android
Old 03-18-2011, 07:51 PM

Default Sennheiser HD-555 vs. Grado SR-225i

iv been wanting to get some good open headphones for a while and i dont want to spend too much and tese 2 seem pretty good. the senns are a bit cheaper but iv heard a lot of awesome things about the 225s. if theyre very much better i definitly dont mind payin a little more but if theyre not much better than the senns anyway ill go for them. suggestions anyone?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-18-2011, 08:23 PM

In my opinion, if you're looking for a single pair of headphones, Grados might not be the best choice. I like Grados but they aren't for every mood while Sennheisers tend to be pretty versatile. Build quality and comfort of the Senns is also way superior. Beyond the entry level (which are great value for money) Grado are way too expensive for what they are as well.

I don't know where you're based but in the UK SR225 are around 220 - you could certainly find a better Sennheiser for that price, such as the HD600.

If you consider going second hand, the world is your oyster with that budget. I got a second hand Stax SR-303 with and amp for less than it would have cost me for a new SR225 and they are on different planets when it comes to quality.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:02 AM

Well these won't be my first set of cans, iv been using some AT ath-m50s and I love them I just really like the sound of open air phones and I haven't had any in years, I hear good things about the hd595s as well, are they basicly a newer 555?

Old 03-19-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyBaker4867 View Post
Well these won't be my first set of cans, iv been using some AT ath-m50s and I love them I just really like the sound of open air phones and I haven't had any in years, I hear good things about the hd595s as well, are they basicly a newer 555?
No, they are same exact thing but more expensive and lacking some foam that inhibits the HD 555's soundstage. The newest Sennheiser mid-fi headphones are the HD 558's, maybe try those? (and remove the foam because apparently Sennheiser did the same thing again).

Old 03-19-2011, 02:48 PM

Ooh alright thanks, the 558s definitly look good and not a bad price at all, how does the sound compare to the sr225s? As far as actual descriptions of the sound not just biased fanboy opinions of one is good and one is not with no real comparison. Thanks

Old 03-19-2011, 03:13 PM

They really are two very different takes on how sound should be presented.

Grados are very fast and extremely clear in the mids, with a definite boosting of the mid-treble region which makes music sound very exciting and high-energy. Unless you mod them they won't have any kind of soundstage at all. As stated, except for the SR60/MS1 they should be cheaper. Another issue is pads. I love the way Grados sound with comfie pads and flats - but really hate them with bowls. Shrill and overly bright.

Sennheiser's sound is much more relaxing and natural sounding and have nice, not huge but decent, sound stages. I listened to the 558 in a department store recently and they are the same house of sound as the HD650, just less so in every area. Comfort-wise and build quality-wise the Sennheisers are much better.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:46 PM

Thank you, this is great info, the 558s sound pretty sweet and definitly cheaper so I think I'll go with them, I really appreciate it

Tags
grado, hd555, sennheiser, sr225, sr225i