 20 or playlists that i have built.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Rammstein Set List.zip (664 Bytes, 2 views)

Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Samsung Moderator

I asked your playlist to check what's wrong with it

And I found the issue. Where is the "music library" folder? On your computer or on your R1? I assume on your computer. That's the problem. You have to create playlists directly with the files on your R1, that means you have to connect your R1 to the PC in MSC mode and in MediaMonkey, Winamp or whatever software you have to select the files directly from the R1.

If your music files on the R1 are in the default "music" folder, the contents of the playlist has to be something like:
"\Music\name of the song.mp3", actually like in my example in the previous post.

Nothing special to do with the online converter tool, just select "Don't add DNSe data to SPL playlists" and then click on "submit".

PS: I was at show at the Arenes de Nimes in 2005 but unfortunately I don't appear on the DVD Völkerball^^

Old 04-22-2011, 07:32 AM

Think i may have found the error, the spl.files have an invalid file structure, they are referencing my pc library rather than converting it to the R1 library, which explains why there is no file found, do i have to create the playlist on the R1 BEFORE conversion?

If so how do i go about doing that?

Regards,
underworld.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:40 AM

Cheers, will get on with sorting out the playlists.

Quote:
PS: I was at show at the Arenes de Nimes in 2005 but unfortunately I don't appear on the DVD Völkerball^^
Insanely jealous, although i saw them twice last year.

EDIT:

If i switch to MTP and then sync the play lists from my library it appears to work fine, so i may just use mtp for play list syncing and MSC for everything else as the process of building play lists on the player seem to be a pain (especially as i have auto play lists set up in media monkey designed to generate play-lists with music that is only on the player.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Samsung Moderator

Yeah, I must admit it is easier to create playlists in MTP mode. Probably the only advantage of this shitty mode
Maybe I should write a tutorial for playlists on Samsung DAPs

BTW, please edit your posts to avoid double posts.

I also saw them at Paris in December 2009 but that was not as magical as in the very old Roman Arena of Nimes^^ I wish I had seen them in Berlin in 1998. Seems to be the best show ever

Old 04-22-2011, 04:11 PM

Ok, tried the converter again as mpt is telling me that there is no space to transfer the files when there clearly is and i can put the files on fine with MSC.

The playlists have the structure of the R1 but the converted files are just empty in notepad :S

Will attach a playlist when i next have a chance. Any theory's on what's wrong with it while i wait?

Regards,

Underworld.