android
Old 03-15-2011, 11:22 AM

Default Which Cowon supports line-out w. screen on?

I have looked around a bit at this and here's what I'm looking for:

WAV & WMA-lossless support.

line-out capability (not a head phone jack jury rig) that also leaves the unit fully functional. I have read that the J3 (which looked like a good candidate) turns the on-screen functions off once you enable video out. So it's not clear to me when/how/if audio line-out would operate on that or any other model.

This be utilized as an in-car solution for replacement of the CD-changer.
I have an aux-in and USB as well. So a cable that plugs into the Cowon and provides stereo line-out with a USB pigtail that could pug in for power would be ideal if the Cowon can be charged or powered in that manner.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-21-2011, 03:32 PM

Unhappy J3 don't have line out

Hi ,

I think than the cowon X5 use to have a dedicated line out with a screen fully fonctionnal

Old 03-21-2011, 04:34 PM

The line-out on the X5 (and most other players) is crap, the headphone-out sounds noticeably better.

Those so-called 'line-outs' on most portable players are no true line-outs anyways, they do not provide proper -10dBV line levels. If any, they disable the player's volume control, but that's about it.

Headphone-outs are more than good enough, especially on players like the J3. Driven with no load (or, near-infinite load), they are pretty much perfect. This is way less 'jury rigged' than the pseudo-line-out nonsense on some players.

I don't think any decent player supports WMA Lossless. It's a pretty bad format compared to what's available freely and openly. Just transcode your WMAL files to the much superior FLAC format, as most quality players support it.

Some MP3 player 'line-out' RMAA tests:
http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Compa...e-x5-phone.htm
http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Compa...%2C%20H340.htm
http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Compa...20Line-Out.htm

Old 03-21-2011, 04:53 PM

Hmmmm. . . a lot of portable enthusiasts on head-fi go nuts about using line outs and external amps, more BS?

Old 03-21-2011, 04:55 PM

Indeed, it's total BS in most cases (for most attached amps and/or headphones).