android
Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 AM

I don't see it selling unless it was opened up and not locked down like the Zune is. As for tablets I like my Android tablet and same with my phone because of the openness and ability to customize and change it how I see fit.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-12-2011, 09:06 AM

Once again it would be too little too late. The tablet market has got saturated pretty quick. Apple and other manufacturers are already on their MK.2 products with MK.3 just a few months away probably.

You have the more open Android system for the tinkerers and the closed Apple system for those that just want it to work.

Is there really room for a third way at this late a stage? I don't think so. WM7 will always struggle due to this.

You wouldnt call it Zune either.

Plus it would only be available in the US. Oh and MS would have to back up a lot more support and effort (than they have done so far for products like the Zune) for folks to even remotely consider it.

Would you buy a Zune tablet with the fear of only one firmware update a couple of months after release and then thats it?

Dead in the water I'm afraid.

Last edited by daglesj; 04-12-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Darkside
If the iPad has 3G connectivity it's worth it to me, but wifi only is a dud!!! That's why I'ma sellin' my Archos 70it, too limited for my needs.
The iPad does have 3G connectivity but only on their mosre expensive models. plus, it runs about $30.00 per month and is not free like Amazon's or B&N 3G service.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
The iPad does have 3G connectivity but only on their mosre expensive models. plus, it runs about $30.00 per month and is not free like Amazon's or B&N 3G service.
If it had free 3G connectivity like the others you mention, then I would buy a 1st-gen model today.....even though I already have a netbook and Touch! But I just say no to carrier contracts.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
But amazons service is for downloading books. I don't see books being a few MB each being a hassle for networks, hence why it's free and amazon was able to score that deal. But from what I have experienced using data through any tablet, phone, and mobile broadband device, is that they all have the same price/mb anyway (iPad or any other device). So price of Internet on an iPad should not be used in comparison with a free service such as Kindle's whispersync.

However, I love the Z:HD UI, but for a tablet?? ... No. I don't think it would work. It would be interesting to see how they would do it, (if it was ever to happen) and I would love to give it a go, but I don't think it's that practical.

Also, I reckon microsoft wouldn't market it as a zune. As someone said (I think Olley) - the reputation was soiled
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 04-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I know the iPad has 3G,...that's the reason I'd consider it - and an Android tablet. That, and the I could ALWAYS jailbreak an iPad, or root an Android tablet - a Zune tablet no, as it'd be too locked down (as usual).

Old 04-15-2011, 04:10 PM
ABI Founder

Here is a Zune Tablet discussion we were having a while ago and i did my own rendition of what it might look like.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Now THAT would be a strange beast indeed!!!

Old 04-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think there is room for another tablet out there, but the UI would have to be much more innovative than simply stretching the ZuneHD's UI to fit. I don't see any need for mechanical off-screen buttons if the on-screen UI is done well. For example, we all enjoy dedicated volume controls for when the screen has timed out while playing music. But a smart UI could leave the screen sensitive to up/down strokes for volume, and even left/right stokes for track prev/next. And it shouldn't matter how the tablet is oriented as up is always up and the screen-off input would respect that. Draw a circle/arc on the screen to wake it up.

Just some thoughts.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:23 AM

I think that's amazing. It depends on what u use it for. Buy what you need to suit your needs is what I think

Old 04-26-2011, 12:09 AM

With the big Nook Color update today bringing a huge functionality boost, i think MS is even less likely to enter a market they've already failed in. (that kind of highly centralized and regulated ecosystem is very much akin to thag of Zune) However, MS has often merely rebranded their products and tried again.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:02 AM

not quite a zune tablet,
but tegra based..

===================
http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Micr...ticle21744.htm

later

Old 05-27-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus_NB View Post
I am surprised Microsoft hasn't come out with a competitive tablet of some type.
Microsoft hasn't innovated over a decade. All they do now is bloat existing software and spend millions chasing other's successful technology.

IMHO, the biggest issue with the Zune (I don't own one, but I can close) is that they are trying to be an iPod; proprietary PC interface, closed syncing, etc. Sure they have better sound, and market themselves as a superior PmP, which I hear they are, but they still have limited format support.

Wouldn't it be nice if they just said screw Apple, lets embrace open standards, support the most popular open standards, allow any music manager to sync to it, or allow drag and drop. Facilitate rooting, make the Zune easy and versatile out of the box, but infinitely customizable to those who like to tinker. That's would promote market penetration. Zune Pass sounds like a great feature, so maybe you need Zune software to manage that, no big deal. Also allow Zune to stream you PC media library. That was the deal killer for me.

Take this open approach with a tablet, and they might have a chance.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

FYI: The Zune HD does NOT have better SQ than the iPod touch 4G. The 3G, that was the model it was set to beat,...the 4G kicks it's ass. Especially w/the EQu & Equalizer apps. Same as with my iPhone 4 - the SQ is top notch. Even the EQ presets in iOS 4 are great. The Zune HD - not good at all. And, also, I can sync my iPhone w/any media management software I pretty much desire to do so with - MS will NEVER allow that.

Now, TBH, a Cowon player w/it's EQ and sound enhancements beats 'em all!!! And a Rockboxed clip+ or Fuze??? Don't get me started,...

Old 05-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I haven't had the chance to try any Zune, but the Touch 4G is quite a nice piece of kit. I rate it equal to my Clip+ if both are on flat settings, and it is even quite comparable using the rockbox EQ on the Clip+, and the Equalizer app on the Touch(seven-band parametric EQ, woot!) except the Touch has a bit more output power. It's even a tough call when I compare it to my Cowon players, trying to choose one as better than the other.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
FYI: The Zune HD does NOT have better SQ than the iPod touch 4G. The 3G, that was the model it was set to beat,...the 4G kicks it's ass. Especially w/the EQu & Equalizer apps. Same as with my iPhone 4 - the SQ is top notch. Even the EQ presets in iOS 4 are great. The Zune HD - not good at all. And, also, I can sync my iPhone w/any media management software I pretty much desire to do so with - MS will NEVER allow that.

Now, TBH, a Cowon player w/it's EQ and sound enhancements beats 'em all!!! And a Rockboxed clip+ or Fuze??? Don't get me started,...
Partly agree - my Zune HD was better than my old 3G iPhone but my new iPhone 4 is much better than the 3G. Better than my Zune HD? Dunno 'bout that, but it's closer for sure.
You may be able to sync w/ other media management software (most of them crap, IMO) but can you sync your iPhone on more than 1 computer (w/o losing your content)???
Now that's locked down!

Old 05-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I can sync my iPhone 4 w/Media Monkey, J.River, etc - those are crap??? The Zune sofytware, now that's crap. And when I use another comp w/those programs I lose nothing,....so, eh???

The Zune HD is a sorry excuse for a media player compared to what's out there nowadays, and the iPod touch/iPhone were never even competition - since it's (the Z:HD) based on last gen equipment. SQ may be a subjective thing, but the Z:HD gets sadly "destroyed" when EQu or Equalizer are used. To say otherwise is just being in denial. Even stock the iPhone EQ is better.

Z:HD - DOA!!!

Now, Zune on a phone - that's gonna eventually kick the snot out of the iPhone, combined w/Android - I'm gonna help out the Zune part myself!!!

Old 05-27-2011, 05:38 PM

Yeah, I don't like Media Monkey much and I really don't like J River. More of a Foobar guy myself.
So you can sync your iPhone 4 on more than 1 computer? Really? Have you tried it?

Old 05-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

MM sync on 1 comp, then MM on another didn't give me an issue w/music. When I used iTunes the music put there by MM was removed. That's just how it is,...but it was still able to be used w/MM, or another program. I guess me never having a problem was due to not using iTunes AFTER the MM sync. That seems to be the gist of you link,...so what was the point then???

Besides, I decided I liked using iTunes long ago - and I've rarely had any issues. Only the "missing album art" issue that some of us have, but I've since rectified that.

The "locked down" argument is a DOA thing now w/an Apple device,... It's still NOT SOLVED w/the Zune's - at ALL!

Old 05-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Surfer View Post
Yeah, I don't like Media Monkey much and I really don't like J River. More of a Foobar guy myself.
So you can sync your iPhone 4 on more than 1 computer? Really? Have you tried it?
I believe the songs will stay on it with different computers as long as you don't connect it to Itunes. So if he had Mediamonkey on two computers, he'd be fine as long as iTunes wasn't used.(which is basically what those posts were saying that you linked to)

I know that was the case for me with my Touch 4G when I first got it.....since then, iOS has been updated a couple of times, and one of those did cut out MM compatibility. However, MM has updated too since then.....but I haven't tried it again, since with seven players total, I normally use the Touch for podcasts, apps, and video...and use the other players for music. So I just threw some of my defaults artists on the Touch with iTunes, and left it as is.