android
Old 04-20-2011, 10:35 AM

Help Issue Copying files to J3

Hi

I've had my J3 for about 8 months and when ever I've plugged it into a windows XP machine it has shown up as 2 drives, one for it's internal storage and one for external (SD) card. And using windows Explorer I've been able to copy files to and from it.

Until yesterday

Now it shows up as a Cowon J3 as a device and I can't copy files to it. When I expand the Cowon J3 device I see internal and external storage folders under it, but I can't copy to it (though it will let me delete). I get a warning before I copy that the file has properties outside the limitations of the device and it won't be able to play it. When I say copy anyway, I then get a message that the device has been disconnected or has stopped responding.

If I take the SD card out and stick it in my phone I can copy it to the SD card and when I put the card back in the J3 the video file plays fine.

Anyone else seeing this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-20-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheypat View Post
I've had my J3 for about 8 months and when ever I've plugged it into a windows XP machine it has shown up as 2 drives, one for it's internal storage and one for external (SD) card. And using windows Explorer I've been able to copy files to and from it.

Until yesterday

Now it shows up as a Cowon J3 as a device and I can't copy files to it. When I expand the Cowon J3 device I see internal and external storage folders under it, but I can't copy to it (though it will let me delete).
Sounds like you unwittingly changed the USB connection mode from MSC to MTP.

MSC triggers the assignment of drive letters by Windows when the device is connected. And you must use the "safely remove hardware" method first, before disconnecting.

MTP shows the J3 as a device (Cowon J3), with "internal storage" and "external storage" expanded under it.

These are VERY different.

You should check this, and go back to MSC if you are now at MTP.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:50 AM

Thankyou - one of my children had been playing with it, so I guess that is what has happened. Thanks for replying to me.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:47 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm curious: what is the purpose of the MTP mode?

Tags
copying files