android
Old 03-27-2011, 05:59 AM

Default Micro sd card

Hi All, i already have a 16gb micro sdhc card but im looking for a 32gb card and have seen some on ebay BUT the description reads"32gb micro sdhc card(Transflash) Please forgive my ignorance but is it the same thing? Also is there any way of putting films straight on to the external card? When i plug in the j3 to sync with windows it does give me the option to sync one either the internal memory or the external memory but to have the same choice with films how do i go about it? Thanks in advance, Huffy

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-27-2011, 07:02 AM

I wouldnít buy any microSD cards from ebay, theyíre full of ruthless sellers selling fake 32gb microSD cards. They look real and Iíve read that when you check it on your pc you can see the total capacity of 32gbís. Once you use the card and you exceeded 2gb, all of your other files will be corrupted because itís really 2gb not 32gb. They just re-program or hack it so that your computer will show you that itís 32gb. You are better off paying a little more and buying from a reputable dealer and getting the real thing.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-27-2011, 07:54 AM

I agree with the comments and warnings about possible fakes. This is really quite an illicit industry, apparently! Very widespread.

Better safe than sorry. Buy from a legitimate source, even if it's a bit more expensive.

Also, no matter where you buy your SD card, always be sure to TEST it right after you open the package and before you start using it.

Best test tool is H2TESTW, which you can read about here .

You can download it directly from here.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Agree with all...

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and you find a 32GB uSDHC card that seems unbelievably, impossibly cheap...

Guess what? Its probably a fake duck...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 03-27-2011, 10:03 AM

I will take your advice fellas and buy from a reputable dealer. What about the other parts to my question i.e. transflash??? Also at the moment i have a 16gb micro sd card in my J3 which windows media player finds when i sync my music. It also gives me the option to sync straight to to player or to the external card. My question is, i cant find the same option when putting a video on, can it be done where you have that option? Huffy

Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffy View Post
i.e. transflash???
transflash seems to be another name for a microSD card.

from wiki
Quote:
The microSD format was created by SanDisk. The concept was the brain child of the CTO of SanDisk and CTO of Motorola, who believed current memory card formats were too large for phones. It was originally called T-Flash, however just prior to product launch T-Mobile sent a cease and desist order to SanDisk claiming they own T-(anything) and the name was then changed to TransFlash.[citation needed] After pressure from Toshiba and Panasonic, SanDisks' partners in the 3C licensing group of the SDA, SanDisk negotiated to have the new format become a standard administered by the SDA (SD Card Association). The SDA announced the microSD format at CTIA Wireless 2005 on March 14, 2005, and approval of the final microSD specification was announced on July 13, 2005. At launch, the microSD format was available in capacities of 32, 64, and 128 MB. TransFlash and microSD cards are the same (each can be used in devices made for the other).
Steve

Old 03-28-2011, 10:03 AM

Default j3

Thanks for clearing up the transflash question, just got to sort out how to put films on to the external memory card.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 PM

Default micro SD or micro SDHC

Can i used Micro SDHC in J3, or i have to buy micro SD only. And plz tell me about is there any need to buy class 6 or higher or class 4 is good enough?

Old 04-23-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutu3 View Post
Can i used Micro SDHC in J3, or i have to buy micro SD only. And plz tell me about is there any need to buy class 6 or higher or class 4 is good enough?
Technically, it's a Micro SDHC card if it is 4GB or larger. Micro SD cards are only up to 2GB.

Both are the same physical size... 24mm x 32mm x 2.1mm.

The J3 accepts Micro SDHC cards up to 32GB, and I can't imagine why you would even consider using a 2GB Micro SD card as a mechanism for "expanding" the capacity of your J3. Most people have either 16GB or 32GB SDHC cards in their J3, based on what I've seen said on the forum.

Any speed is really fine for the card, for music purposes certainly. SDHC cards now are available in Class 2 through Class 10. The "write speed" rating really only affects how long it takes to copy files to the card.

My experience is that using the card in an external USB card reader/writer (for copying files to it, while removed from the J3) will almost certainly achieve the rated write speed of the card you buy. However you can also just leave the card inserted in the J3 and write to it in exactly the same way but directly through the USB-connected J3 (as a standard Windows drive letter, if MSC mode connection is used)... but it may be a bit slower than you would achieve using a standalone external USB card reader/writer.

You may find that if you store videos on the external card (as opposed to placing them on internal storage of the J3) that the speed rating of the card may now become more relevant during video playback. But for playing music files, even Class 2 is perfectly fine... though it will take correspondingly longer to write to it. But really, who cares if it takes 30 minutes or an hour to do an update, when you really don't do that very often?

Old 05-29-2011, 05:15 PM

I would like to know which class should I get to be safe that video playback will be smooth, there are kinda big differences in prices for 16/32GB mSDHC cards of different classes and I dont want to overkill it by buying class 10 but I also dont want to end up with choppy video playback. Is class 4 (I am not even thinkinh of class 2) enough for, lets say, 480p30 videos or do I need to have class 6 or even class 10 for that?