android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 03-27-2011, 12:30 AM

Lightbulb [RUMOR] Microsoft's Joe Belfiore Working On New Zune Hardware?

So, Zune, ahh, it should be in history for the most rumors. Zune is dead! Zune HD is dead! Zune Hardware is dead! Wait, no its alive! Or is it? Neowin.net "says" Joe Belfiore is working on new Zune Hardware... Senior Business Development Manager David McLauchlan, did previously state that "'i'll be going to work tomorrow, working on Zune hardware bizdev. And when Microsoft announces news that is actually news, you'll hear it from us directly, and I'll be sure to pass it on immediately".

So, there may be a chance that Zune Hardware will live on!

Check the link out here: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...-zune-hardware

Subscribe to my YouTube channel, ElectronicNerdHelp

Last edited by Machiventa; 03-29-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-27-2011, 01:40 AM

What a sight for sore eyes. But this still doesn't confirm anything.

Also
Quote:
The previous reports that Zune was dead came from a reliable source
LOLNO

Since when is an "unamed source" considered reliable?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:55 AM

Believe it when I see it.

Talk about couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:19 AM

Is a phone running WP7 considered Zune hardware? Is a tablet running WP7 or a version of Windows considered a Zune device? If Zune is a 'service', then whatever uses the Zune Marketplace, Zune Pass and Zune Software could be considered Zune hardware or a Zune device. iPhones and Androids could eventually be Zune devices too with an app.

Time will tell, of course. But, time seems to be somewhat telling already.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:37 AM

The part about Zune hardware is in Joe's official job title, which he has had for years. They just repeated it on the Mix website.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I see any mention of a new Zune going two ways. If they give us specs and a "coming in three months" notice you can bet Apple and/or Samsung/Cowon/iRiver/Archos bring out a better device at a lower price before the new Zune makes it to the store shelves. Or deny any work on a new Zune. Succeed in convincing the press nothing good could come from MS. Then suddenly show an amazing new Zune7 ready for order. If they actually do set a new standard for features and quality, they might actually gain a share of the PMP market. Apple is going to need a refresh of the Touch soon, so a new Zune7 would be just the push/target. That means MS gets 6 months to hold the lead (if they actually win it), and the game starts over. 4 years later we'll get another Zune.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Apple is going to need a refresh of the Touch soon, so a new Zune7 would be just the push/target. That means MS gets 6 months to hold the lead (if they actually win it), and the game starts over.
Thats kind of where it all goes wrong in this reality/dimension.

MS wont win anything. Any future Zune HARDWARE is totally hamstrung by -

Lack of direction.
Lack of support from parent company.
Lack of interest.
Lack of marketing and PR.
Lack of brand identity.
Considered a joke by the industry and consumers.
Lack of support and accessories by third party suppliers.
Lack of a world identity.
Very small polarised user base.
Tens of millions of exisiting happy iPod/Touch users all on Itunes and invested in it for many years.
Six years too late.

So as you can see it's not going anywhere. If I was Ballmer I would dump the Zune hardware angle ASAP, put it to rest. Concentrate on the Win7 mobile to try to make that at least vaguely successful and rebrand Zune service with a new name and a big splash of worldwide marketing ready for Windows 8/Xbox 3 (maybe even shoehorn the service or a free limited streaming version into it like Spotify).

The Zune brand may as well be called 'Herpes' it reeks of FAIL.

Its a shame as we all know its no fault of the hardware or software. Its all human failings.

Last edited by daglesj; 03-27-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:58 AM

daglesi we get it: you hate the Zune (Microsoft).
Must you troll the Zune forum?
Some of us like the Zune and would like to enjoy talking about it without being constantly trolled by haters.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Lack of brand identity.
Absolutely. As a fan of Zune, I hope that this article is correct, and that hardware development is ongoing, but the brand has taken so many knocks at this point (some of them outside of Microsoft's control, though they're clearly doing themselves no favors) that it's hard to imagine them coming back strong enough to really have any impact on their market share. I'm fine with Zune being a niche product, as long it retains support, but is Microsoft? Is the company really not aware that most people who have even heard of Zune think it is either dying or dead?

Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Apple is going to need a refresh of the Touch soon, so a new Zune7 would be just the push/target. That means MS gets 6 months to hold the lead (if they actually win it), and the game starts over. 4 years later we'll get another Zune.
I'm sure Apple could care less about any existing or new Zune player. All they need to do to keep the Touch flying off the shelves is add more capacity and maybe more RAM for multi-tasking...anything Zune-related won't affect Apple sales in the least.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Surfer View Post
Some of us like the Zune and would like to enjoy talking about it without being constantly trolled by haters.
Is that all you got from daglesi's post?
I don't see where he hates Zune. In fact he said;
Quote:
Originally Posted by daglesi
Its a shame as we all know its no fault of the hardware or software. Its all human failings.
If Zune HD is a failure it's because MS didn't support/promote it from the start.
iPod Mini 32GB (CF Mod)
V-Moda Remix

Old 03-27-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Surfer View Post

I am NOT a hater.

I own a Zune.
I have two Zune Docks.
I have the media cable set.
I have the Zune car radio set.
I have the Zune Travel Pack.
I have the Zune case.
I have the Zune dual headphone controller. (How many have that?)

I have invested in Zune more than most here. Probably more than you.

I love the Zune Hardware and have supported it for years.

Unlike a lot of people here I've woken up thats its just not going to work going forward.

To quote Zoolander - "Am I the only one here not taking crazy pills???"

Human incompetance has destroyed the Zune. Thats what I hate.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
The Zune brand may as well be called 'Herpes' it reeks of FAIL.

Why do have a zune if you consider it a failure? If you don't have one why bother commenting on the Zune section?

Getting back to the article, I would love to see updated Zune hardware.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawsome View Post
Why do have a zune if you consider it a failure? If you don't have one why bother commenting on the Zune section?

Getting back to the article, I would love to see updated Zune hardware.
I bought my Zune in early 2007 when it still may, just may have had a chance at being a decent niche alternative to the iPod.

Since then its just flapped about on the floor like a dying fish and year after year of waiting for the 'Big Push' that never came, kind of dents ones enthusiasm. Just take a long hard look at its history and then compare it to any other popular media device and its just shocking.

Take a look at Kinect. Thats what happens when a corporation like MS beleives in a product. That might have been Zune, but after 6 years....

Zune is still a good product and I'm not about to ditch mine. It's going with me to Canada BC in a few weeks time for a three week road trip. Tunes aplenty.

Apologies if I'm a realist. I guess being 40 makes me more cynical than some here.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well.......I am somewhat glad to hear that MS is continuing Zune hardware. But I really don't care anymore.

If they get rid of this terrible habit of theirs of providing and incredibly locked-down firmware, and forcing you to use specific software, then I may consider one, if they continue to provide this locked-down BS, then I will never own another Zune of any kind.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 03-27-2011, 02:20 PM

What should happen is that it will have the WP7 software on it. What will happen, is it will have the Zune HD software on it. That's my guess.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:53 PM

Thing is, if there is another non-phone Zune, what will happen to it?

Do we want yet another still-born pmp player with zero support? Another Zune thats US/Canada only?

If it does arrive and we dont see any advertising or mass media coverage (and I'm talking Kinect/iPad levels here) from a week or so before release then we'll know not to bother.

It's all or nothing if it ever occurs.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I wouldn't mind buying another Zune. For me, it does everything I ask it to. It continues to be cheaper than competition for similar amounts of storage.

I for one hope the development and progress with the Zune continues. The more options the better, right? If it ain't what you want, wonderful. Go blow your money on an overpriced iPod, or take your money to places that deserve it, like Cowon or Samsung or the like.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
Lack of brand identity.
You pretty much repeated yourself here. Although it is Zune's biggest problem and can be changed. It's up to their marketing department to change this. They've done a half assed job over the years so I don't see it happening.

Quote:
I remember browsing the web back around 2003-04 and constantly seeing people in forums bash ipod users the same way Zune users are today. Be it flamewars or teasing, it happened for a while. I wish I could pull up a forum post I found once of a poor ipod mini user confessing that his "Mp3 player that won't boot" was an iPod mini. He went about it in a pretty humorous way.

Last edited by eddie.exe; 03-27-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
I bought my Zune in early 2007 when it still may, just may have had a chance at being a decent niche alternative to the iPod.

Since then its just flapped about on the floor like a dying fish and year after year of waiting for the 'Big Push' that never came, kind of dents ones enthusiasm. Just take a long hard look at its history and then compare it to any other popular media device and its just shocking.

Take a look at Kinect. Thats what happens when a corporation like MS beleives in a product. That might have been Zune, but after 6 years....

Zune is still a good product and I'm not about to ditch mine. It's going with me to Canada BC in a few weeks time for a three week road trip. Tunes aplenty.

Apologies if I'm a realist. I guess being 40 makes me more cynical than some here.

I also think Microsoft could do a lot better about backing the Zune. They have a good product, they just need to stand behind it. I was hoping for more updates or apps but became content with the monthly releases of high quality games. I've figured out that I use my Zune mostly for discovering and listening to new music which was it's intended purpose. Sorry for jumping to conclusions so quickly.