android
Old 03-18-2011, 08:46 AM

Default What does "low bass" mean?

Hey abi,

I noticed a lot of people say that some headphones (IEMs) have low/weak bass. Also noticed this on dfkt's headphone comparison. So I just bought cowon i9 + klipsch s3 and tried playing with equalizer and different settings. I increased bass a lot and on most songs bass is very strong and there's even too much bass - it's just uncomfortable. So that means that those headphones have very good bass, or do you measure bass when equalizer is on default?

Or I could ask this question on different way: do you always max out bass on equalizer before saying that headphones has weak bass?

That's my first "decent" IEM headphones so maybe I just don't know what "real" bass means

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

the cowon players have ore bass boosting ability than most players. I was about to take back my senn hd428s because of a lack of bass...then I got my J3 and decided to keep them. they are positivley lacking when using my ipod touch 3rd gen or my nook.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:19 AM

I believe when qualifying IEMs it's all under flat EQ, which makes more sense, but of course one can and should adapt the EQ to their tastes and to each IEM sound aspects.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 AM

When I saw the title I was thinking of sub-bass.

Bass quantity is usually judged with EQ off.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 AM

Then what's the point of saying that headphones have low bass when you can just increase bass using EQ until it's enough for you?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:29 AM

One point is that many MP3 players have rather bad sounding EQs, and only a selected few (Cowon, Rockbox, etc) actually improve sound quality when using their EQs, instead of making the sound worse.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:35 AM

What dfkt said. Besides that, some people (like myself) do not really like messing with EQ.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblavkalash View Post
Then what's the point of saying that headphones have low bass when you can just increase bass using EQ until it's enough for you?
Wouldn't you like to get the real picture before you resort to EQ'ing to taste. BTW I agree with sYlt and dfkt's posts. Also IMO it's better to reduce values to eq to taste than to increase, unless it's a subtle increase, works better for me.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Wouldn't you like to get the real picture before you resort to EQ'ing to taste. BTW I agree with sYlt and dfkt's posts. Also IMO it's better to reduce values to eq to taste than to increase, unless it's a subtle increase, works better for me.
Well I mean you take really good headphones and they have strong bass by default. Now you take mediocre headphones and increase bass using EQ - now they become similar to those good headphones

But if increasing frequency means worse sound quality then I agree with you, I thought SQ remains the same.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Well I mean you take really good headphones and they have strong bass by default.
Bass quantity doesn't say anything about the overall quality of a phone at all. You can get good and bad sounding phones with lots or little bass.

For example, the Phonak PFE or Ortofon e-Q5 have rather little bass quantity (but very good bass quality), yet they are excellent phones overall.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:33 AM

Yeah I understand that, I meant to say "...you take really good headphones which have strong bass by default." :P

I was talking about bass quantity, not on quality in this thread. You in your spreadsheet even separated quantity and quality bass. On some headphones you wrote "Little" bass, but that's not a big problem if you can boost it using good equalizer.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:41 AM

Headphone characteristics/specs may be judged on flat EQ 'cause that's their 'native' response to signal input.

EQing isn't a remedy for headphones with poor specs; it's just a way of modulating sound to your tastes depending on music genre, listening habits, etc.

If, in particular, a headphone set lacks of bass quantity/quality, EQ-boosting low freqs to max won't do any good. As dfkt said, it'll most likely sound worst.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:13 AM

Turn down the other frequencies and you will have louder bass, and it will sound better. I pity the fool who chooses to not use an EQ to improve the sound.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Or I could ask this question on different way: do you always max out bass on equalizer before saying that headphones has weak bass?
Many headphones don't respond well to heavy equalizing.