android
Old 06-06-2011, 01:23 PM

It is very nice, makes my px100 sound very good. I even like it with bass monsters like the Denon d2000 just on or with one click up. Just a great bass-head experience. Does hiss slightly with the Ortofon E-q5.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm still waiting

Update: I received my ZO on June 7th, and I charged it and tested it out using my iPod & the Z:HD with my HFI-780's- the SQ is fantastic.

Bad news tho - I have battery issues w/the Z:HD and it's got to go back (damn!!!). I got it and the battery was dead, and it refuses to hold a proper charge. I guess it sat for too long and it's in need of a new batt??? Oh well, I guess it just wasn't meant to be - again!!! And it sounded so good with it!!!

Last edited by The DarkSide; 06-07-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:46 AM

I'm not a bass head, my flavour is warm, detail, my genres are new age, progessive metal, symphony metal opera, spanish guitar, harps, classic

Should I get this ?

Thanks

Old 06-16-2011, 05:23 PM

Review is up: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/06/d...woofer-review/

Old 06-16-2011, 05:41 PM

Great review, I love this thing. Even with bass heavy phones it is unbelievable. Of all my audio gadgets this is the only thing my 13 year-old step son tries to steal.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:47 PM

dfkt just a heads-up, the review is showing in the complete form on the frontpage (anythingbutipod.com), I suppose it's not intended? Reading the review now.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:52 PM

Damn, thanks for noticing that. Fixed.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 PM

Finished the great read. I was surprised when I first heard of this product, with this review I'm even more surprised as how good it sounds! Really a shame about the hiss though, did they announce anything regarding that on the new version coming?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 PM

The hiss is not that noticeable unless you use Super sensitive phones. The small hiss on a few phones is well worth putting up with for the goodness you get in return.

On another note, here is a horrible review obviously from a genius audiophile!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYlt View Post
Finished the great read. I was surprised when I first heard of this product, with this review I'm even more surprised as how good it sounds! Really a shame about the hiss though, did they announce anything regarding that on the new version coming?
Digizoid contacted me about that, since they couldn't reproduce it. I guess they just don't have as (technically) crappy phones as the SE530 or UE11.

SM3, W4, e-Q5, and such hiss a tiny bit - not more than an average MP3 player, though. Since I don't actually use the SE530 or the UE11 anymore, I'm fine with that, it doesn't bother me. IE8, DDM2, and such are dead quiet with the ZO, absolutely no issue.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Larch View Post
The hiss is not that noticeable unless you use Super sensitive phones. The small hiss on most phones is well worth putting up with for the goodness you get in return.

That review has a quite interesting post by a digiZoid engineer.

EDIT:
Quote:
(i.e. the ZO does not add bass, it only responds to the frequencies contained in the track)

Old 06-16-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Larch View Post
What a bunch of horse dung. That ignoramus really disqualified himself with that baseless drivel.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Digizoid contacted me about that, since they couldn't reproduce it. I guess they just don't have as (technically) crappy phones as the SE530 or UE11.

SM3, W4, e-Q5, and such hiss a tiny bit - not more than an average MP3 player, though. Since I don't actually use the SE530 or the UE11 anymore, I'm fine with that, it doesn't bother me. IE8, DDM2, and such are dead quiet with the ZO, absolutely no issue.
Ah well, my fast reading gave me the impression of a more serious case, glad to hear it isn't as I pictured it. Also gotta love the price for this one, I'm curious about the upcoming ZO...

Old 06-16-2011, 06:32 PM

The digizoid people say they are going to keep the price for the next zo under $100.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:48 PM

Thank you for the review dfkt. I definitely think I'll be getting the v2 when it comes out to complement my PFE. And now for a question. Does the ZO enhance mid range earphones such as your PFE to the same level as the sm3? Since it adds some much needed lushness and bass weight.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Great review dfkt, and this thing has one set of cheapo HP's it almost killed: the Koss KTXpro1 Titanium. These things started to distort!!! Still, a little lower in the volume (I maybe had them too loud???) and the SQ was quite booming.

As for the V2, I'm getting it!!! WooT!!! I hope they ask for your input (dfkt), as it'd be quite the interesting device.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:01 AM

When is the new version scheduled? I'm trying to find the first version for about $70 instead of $100 since I'm kinda tapped out. Anyone has a link to where I can get them this cheap please pm me.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Great review dfkt, and this thing has one set of cheapo HP's it almost killed: the Koss KTXpro1 Titanium. These things started to distort!!! Still, a little lower in the volume (I maybe had them too loud???) and the SQ was quite booming.

As for the V2, I'm getting it!!! WooT!!! I hope they ask for your input (dfkt), as it'd be quite the interesting device.
I always wondered about those Koss 'phones....how are they? Still loving my PortaPros though.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
Does the ZO enhance mid range earphones such as your PFE to the same level as the sm3? Since it adds some much needed lushness and bass weight.
Yes, I would say so. Especially with the bass-lightest grey filters the ZO makes the PFE shine - perfect clarity with perfect bass and added beef. The combination I used the most with the ZO was the PFE and the W4 (both have basically the same sound signature) - I've used the ZO with the SM3 too, but I'm so used to the SM3's default sound, I didn't like the change as much as with the PFE.

For my ears, PFE+ZO is more or less on the same level of enjoyment as the SM3 alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
this thing has one set of cheapo HP's it almost killed: the Koss KTXpro1 Titanium. These things started to distort!!! Still, a little lower in the volume (I maybe had them too loud???) and the SQ was quite booming.

Damn, that's bad. Maybe I should give the KSC75 more time with the ZO. In my short test I didn't get them to distort, but I really didn't listen more than ~5 minutes with them.

I sure hope they take some of my suggestions into account for the v2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
When is the new version scheduled? I'm trying to find the first version for about $70 instead of $100 since I'm kinda tapped out. Anyone has a link to where I can get them this cheap please pm me.
Sorry, I have no info about a release date of the v2.

As for the cheap price, The Larch posted a link before in this thread.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I used the D:ZO with a 5G nano - it sucked!!! I'm just not fond of the way it sounds (with or without the D:ZO) - too bright. I'm going to try it with a Sony S639 on flat EQ later tonight.

As for the Koss KTXpro1, they sound quite different than the ksc75's, wayyyyyy more bass. I think that might be the cause of the distortion. They sound better than the JVC Flats - I got them on a whim,...they didn't disappoint. They TRULY need no EQ'ing, so all the user reviews & opinions were on point.

PS: They are built quite crappy tho,...