android
Old 04-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Zune HD Tablet...would it sell?

I just stumbled across this article from a couple weeks ago, and rather than instantly dismiss it, I thought I see what kind of reactions people here might have. I don't think I saw it mentioned here anywhere.

And hey, there's not enough action in the Zune boards lately!
Quote:
How a Zune tablet could beat Apple and Android
Quote:
According to a statement issued to CNET by a Microsoft representative, it's "absolutely committed to providing the best movies, music, and TV show experiences through Zune on Xbox, the PC, Windows Phone 7, and Zune devices."
It was that last part about Zune devices that got me. While on the surface it could be read as "Microsoft is not going to leave Zune player owners out in the cold," it also left me wondering if a Zune tablet might be in the works. And I'm not talking about tablets from other manufacturers running a Windows OS. I mean a Zune tablet.
But, like the Zune player, is it too late for Microsoft to get in and become a leader in the category instead of a footnote? I don't think so, but it'll have to act fast. Here's what it would take to make a solid entry in the category.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...#ixzz1JFjOZArE

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-11-2011, 04:42 PM

What about Courier?

(Oh, was that too soon/too insensitive?)

Old 04-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Meh. I wouldn't buy it, nuff said.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 04-11-2011, 05:05 PM

Me neither.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:25 PM

For those that said they wouldn't buy it, would you buy any type of tablet? Either Android or iPad?
I am surprised Microsoft hasn't come out with a competitive tablet of some type.
I could use Windows based tablets at work. They would need to run a full version of Excel 2007.
I almost bought HP tablet / laptops last year but they are too heavy.
iPod Mini 32GB (CF Mod)
V-Moda Remix

Old 04-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A Zune tablet? They would be better off calling it a Phone7 tablet as the ZuneHD's reputation is soiled for not being a true iPod Touch competitor. Of course with Windows 8 looming and the year being 2011, any name would be better than Zune for a tablet made from the ground up by Microsoft. JMHO.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
A Zune tablet? They would be better off calling it a Phone7 tablet as the ZuneHD's reputation is soiled for not being a true iPod Touch competitor. Of course with Windows 8 looming and the year being 2011, any name would be better than Zune for a tablet made from the ground up by Microsoft. JMHO.
If they made a tablet, I think the zune software would be on there not a self titled zune tablet. something like Tab7 or something...but I could care less about tabs even though I have an ipad2 in my household, I just see no use for my needs IMO

Old 04-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I probably wouldn't buy it, but then again I like the portability of my HD and the functionality of my laptop. I don't need anything in between, which to me is all that a tablet really is. So, I wouldn't buy it, but then again, I won't buy any Apple or Android or whatever else there is out there tablets.

Though, I can see how one COULD have its uses. I'd have to see a comparison between it and other options if I was to actually make a choice in buying one. To me, a Zune tablet would have just as much of a chance as any Android one or the iPad.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:32 PM

I don't think I would be fond of the Zune app interface for a tablet UI. I think the app part of the interface wouldn't work well with a large amount of apps. A Zune Music App on a tablet would be cool, though.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus_NB View Post
For those that said they wouldn't buy it, would you buy any type of tablet? Either Android or iPad?
I am surprised Microsoft hasn't come out with a competitive tablet of some type.
I could use Windows based tablets at work. They would need to run a full version of Excel 2007.
I almost bought HP tablet / laptops last year but they are too heavy.
I would buy an Android or Windows tablet. Definitely not an iPad because I got to try out one for quite a while and was thoroughly disappointed. However, I have not had a chance to try the iPad 2.

It also depends on how they would be priced, if its overpriced like the iPad, then I wouldn't buy it, even if it was better.

Retired Devices:

Old 04-11-2011, 06:38 PM

Apple is the king of the locked down market, Android is the king of the open market.

Microsoft sure would want to get in on the fully controlled, locked down business, and same as with a Zune media player, a locked down tablet system needs a certain infrastructure or 3rd party developers, which Microsoft obviously doesn't have. I mean the hundred thousands of quantity-over-quality apps one gets on the iPlatforms, to keep the customers entertained. Once again, they would have no chance against Apple, since they certainly would want to imitate that specific business scheme which is already occupied by an established Behemoth. Something based on a 'real' Windows variant would be another story, though.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:46 PM

I don't think it would be wise for Microsoft to fragment their tablet direction. They already have full Windows 7 and Windows Embedded Compact 7 aiming for the full-featured and casual tablet markets, respectively. No need to muddy it up with yet another tablet OS.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
I would buy an Android or Windows tablet. Definitely not an iPad because I got to try out one for quite a while and was thoroughly disappointed. However, I have not had a chance to try the iPad 2.

It also depends on how they would be priced, if its overpriced like the iPad, then I wouldn't buy it, even if it was better.
I'm surprised that you didn't like the iPad since you like the Touch so much.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well it's not that I don't like it its just that I think people think it's more amazing than it actually is.

All it is is literally a larger and overpriced iPod touch, nothing more.

Retired Devices:

Old 04-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
Well it's not that I don't like it its just that I think people think it's more amazing than it actually is.

All it is is literally a larger and overpriced iPod touch, nothing more.
Precisely why I did toy with the idea of getting a 1st-gen one, before I bought my netbook.....because it is like a bigger Touch. The price didn't come down enough though, not that I was really surprised.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well there's pretty much nothing bad about the iPad, its just the price that's a joke.

Retired Devices:

Old 04-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If the iPad has 3G connectivity it's worth it to me, but wifi only is a dud!!! That's why I'ma sellin' my Archos 70it, too limited for my needs.

As for buying a Zune tablet - hell no!!! They F****D UP the Z:HD, like they'd do better w/a bloody tablet. iPad or Android tablet ONLY!!!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:52 PM

IMO Microsoft may have an opportunity to be a market leader in the tablet realm. With the recent developments regarding Windows OS on ARM architecture it gives them an opportunity to bring the massive library of apps available on windows while only requiring developers to add the metro UI on top to make things touch friendly.

Windows 8 is already said to have a native touch friendly UI for tablets so it falls on the developers to add extra code to existing apps to make them touch friendly. Imagine, the versatility of Windows OS without the non-finger friendly UI.

P.S. Im no programmer so im just assuming that apps wouldnt have to be re-written from the ground up as Microsoft would prolly make the transition from X86 to ARM easier on developers.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:52 AM

Excel on a touch screen? LOL

I wouldn't by a Zune tab.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Excel on a touch screen? LOL
In my case all the employees would be doing in Excel is selecting from drop down boxes and filling in a number. That's why Excel would have to be fully implemented to run VBA.

I guess what I am describing wouldn't be considered a Zune tablet as much as a Windows tablet. Now that I think about it a Zune based tablet would be kind of pointless.
iPod Mini 32GB (CF Mod)
V-Moda Remix

Last edited by Angus_NB; 04-12-2011 at 05:19 AM.