android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 AM

I can't believe you guys are making me say this again:

Quote:
It is not the browser, it is the FIRMWARE.

The firmware is not capable of streaming video! Dave said so.

Don't make me repeat this.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-29-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Hm... Well, never having used either of those, I'm guessing here when I say that geez that must've been choppy. UNLESS it was set up to use virtual RAM... But I highly doubt that. Eh, but think about it. Only being able to buffer less than 128 MB of video at a time... I'm gonna assume those were pausing every couple of minutes or so to buffer...

You guessed completely wrong then. It is smooth as butter. And the image is beautiful. Not pixelated garbage like youtube. It's a sharp crisp picture. And this isn't what I've heard from others either. I've used it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgrzy View Post
I can't believe you guys are making me say this again:

Well then? We've been asking for a firmware updte for a while..

Old 03-29-2011, 05:46 PM

The Zune's hardware is highly capable of a Youtube app. If my old Windows Mobile 6.1 LG Incite that had 128MB RAM and 528 MHz Qualcomm MSM7201A and was really smooth with the video. Even the animations were smooth. I know the Tegra is more powerful 1. and 2. Windows Mobile was a memory hog. I only had 35 MB from the start and then try to multitask with around 5 apps would show the out of memory error.

Multitasking would be useful but I'm pretty sure it would run out of memory also.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie.exe View Post
You guessed completely wrong then. It is smooth as butter. And the image is beautiful. Not pixelated garbage like youtube. It's a sharp crisp picture. And this isn't what I've heard from others either. I've used it myself.
Hm. Well then, I'm speechless. All I know is what Dave has told us, and what has been confirmed by the likes of Medion and others who surely know more than I do.

EDIT:... And actually, upon a quick Google search, I found a blog post from "Jamie Odell, director of product management" over at Netflix dated August 26, 2010, in which he belatedly announced the release of the Netflix app for iOS... Here:
http://blog.netflix.com/2010/08/netf...ur-iphone.html

That's not exactly from day 1, and it was released only with support for the iOS 3 and 4 devices...

Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 PM

Location: Pennsylvania, United States of America(but always Saint Andrews, Scotland, United Kingdom), Earth, S

Does anyone actually know why the zunehd can't stream or even download videos? Because being able to download podcasts and videos from the marketplace would be a great feature to add and make my life complete.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Hm. Well then, I'm speechless. All I know is what Dave has told us, and what has been confirmed by the likes of Medion and others who surely know more than I do.

EDIT:... And actually, upon a quick Google search, I found a blog post from "Jamie Odell, director of product management" over at Netflix dated August 26, 2010, in which he belatedly announced the release of the Netflix app for iOS... Here:
http://blog.netflix.com/2010/08/netf...ur-iphone.html

That's not exactly from day 1, and it was released only with support for the iOS 3 and 4 devices...
I was refering to the Youtube app as being there from "day 1". I know the Netflix came after the Gen 3 iPod Touch was released, but the app was also released for the Gen 1 and 2 iOS devices.

In fact, it's an 8GB Gen 1 iPod Touch which I used the Netflix app on. So.. my point stands strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack37 View Post
Does anyone actually know why the zunehd can't stream or even download videos? Because being able to download podcasts and videos from the marketplace would be a great feature to add and make my life complete.
Yeah I've always wanted this feature as well. Think of all the content you'd have at your fingertips from your living room couch via HDMI out. It would be awesome.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:06 AM

How about an equalizer? that would be a big plus.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsdude7 View Post
How about an equalizer? that would be a big plus.
You mean a custom one? Yeah. Genre-based-EQs are stupid. You don't change your Equalization based on genre, you change it based on how the song/album was recorded.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:15 PM

I would like to have Speedx (android) http://www.androidtapp.com/speedx-3d/
and
Xconstruct (android) http://www.androidzoom.com/android_g...lite_pnvv.html

Old 04-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie.exe View Post
I was refering to the Youtube app as being there from "day 1". I know the Netflix came after the Gen 3 iPod Touch was released, but the app was also released for the Gen 1 and 2 iOS devices.

In fact, it's an 8GB Gen 1 iPod Touch which I used the Netflix app on. So.. my point stands strong.
Oh ok I didn't know that. Well, I'm not going to pretend that I know any more than I already said (which is just regurgitation anyway...). One thing I do know is that it would be up to YouTube and Netflix respectively to create the apps, not Zune team.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Buddy

YouTube and Netflix are not going to come to Zune HD - simply not possible on this hardware with this SDK. Sorry...

Cheers, Dave.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
YouTube and Netflix are not going to come to Zune HD - simply not possible on this hardware with this SDK. Sorry...

Cheers, Dave.
Dumb question: What if an app SDK becomes available, vs. the current SDK that is currently in use to develop its apps?

Old 04-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post

Cheers, Dave.
Email was apparently impossible too. Until April 1st that is. BTW, thanks for that! And I hate to be ungrateful, but could the programmer(s) fix it so AOL accounts work, and that emails can be read in landscape view? Then have them look at a way to open large emails.

Thanks Dave.

Olley

Old 04-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

If you read between the lines, Dave stated not with this SDK. I interpret this that with the correct SDK YouTube and NetFlix are possible.

Last edited by musichound; 04-02-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
tIf you read between the lines, Dave stated not with this SDK. I interpret this that with the correct SDK YouTube and NetFlix are possible.
OpenZDK?

Old 04-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, again showing how little I know... Is it possible for a different SDK to be brought to the ZuneHD? Even though I'm 99.9999999999999% sure that wouldn't happen anyway...

Old 04-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

In one of Dave_Mac's posts, he stated the SDK that is currently used for applications is geared mostly toward games, so writing apps other than games is not a straightforward process. I am wondering if there is a different SDK available so that apps can be better implimented. Dave didn't reply to my post yet so either there's no answer for this or he cannot elaborate.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:44 AM

Default Aim on Zune HD

I need aim on zune hd! an Aim app is a suggestion! Also, this may sound stupid, but skype? Just to join the conversation and watch the video calls. Just a opinion of what i think should be on Zune :P

Old 04-03-2011, 12:51 AM

Location: Pennsylvania, United States of America(but always Saint Andrews, Scotland, United Kingdom), Earth, S

viewing video calls would be impossible on the ZuneHD but a skype app with just messaging would be the best. Also downloading videos from the marketplace would be the bomb especially with a Zune dock plugged into my tv. Total awesomeness.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:49 AM

How bout an eBuddy app just to take down AIM, Yahoo, etc etc all in one blow.