android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 03-17-2011, 09:26 PM

Default What are some good headphones for around $200?

I finally decided to buy some pretty good headphones... the most I have spend was maybe around $40 which I got both the Sony XB500 and also XB40EX

I was really thinking about the TMA-1 I saw good reviews and they look really nice

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Administrator

More info might help. Try starting here. Price isn't always great indicator of what's the best phones for you. The TMA-1 are great example in my case. After carefully reading dfkt's review I concluded they weren't for me.

My taste in music runs more toward the less heavy acoustic genres. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the TMA-1 or they can't do acoustic decently. It just means that if I'm going to spend that type of cash I want a set of phones that do what I want as their strength.

$200 is a decent budget. Let folks know what you like and someone should be able to suggest something that fits your tastes as well as your budget.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:53 PM

Well im still pretty young 19, and I haven't really tried any types of high-end phones before. And everyone thinks I'm crazy for even spending $200 dollars on some headphones. I want some headphones that are pretty bassy but not to much...I listen to mostly Rap/Hip-Hop whatever would seem best for hip-hop songs also this will be my first high end headphones so whatever might be some good starter headphones for a newbie at this kind of stuff.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaskid16 View Post
Well im still pretty young 19, and I haven't really tried any types of high-end phones before. And everyone thinks I'm crazy for even spending $200 dollars on some headphones.
Who is everyone?

SO what would you like to hear out from your songs? The bass beats from the hip hop songs, or the vocals from the rap? And is there any store in your area that you know have audition sets available?

Last edited by Xinz; 03-18-2011 at 02:03 AM.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:13 AM
Administrator

I think the $200 budget is what they are working with now. I believe the $40 is what they spent in the past for other phones. You can pick up either the Sony XB500 and XB40EX in the US for around $40.

Let "everyone" think whatever they want. I think you're going at it the right way. Most quality DAPs and PMPs sound just about alike now. Quality encoded music files are either fairly easy to rip for yourelf or buy now. The difference between a quality music experience and a poor one occurs at the endpoint of the delivery system, the headphones. Once I took that to heart I found just how good portable music can sound.

Considering what you say about your taste in music and dfkt's review the TMA-1 seem to be worth the investment for you. Someone else may come along with a better suggestion but I'd keep them at the top of the list as I shopped around.

Hang in there. If you've got $200 to spend on a set of cans it shouldn't be too tough to find a set that meets your needs.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinz View Post
Who is everyone?
I think its nuts having a budget of 40 bucks and looking at TMA-1.

SO what would you like to hear out from your songs? The bass beats from the hip hop songs, or the vocals from the rap? And is there any store in your area that you know have audition sets available?
The most I ever spent before was $40 bucks and I figured I got some money saved up why not buy some good headphones that will actually be worth the money and I think you misread my post I have a budget of $200 now.

Also if there is a good headphone where it is pretty even between the beats and raps. Like I said im still newbie to this more expensive headphones experience and Im just trying to get the most out of my money. Ive seen many headphones around this price with good reviews and its just difficult for me to make a decision at this point. So I figured Id get as much advise I could before regreting anything.