android
Old 04-08-2011, 10:37 AM

Page Time for a new player - requesting help

So I'm a long-time member of these forums... have not been very active but am returning because my birthday is approaching and my wife wants to know what I want.

I currently own a Sansa e200 (2gb) with Rockbox and 8gb of microSD expansion. It's been a great player but I find myself using it less and less. Honestly I think the tiny interface is not meshing very well with driving. I guess I'm getting older and want something that feels a little fancier (not to mention the wheel on the sansa is kind of hard to turn lately).

Anyway, I've been reading the recommendations and the top-rated devices and here's kind of what I'd like, if this is possible (using the suggested ask format):

Budget: I may end up asking for this for my birthday or just buying it for myself with freelance money + birthday money afterwards. So let's say up to $300 but preferred closer to $200+.

Use: I am in the car nearly 2 hours a day. Audiobooks are nice on occasion, but mostly I will use it to listen to music. I'd really like to have video-out-to-TV (HDMI) if that is possible, as I tend to find lots of down time at work and it would be fun to download shows and things to watch with the wife. Having Android and WiFi would be great to use as a mini-computer when I find a few minutes between changing diapers.

Type/Design: I guess a PMP since I want lots of features. Prefer something that is less than tablet size so I can put it in my pocket or at least the pouch on my laptop bag. I don't suppose people go jogging with PMPs...but if there's a device that is powerful yet small, I might attempt it (or keep the Sansa for such rare occasions).

Features: Android would be a plus, TV-out (HDMI) would be awesome, e-reader would be great, FM tuner not really necessary as I'll be in the car mostly. Is there a way to transfer files from a computer via bluetooth? If so that would be great. WiFi would be great, with support for stuff such as youtube. A built-in speaker for "sharing" media (rare) would be a nice perk.

Display: Display that would be comfortable enough for reading an e-book (not sure this is something I'll really do) or at least browsing the web.

UI/Controls: Touchscreen seems to make the most sense these days.

----
So I hope I haven't been too picky. I realize it may not be possible to find everything I want in the same package. I took a look at the J3 and several of the Archos devices. I'm leery of some of the reviews for Archos having really frail hardware (touchscreens going out?).

I really appreciate any recommendations I can get. Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Consider the Archos 43it. Android 2.2. HDMI out with the whole UI on the TV. Several ebook apps are available. High resolution 4.3" screen. MicroSD expansion up to 32gb. 16gb model $220 at Amazon.com. If you like rockbox there is a rockbox app for it. Within WiFi range you'll get email, web, etc..

Old 04-08-2011, 05:05 PM

thanks for the feedback. after posting i spent several more hours browsing and reading reviews, etc. it seems like maybe that is the best bang for the buck in terms of all the things i am asking for. my only hesitation now is that they'll undoubtedly announce their next generation in a bit and then all the prices of these will probably go down.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostToast View Post
thanks for the feedback. after posting i spent several more hours browsing and reading reviews, etc. it seems like maybe that is the best bang for the buck in terms of all the things i am asking for. my only hesitation now is that they'll undoubtedly announce their next generation in a bit and then all the prices of these will probably go down.
I think you can rest easy because I believe the next line of Archos players will house a 5 inch screen minimum, which I think will be too large for what you're asking for.

I also agree with Olley that the Archos 43 is the most suitable player, based upon your specifications.

Tags
android, mp3, suggestion