Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion

Old 04-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Is the A840 EU volume limited?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-02-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post

PS: @a1shot - the iPod's do playlists exceptionally well, do podcasts & audiobooks perfectly, and the SQ is quite good. As for iTunes - you don't need to use it for the iPod's - Media Monkey, J.River, WinAmp all work as well - plus many others nowadays.
Hm. It never allowed to sort like on the hard drive hierarchy. So if i had a folder library, with letters, then groups, then albums, then songs - it would sort all as a big pile. I cant tag all the songs as well, so i cant really imagine how to manage a 60 gb library in an ipod. And after 30 playlists it gets cumbersome to manage them or to add to them - you have to scroll. if i want to add songs to the library from an already added folder it does not show the already added songs from that folder ...well - at least i had lots of issues with it.

I understood the link to the glossary but i did not find the internal external memory explanation. What is the difference for the current models being discussed?

Old 04-02-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Is the A840 EU volume limited?
Yes, but it doesn't matter. You can hear it perfectly fine on low levels. Anything higher than that, and you're either using really shitty phones or you're trying to damage your hearing on purpose.

I've never had to go higher than 20 on mine and even that was too loud. I don't know why anyone complains about the volume restriction; it doesn't mean anything.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
Yes, but it doesn't matter. You can hear it perfectly fine on low levels. Anything higher than that, and you're either using really shitty phones or you're trying to damage your hearing on purpose.

I've never had to go higher than 20 on mine and even that was too loud. I don't know why anyone complains about the volume restriction; it doesn't mean anything.
Before i take a look at it, maybe you can say is this model specifically better than others, or are all NWZ (A models) the same in functionality? (capacity is different.). Cause i see that there are various NWZs out there - are they all good in 'my sense'?

Old 04-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, but it doesn't matter.
Yes, it does matter. Just because they're loud enough for you does not mean that's universally true. There have been a number of folks that have found this place absolutely desperate to raise the volume on a player they bought unaware of the EU limit. If you are going to tell someone about a players good points you should also warn them about potential drawbacks.

I've heard volume limited players before. They're OK most of the time. But when I feel like rocking the house they just don't cut it. I'm able to make an informed decision to blow my hearing or not. I don't need a nanny. Just tell it like it is. No one needs to blow their hard earned cash due to your edited advice.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:23 PM

And just because it matters to you, doesn't mean it will matter to him. It goes both ways.

If you want to talk about leaving things out, what about the file limits of the J3, Clip+ and Fuze (both old and +)? They only let you put so many files on them before it hits its limit, even with the memory card inserted.

The Clip+ won't let you use all of the 32GB card you can put in it, and the only solution is to use RockBox. While that's great for some people, others might not like it, or even be technically inclined enough to try it. It's not for everyone, even with its better features. The same goes for the Fuze.

The J3 has a file limit of 8000 music files, so if he starts putting on lots of songs, he's going to find that limit pretty damn annoying. The definite issue of the player ignoring the existence of your music is much worse than the possibility of the volume restriction being a personal annoyance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1shot View Post
Before i take a look at it, maybe you can say is this model specifically better than others, or are all NWZ (A models) the same in functionality? (capacity is different.). Cause i see that there are various NWZs out there - are they all good in 'my sense'?
Most of the current Walkman players are identical in terms of controls and the user interface.

I'd click here and take a look. It's a bit out of date, but it's still accurate and will give you a good idea of what models have what features.

Ultimately, the choice is yours. You narrowed it down to three players, and their all better choices than your old iPod. You just have to decide which one is the better of the three for you.

Last edited by Just Some Guy; 04-02-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Administrator

The more information available the better IMO. I can't see what's the harm in asking or having the knowledge that a player is volume limited. That is a factual matter not one of opinion.

To say that a player is volume limited but loud enough for you is one thing. To say that it doesn't matter is another. It has indeed mattered to several of the people that have found to their unpleasant surprise the EU volume limit is a serious drawback for them. Perhaps had the information that's now available in this thread was available then they could have avoided that headache.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
And just because it matters to you, doesn't mean it will matter to him. It goes both ways.

If you want to talk about leaving things out, what about the file limits of the J3, Clip+ and Fuze (both old and +)? They only let you put so many files on them before it hits its limit, even with the memory card inserted.

The Clip+ won't let you use all of the 32GB card you can put in it, and the only solution is to use RockBox. While that's great for some people, others might not like it, or even be technically inclined enough to try it. It's not for everyone, even with its better features. The same goes for the Fuze.

The J3 has a file limit of 8000 music files, so if he starts putting on lots of songs, he's going to find that limit pretty damn annoying. The definite issue of the player ignoring the existence of your music is much worse than the possibility of the volume restriction being a personal annoyance.

8000 files, just like the Clip+ and Fuze?
Everybody is different, but for me, 8000 of my files wouldn't fit on a 40GB Sansa, and maybe not on a 64GB J3 either. But those who like Q4 Vorbis, for example, could certainly hit those limits.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:23 PM

The file limit on the Clip+ is dependent upon the files, it seems. I could only get about 5500 on mine, but others have hit the limit with less and some with more. Having never had a Fuze, I can't say what it was, but the Fuze+ I had hit that a limit at about 5000 files.

Of course, the Clip+ with RB on it, as I've said, can negate that limit. Same with the Fuze, as I understand. Fuze+? I haven't really checked to see if they cracked it open for RBing.

EDIT: Something I don't think has been considered yet: a1shot, where do you live, and are you comfortable with ordering online?

Depending upon your location and your willingness to order online, your options may be limited. Clip+s can be found in most major stores, and you can also get an extra warranty in case anything happens to it. But if you order online, you may have trouble with replacing or returning the player.

Last edited by Just Some Guy; 04-02-2011 at 10:33 PM.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The file limit on the Clip+ is dependent upon the files, it seems. I could only get about 5500 on mine, but others have hit the limit with less and some with more. Having never had a Fuze, I can't say what it was, but the Fuze+ I had hit that a limit at about 5000 files.

Of course, the Clip+ with RB on it, as I've said, can negate that limit. Same with the Fuze, as I understand. Fuze+? I haven't really checked to see if they cracked it open for RBing.
I wonder if it has to do with the tags, like if you have the comments and other fields all filled in, as opposed to the minimalist tag approach that quickens the database refresh time? A mystery....

Old 04-02-2011, 10:40 PM

I was told it was most likely the folder and files names; longer titles would fill it up faster. I did try to shorten a lot of names to fix that, but it didn't work.

But I think the file list mystery is best left in the Clip+ board. And that whole RB thing.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:23 AM

Ehm???? WHAT??????? Limit? Are you kidding me? I have about 20 - 30 000 of mp3 files. only 9000 for the old library...and i wont be able to import it? I find it very annoying...

30 gb = 9000 files. I have a shit loads of music, so i this is why i need a lot of space - i managed to get on my ipod only 32 (i had an 80gb classic) cause i only devoted couple of hours to bundle all in playlists....but why would a player restrict amount of files? Thats odd.

Also, you can have songs of 5mb-1file, or a set of 2hours-1file but weighting 150 mb. So does this matter to these players? And if understood, they are all subject to file limitations? Any files, audio video text?

Quote:
EDIT: Something I don't think has been considered yet: a1shot, where do you live, and are you comfortable with ordering online?

Depending upon your location and your willingness to order online, your options may be limited. Clip+s can be found in most major stores, and you can also get an extra warranty in case anything happens to it. But if you order online, you may have trouble with replacing or returning the player.
I have all of the discussed players in many models here in Sweden, they are all near - and for almost the same price as worldwide...would be even checking ebay and the local ebay - i actually left one clip+ get away cheap...did not know that it was software free. "extra warranty in case anything happens to it." what should happen to it? Can the players be turned to bricks if RB is used?

I aslso find it interesting that - ok, bluetooth is a hardware issue. But playlists on the go...if it is a criteria how come none of the walkamns have it. Or more, none of the above. (complaining complaining)

PS - none of the reviews i read actually tells this, this would be the huge disappointment to find out after the purchase.
PPS -Props to Just Some Guy - thanx for the walkman comparison link. I actually would like to see such a full comparison of all the hickups for these plauyers.

Last edited by a1shot; 04-03-2011 at 05:42 AM.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Ehm???? WHAT??????? Limit? Are you kidding me? I have about 20 - 30 000 of mp3 files. only 9000 for the old library...and i wont be able to import it? I find it very annoying...

30 gb = 9000 files. I have a shit loads of music, so i this is why i need a lot of space - i managed to get on my ipod only 32 (i had an 80gb classic) cause i only devoted couple of hours to bundle all in playlists....but why would a player restrict amount of files? Thats odd.
I don't know why they have these limits. Other players don't have them.

Quote:
Also, you can have songs of 5mb-1file, or a set of 2hours-1file but weighting 150 mb. So does this matter to these players? And if understood, they are all subject to file limitations? Any files, audio video text?
I know that the Clip+ and the Walkman series will play both short files and long files with no problems. The J3 is limited to 8000 files, and then 4000 files of other kinds, like text, pictures, etc.

But I would ask someone that has more experience wit the J3, they would know about it better.

Quote:
"extra warranty in case anything happens to it." what should happen to it? Can the players be turned to bricks if RB is used?
No, not really. The extra warranty can be used for replacing it if it is damaged or lost. Some places will even let you exchange it for newer players.

Quote:
I aslso find it interesting that - ok, bluetooth is a hardware issue. But playlists on the go...if it is a criteria how come none of the walkamns have it. Or more, none of the above. (complaining complaining)
Again, this is a mystery. Some companies make players that let you create and manage playlists, others don't. It seems to be arbitrary.

Quote:
PS - none of the reviews i read actually tells this, this would be the huge disappointment to find out after the purchase.
There are lots of little details that aren't mentioned in reviews. Almost all reviews tend to focus on the usual (but still important) features, and skip over little details like that.

Quote:
PPS -Props to Just Some Guy - thanx for the walkman comparison link. I actually would like to see such a full comparison of all the hickups for these plauyers.
Sadly, I doubt that will ever happen. These are issues that are ovten not considered or discovered right away. Most reviewers only get a short amount of time to test the players.

But any way, you have some options now. You're better off than when I started getting into MP3 players... back then, the only options were an iPod, another iPod, and another kind of iPod. Any other brand was only available by online ordering.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I don't know why they have these limits. Other players don't have them.
I've skimmed through, does the rockbox remove the limitations for the amount of files? I presume it is related to either FAT being used, or some meta-data file that cannot be more than some size. This is why there is not specific number of songs. Cause it is just gets clamped up with file names and paths...so the shorter should be the better...still.

And how hard is it to configure a rockbox, do you have to be a pure geek and dos/commander type of guy or is it not that hard...with readmes and so on? only took a peek about it - maybe i should take a better look if it allows more files - am looking to try first clip+ and if not, j3 then. walkman seems to be expensiver.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:54 PM

With the automatic installer, rockbox is quite simple to install. Virtually no tech knowledge required. If for some reason you still have problem, you could always find a computer literate friend...but honestly, with the automatic installer you'd have to be an utter luddite to have any difficulties. There's even an online/downloadable manual to guide you through the process step by step on the rockbox website.

My suggestion is to just get the clip+ and rockbox it. Even if you end up with another mp3 player in the future, the clip+ is cheap and makes for a great gym and throw around player. The combination of a tiny, convenient package and cheap pricetag with RB features is difficult to beat.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 04-04-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
With the automatic installer, rockbox is quite simple to install. Virtually no tech knowledge required. If for some reason you still have problem, you could always find a computer literate friend...but honestly, with the automatic installer you'd have to be an utter luddite to have any difficulties. There's even an online/downloadable manual to guide you through the process step by step on the rockbox website.

My suggestion is to just get the clip+ and rockbox it. Even if you end up with another mp3 player in the future, the clip+ is cheap and makes for a great gym and throw around player. The combination of a tiny, convenient package and cheap pricetag with RB features is difficult to beat.
Hey, screw you, it didn't want to work for me.

The clip plus is a worthy player. I'd get one just as a beater player to play with while you figure out what you really want. It might be that it does enough right that you'll be willing to skimp on some of your other requirements and if not it can be a dedicated gym player. The main drawback for me is the battery life but since I'm rarely away for that long I make do.

The volume restrictions may be relevant if you are driving some very difficult headphones that are not really designed for portable use anyway or using it with a set of speakers which again is not really what it was designed for. That or you are deaf. It's a feature, not a bug, so deal with it. Nothing worse than sitting in a metro listening to someone else's music bleeding out of their portapros.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Thumb Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post

Indeed, well put! I am a computer science BSC guy but i remember that hacking a PSP may involve running around with a hoop . glad its not like unlocking mobiles Will RB allow to store umlimited amount of mp3s?

Still, i took a look and im kind of towards the Sansa fuze...just the fuze, not the plus - due to the a-screen, b-wheel - i got used to it on Ipod, + i think it is better than tapping a lot like a dodo bird. Since i plan on having lots of folders and etc - i would like to know what clip+ has thatn fuze does not (or why Not fuze)? Plus - again - any playlist support?

Quote:

Speaking of RB. Will it work with the Fuzes click wheel? Also, is this a complete firmware override? So to say it will have its own features, and maybe playlists for Gods sake?

PS - i recommended this site to a coworker that has the same views - love this place now

Last edited by a1shot; 04-04-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Yes
Quote:
Speaking of RB. Will it work with the Fuzes click wheel? Also, is this a complete firmware override? So to say it will have its own features, and maybe playlists for Gods sake?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
As far as Rockbox check my sig on that. If you can follow a relatively simple set of directions for installation and are willing to spend some time in the manual it would seem to get you the player you're looking for at a very good price. Also, if you haven't already look at the Port Status page on the Rockbox site. Rockbox is available for some iPods, you would need to determine if yours is one of them.

If you are looking to Rockbox a player look at either the Sansa Fuze(not the Plus model) or the Clip+. The Fuze is discontinued but still readily available here in the US. That includes both new and refurbished models. The Clip+ has a smaller screen that's unsuited for videos and lesser battery life but shares the same excellent sound quality.
From the manual.

Quote:
A playlist! One of the keys to getting the most out of Rockbox is understanding that Rockbox always considers the song that it is playing to be part of a playlist, and in some situations, Rockbox will create a playlist automatically. For example, if you are playing the contents of a directory, Rockbox will automatically create a playlist containing all songs in it. This means that just about anything that is described in this chapter with respect to playlists also applies to directories.
Rockbox file limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
In rockbox the max is whatever you can have on a fat32 file system, which I think is somewhere in the millions.
Put simply, with Rockbox the gloves are off. Pretty much what you care to do can be done as long as it doesn't involve MTP transfer or DRM. If it's within your budget get the Clip+. Except for the file limit in the OF it'll do most of what you want. If you Rockbox it it will do all you described in you first post except the long play time. If you get the Fuze you'll get that also.

Nobody here is getting paid to suggest Sansas I know of. I do it because I have worked my way through a LOT of players and just haven't found anything that offers a better bang for the buck.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Nobody here is getting paid to suggest Sansas I know of. I do it because I have worked my way through a LOT of players and just haven't found anything that offers a better bang for the buck.
I thought at some point they advertise j3s But i guess sansa is indeed a good deal, but as i see it Fuse is expensiver, but possible to get through ebay - costs about 40 50 bucks. Did anyone know how are the ebay sansas? Are there lots of fakes?

So fuse has no other differences except the design, the menu and scroll wheel, and battery? (i presume fuse can eat a 32gig card, can it?)

Is it the same GUI of rockbox on Fuse as in the manual? - [Later] Sorry, i see the themes now

Last edited by a1shot; 04-04-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
... Did anyone know how are the ebay sansas? Are there lots of fakes?

So fuse has no other differences except the design, the menu and scroll wheel, and battery? (i presume fuse can eat a 32gig card, can it?)
No such thing as fake sansa's or I've never seen one and I'm sure you can find a decent sansa on ebay, just check the seller ratings. Also check for refurbs from buy.com, amazon and the others, they sometimes have great prices and easy to return if you decide you don't want it.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Tags
30gb, flash, no software