android
Old 11-18-2010, 11:36 PM

Default Does your walkman ever crash?

Hey dudes and dudettes, Ultrapony here with a quick request for your experiences with the X-series.

Does your Walkman ever crash on certain files? Does the web browser crash, either for specific websites or situations? Or apps, like YouTube or Slacker?? Basically, I'm examining any exploits which'd be a necessary part of adding extra apps and functionality for our devices.

If you're unsure or don't feel like replying publicly, do PM me. I'm extremely interested in your input. Thanks in advance!

-your friendly neighborhood ultrapony

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-19-2010, 04:48 AM

Hardly ever, there may have been one time with the web browser, but that may have been before the update

Old 11-20-2010, 05:43 PM

I've never had it crash, the firmware is rather solid as with most sony walkmans, I am curious about this new addition of apps or functions, mainly along the lines of on the go playlists.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
I've never had it crash, the firmware is rather solid as with most sony walkmans, I am curious about this new addition of apps or functions, mainly along the lines of on the go playlists.
New walkmans have on-the-go playlists? :O

Old 11-21-2010, 11:24 PM

blockednose: thank you, that's good to know.

Ascariss: that should be no problem if this ever gets rooted. Even if the music player functions are encrypted or binary-blobbied, the music itself lives in its own FAT partition, so you could just reach in and move files/symlinks around and- tada instant playlist. I know little else without exploring, I wish I could tell you more.

For all its antiquation, as blockednose points out, Sony's firmware IS impressively solid. That's one reason I've come to believe alternate firmware (rockbox, etc) in this case is a bad idea (also, having to write new wireless drivers, reverse engineering the nc protocol, and development "surprises") and why I'm interested in using stability to our advantage vis-a-vis jailbreaking. Even extremely stable doesn't mean flawless- hence my request for your experiences. Keep it coming, guys!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 PM

Default Won't turn off

Hi me,

Plugged my walkman into my desktop to charge it; an hour or so later, unplugged it without making any changes. So, Sony's "Creating Library" screen automatically comes up with the spinning wheel and progress bar. Like always. Then about 7/8 of the way there it stops. It's been there for about six hours now. The screen won't turn off, the disk won't respond to fdisk queries, and no button combo works. No way to turn it off. BUT... Battery is still going strong, not even down 1 notch, probably indicating some critical process just shat itself and now the system is hanging forever. I may need to disassemble it before it burns the screen. D:

tl;dr: it won't turn off. The scroll wheel is spinning forever. It's like I'm trapped in 1993...

...if this drops me into a DOS prompt I'm going to cry.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ever crashed? Maybe after I first realized the web browser used a numeric keypad and required the complete http://www on ever URL to work and I threw it across the room. I heard a crashing noise at least.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm doing what a quick Google would have accomplished, posting a pic of the Sony X Series Walkman reset hole,... use it ultrapony:

Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 PM

The DarkSide: thanks, but I should have been more clear. I'm trying to rack up _more_ errors, and then document them, not clear them up But _now_ if somebody has this problem in the future, your solution will be right there, so that'll be cool. Internet++

Olley: XD I'm sure its a conspiracy intended to wean us off of DNS. "What's Google? My usual search engine is 72.14.204.99!"

Old 04-17-2011, 08:30 PM

Every time I try to update the podcasts with any software (MM, etc), the entire podcast section crashes.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:46 PM

My walkman X series Crashed brand new.... I discovered it was Huge album art bigger than 600 X 600 or incorrect cover formar i.e .bmp or .tiff or progressive jpg

Old 04-18-2011, 12:47 PM

as soon i fixed my covers it ran normal