android
Old 05-01-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olen View Post
Okay, so I actually am thinkin' about maybe grabbing a inexpensive pair to get me by as i have forgotten just how beat up my current pair where. Just ordered a Clip+ 4gig and a 16gig SD card for $50, and I'm now looking for a good pair of inexpensive phones. So, would you all recommend the Maximo iMetal iM-590's? Or would the MEElectronics A151-BK's be better?
By all accounts the A151 is better than the iM-590. I will have the A151 in Tuesday to decide for myself. The real question is probably how much better is the A151? Is it enough to justify the cost? Now that the A151 is $70 on Amazon and Amazon has dropped the iM-590 down to $45 you are looking at a $25 difference. A few things worth considering though. The iM-590 has bright sound signature while the A151 has a dark sound signature. The iM-590 is dynamic and the A151 balanced armature. The iM-590 has a very microphonic cloth while the A151 has a near mircophonic-less braided cable. While A151 probably bests the iM-590 in sound quality, I think these things are just as important to consider.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-01-2011, 11:14 PM

I believe what I have heard about the comfort of the A151 and the quality of the cord just may justify the price difference. As well as the variety of tips and the option to buy aftermarket tips. Could anyone else who has experience with these phones possibly chime in?

Old 05-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ I haven't heard the A151, but it's no secret I do like the i590s quite a lot. I agree nearly across the board with cnhardwick's assessment of the Maximos, adding that at 45USD I feel they are a steal. When they were jacked up to 55USD recently I still felt they were worth it but not quite so much.

Aftermarket tips for the i590s might be an issue with their bi-flange design. I have not had to look for tips as I have like 3 full sets on hand as a bonus result of an RMA I had with Maximo.

Accessories-wise, you won't find a more complete [and decent quality] set included at almost any price.

One thing about the i590 cable. I have had both versions of the i590 - the original cloth cable with the metal plug end and now the newer one with an angled, molded plastic plug. Indeed, the original one had some pretty bad microphonics at times - the cloth was also a bit stiff and a known manufacturing problem cropped up. Due to its relative stiffness, it seems the cord kinked quite a bit, resulting in some of the internal wire poking through. This happened to me.

The replacement cord type is much more supple fabric and seems to offer much less microphonics and far less kinking.

Visually I liked the original cord better, but happy about the improvement.

Best I can tell ya Olen. Cheers and good luck and post back what you decide on...
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-02-2011, 08:26 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
I believe what I have heard about the comfort of the A151 and the quality of the cord just may justify the price difference. As well as the variety of tips and the option to buy aftermarket tips. Could anyone else who has experience with these phones possibly chime in?
I'm currently finishing up a review on the A151s, wait a few days and I'll post it. If you can't wait, for the price they're a nice entry to balance armature driven IEMs, good detail, light weight & virtually microphonics free cable, good clear sound reproduction and a slight bit of warmth. You can see a picture of them I posted here and here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 AM

^Looking forward to that review WalkGood.

As far as tips for the iM-590 goes, you do not have to use the unique stock biflanges. I use Sony Hybrids and they work just fine. I am sure there are other after markets out there too.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Hmmm, good to know about the i590s and Sony Hybrid tips. I never bother to try em myself.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-02-2011, 12:55 PM

For reference, these are my current portable headphones. I do like how small the i590's are, but after reading some reviews I'm not sure. The review I read said it was slightly analytical, and for the listening I'm going to be doing I want something more fun and warm. I will mostly be listening to these on the bus, In school, around the house while mowing, doing outside work, etc... As well as when I'm going labor work during the summer. (Includes mowing, lawn care, and anything else they need done) So that is why comfort is so important for me. The other thing that is appealing about the A151's is the triple flange tip, I have never used a triple flange tip before but I feel it would Isolate very well for when I'm going things such as mowing, or operating loud equipment. Although I'm still unsure because I have an extremely hard time buying things.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Yes, that analytical bit comes from the massive headfi IEM review thread I believe.

While I totally agree with pretty much everything said there, I do not think the i590s can be described as analytical at all. To my ears, they are extremely fun, especially with some EQ tweaking [they take to EQ like a duck to water]. They boast "enhanced definition" which to me is marketing speak for strong mids and pleasing top end and a bottom end that gets surprisingly low [again, using good EQ].

They are extremely comfortable to me and I get a great seal with the included tips. Still, yes, I would guess that triple flange IEMs/tips would prolly offer a bit better seal.

Wish I had heard the A151s to compare, but there you go...I like 'em a lot in this price range, but I surely don't have as much experience as others.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-02-2011, 01:19 PM

Hmmm... I wish you could hear the A151's as well.

I guess I still have a bit of thinkin' to do before I go and make a purchase. I feel like I would end up spending the $45 on the i590's, then spending the rest of the cash I got, and regret not getting the A151's instead. But I'm still not sure. Also, thank you very much for all your great help lestatar. You have been extremely helpful so far!

Old 05-02-2011, 01:27 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
… I will mostly be listening to these on the bus, In school, around the house while mowing, doing outside work, etc... As well as when I'm going labor work during the summer. (Includes mowing, lawn care, and anything else they need done) So that is why comfort is so important for me. The other thing that is appealing about the A151's is the triple flange tip, I have never used a triple flange tip before but I feel it would Isolate very well for when I'm going things such as mowing, or operating loud equipment. …
While I can not comment on the i590s, I would trust lestatar’s opinion. I can comment on the included A151 tips before I post the review. Generally I do not like flimsy tips that are included with OEM rebrands, that said I have been using the included bi-flange tips with the A151s and they isolate a little above medium for me. By just above medium I mean they'd cut out normal outdoor noise like traffic/cars but I doubt they'd get rid of lawn mower noise considering your just above it. Both bi-flange and the tri-flange are not flimsy like the regular included tips. I couldn’t get the tri-flange tips to work good for me as they made the iem housing stick out too far from my ear, but I’ve read they’re good for some peeps. Now on a different note, I have some black Shure foam tips that took isolation to the best I’ve heard for universal iems. Side note, unfortunately the price that they ask for these tips is a rip off IMHO.

I could test the bi-flanges mowing the lawn by next weekend if you wish, but I normally don’t use iems while doing this work as were I live you sweet bullets. I doubt this could happen but if any gets into the 3mm nozzle it could cause damage.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 05-02-2011, 02:06 PM

I actually have to agree with the slightly analytical bit. But I also agree with lestatar, they are very fun. iM-590 are analytical in the since that are more neutral than natural. Vocals are crisp rather warm. Where the iM-590 differs from the analytical sound though is the bass. It is deep and has good impact making surprisingly fun. The treble is also has some sparkle which makes it bright. If the A151 is what everyone says it is, it is the opposite of the iM-590. Warm natural vocals, laid back bass, and tame low sparkle treble. If anything, I would say the A151 is probably the more boring of the two despite the fact it is not analytical. That is just a guess though, I will have to wait until tomorrow to find out for myself.

EDIT: Forgot to mention isolation, I used a pair of small MEElec triple-flanges while mowing this weekend. It was one the M11+, which is not vented as far as I know, so isolation is decent. The triple flanges helped a little--meaning more than single-flange--but there was still a lot of noise from the mower. I had to boost the volume about 10% more than just to normal to hear the music. My guess is that you would probably need some expensive foam tips like WalkGood suggested if you really want to bloke out the noise. For the record, I just tried the same triple-flanges on the iM-590 and they fit fine. Same with the foam.

Last edited by cnhardwick; 05-02-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:01 PM

Just going to throw this out there, but if you order today and use coupon code CX_20_OFF and SHIPPING_COUPON you can get the MEElectronics CX21 for $20 shipped. By all accounts it is just below the iM-590 in sound quality. If your goal is truly to stay cheap and upgrade to high end IEM down the road it might be worth considering. Just note, that the CX21 is probably even more analytical than the iM-590. For a more fun but still balanced sound you can use coupon code M21_15_OFF (along with the shipping code) to get the M21 for the same price. Either way it is half off. Just something to think about--just do not think to long since it expires today.

EDIT: (I keep thinking of things to add!) If you have not already, be sure and check out ClieOS' multi-IEM review on that other site too. Always good to have second opinion.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:11 PM

Haha, I have checked out many multi IEM and single IEM reviews. I think i might just have to jump on that deal, because I guess I can EQ it for the time being to fit more of how I like the sound. Then that gives me more money in my pocket for after-market tips and money to save for the more expensive headphone I plan on getting this summer.

EDIT: Where is that promo? It doesn't seem to be for Amazon, as the code's didn't work.

Last edited by Olen; 05-02-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:24 PM

Oh sorry, I should have mentioned it was at MEElectronics own website, MEElec.com.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:31 PM

Okay then one more question, what is the difference between the CX21 and the M21?

EDIT: Two more things I guess, would the best deal for me be to get the CX21/M21 for $20? Or would I be better off getting the im-590?

Old 05-02-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Okay then one more question, what is the difference between the CX21 and the M21?

EDIT: Two more things I guess, would the best deal for me be to get the CX21/M21 for $20? Or would I be better off getting the im-590?
Just totally different sound signatures. Have a look at MEElec's Buyer's Guide. In summery, they part of two different series. The M21 is part of the MEElec's "M Series" which gear towards a more mainstream bass loving crowd and the CX21 is part of the Clarity Series which geared more toward a audiophile with as the name suggests, more clarity. So where the CX21 has a analytical tone, the M21 has a fun sound. For further comparisons I would read some reviews. One non-sound related is that the M21 has a metal housing where the CX21 has a plastic housing, so for build quality the M21 wins.

For the latter question, I really do not know what to tell you. It would certainly two different sounds depend on your mood/music for the day.

(Sorry for the delay, my internet keeps cutting out. I guess they must be working on the power or something.)

Old 05-02-2011, 04:00 PM

Hmm, alright. I think I might end up getting the M21 because of the build quality and the "fun factor" haha. I thank you all again very much for all of your help!

Edit: Also, does anyone know the credibility of Meelec.com?

Old 05-02-2011, 04:08 PM

Credibility of meelec.com? Yes! I have placed a few orders. It's safe to deal with.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:13 PM

Yes, I have order my M6, M11P+, and M2P from them.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:14 PM

Okay! Thank you all very much! I hope everyone has an absolutely fantastic week!

EDIT: Just ordered the M21's with the codes for $20! Awesome!

Last edited by Olen; 05-02-2011 at 05:04 PM.