android
  #21  
Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 AM
snicholls snicholls is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrakerone View Post
Did you click the "zune HD" section of the apps?
There is no Zune HD section (and yes it is the correct software and I am logged in )
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #22  
Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Master_Jackson's Avatar
Master_Jackson Master_Jackson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 104
Default

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B84...ut=list&num=50
Reply With Quote

  #23  
Old 03-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Uberman5000 Uberman5000 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicholls View Post
There is no Zune HD section (and yes it is the correct software and I am logged in )
Log out, close the software, switch your computer's region to United States in the control panel, and then open it again.
Reply With Quote

  #24  
Old 03-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Mr Manager Mr Manager is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
The tech sites are all just passing on a "guess" as news reported by Bloomberg. Blame the general lack of anything exciting going on in the tech world for the runaway fire that one little match caused.

My "guess" is that there is probably a prototype or two in the labs at microsoft of a "next generation" Zune PMP or media player series.

...

I would understand both scenarios being possible. MS could just give up, or they could take another shot. Do a Samsung and make a phoneless version of one of their Win7 Phones for sale as a PMP. Anything is possible, and from experience we know that what MS actually does doesn't have to make sense to us.

JMHO
Of course, what you're saying makes a lot of sense. I actually would be happier if Microsoft came out and said "We haven't decided what the future of Zune hardware is; we're still trying to gauge demand." Of course, they can't (or won't) come out and say that. My problem is that the Zune brand has, unfairly to my mind, become a joke, a synonym for a failed experiment. When CNN says the Zune hardware is dead and Microsoft responds "The Microsoft Windows Live music software conglomerate of Zune services networked to Windows Phone, Kin, Courier, and XBOX continues to be thought about, explored, and discussed" that does absolutely nothing to mitigate the effect of that story. Those of us who already love Zune may hold out a hope and, should they decide to bring out another hardware device, many of us will probably buy it, but Microsoft's potential future customers are getting the message, loud and clear, that Zune is dead. The company is killing the demand while waiting to measure the demand.
Reply With Quote

  #25  
Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Uberman5000 Uberman5000 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 69
Default

Gotta love what gets the media going. They immediately publish a report from "a man on the inside" like it's actual news, and they also do a story about people lining up to get an iPad 2 like it was an entirely unexpected phenomenon. "Gosh, people lining outside the Apple Store to get iShit! Have you ever seen such a thing, people?"

Probably just what they assume people want to read, especially when it involves Microsoft's foot in its mouth. You don't see Cnet posting articles extolling the death of the Creative Zen player.
Reply With Quote

  #26  
Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 AM
aimran aimran is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Manager View Post
Of course, what you're saying makes a lot of sense. I actually would be happier if Microsoft came out and said "We haven't decided what the future of Zune hardware is; we're still trying to gauge demand." Of course, they can't (or won't) come out and say that. My problem is that the Zune brand has, unfairly to my mind, become a joke, a synonym for a failed experiment. When CNN says the Zune hardware is dead and Microsoft responds "The Microsoft Windows Live music software conglomerate of Zune services networked to Windows Phone, Kin, Courier, and XBOX continues to be thought about, explored, and discussed" that does absolutely nothing to mitigate the effect of that story. Those of us who already love Zune may hold out a hope and, should they decide to bring out another hardware device, many of us will probably buy it, but Microsoft's potential future customers are getting the message, loud and clear, that Zune is dead. The company is killing the demand while waiting to measure the demand.
I would like to see Microsoft release a new Zune right now just so all these news websites lose credibility. Of course, most news organizations just spit out lies these days just to get views. And keep in mind that apparently it is cool to write negative spin on anything Microsoft and the media knows they will get hits if they do that.
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old 03-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Darkhyperchaos Darkhyperchaos is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 38
Default

I just have to question why a few new games and apps being released here and there suddenly warrants the device as being "not dead". As I've said before, if a few new apps were so important and so great, then there's another device that offers a much better experience for apps. One of the reasons many bought the Zune HD is because they didn't care about apps. So why are a few apps now so meaningful?

I don't mean to discredit what you're doing, Dave. I appreciate that you still care and are trying to make the Zune HD better. However, I don't see how a few new apps being released every so often on a aging and locked up device suddenly makes it not dead. The Zune HD is dead. It might not be 100% shut down yet, but a few apps on a device that "wasn't about the apps" is hardly convincing. And for those who are drooling over the new apps, the reality is there is a similar device that offers you 400,000+ apps and that number is rapidly growing.
Reply With Quote

  #28  
Old 03-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Darkhyperchaos Darkhyperchaos is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
I would like to see Microsoft release a new Zune right now just so all these news websites lose credibility.
I would too! That would be the best way for MS to redeem themselves, announce a Zune HD2 that is finally competitive with the latest iPod Touch. Unfortunately, at this point that seems like a pipe dream.
Reply With Quote

  #29  
Old 03-15-2011, 12:24 PM
jonhapimp jonhapimp is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6
Default

i'm still waiting on a zune phone, one that has wp7 but has the same musical presence the hd has. hint hint
Reply With Quote

  #30  
Old 03-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Master Devwi's Avatar
Master Devwi Master Devwi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 175
Default

Thanks for the update, Dave. The internet just loves to jump to conclusions based on the rumor and speculation.

I love Zune, the Zune HD, and Windows Phone 7. While I'd really like to see a WP7-based Zune HD2 down the line, I'm quite happy with my Samsung Focus. You guys do a great job, and it saddens me to see the internet make fun of Zune at the first chance they get.

Thanks again for the response and keep up the great work!
Reply With Quote

  #31  
Old 03-15-2011, 01:04 PM
foolishgrunt foolishgrunt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Default

Just wondering, did anybody verify that this Dave account is legit?
Reply With Quote

  #32  
Old 03-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Master Devwi's Avatar
Master Devwi Master Devwi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishgrunt View Post
Just wondering, did anybody verify that this Dave account is legit?
Yes, Dave McLauchlan is a Senior Business Development Manager for Zune. He has a long history of posting on our forums. You can definitely trust what he has to say.
Reply With Quote

  #33  
Old 03-15-2011, 01:12 PM
poisonousjuice's Avatar
poisonousjuice poisonousjuice is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishgrunt View Post
Just wondering, did anybody verify that this Dave account is legit?
At least you registered an appropriate user name for that question

So with these rumors, you can look at it this way...

You can now have an mp3 player that they will announce in a few months that an even better one is coming out, or you can have an mp3 player that you know will always be the best one of it's kind. lol.
Reply With Quote

  #34  
Old 03-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Moonrakerone's Avatar
Moonrakerone Moonrakerone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonousjuice View Post
At least you registered an appropriate user name for that question

So with these rumors, you can look at it this way...

You can now have an mp3 player that they will announce in a few months that an even better one is coming out, or you can have an mp3 player that you know will always be the best one of it's kind. lol.
you're a glass half full kind of guy, huh?
__________________
"You can live in this illusion, you can choose to believe..." -Nine Inch Nails
Reply With Quote

  #35  
Old 03-15-2011, 01:48 PM
ToysSamurai ToysSamurai is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post

So for those who tweeted or emailed asking what I'm "going to do now" - I'll be going to work tomorrow, working on Zune hardware bizdev. And when Microsoft announces news that is actually news, you'll hear it from us directly, and I'll be sure to pass it on immediately. Only then should you take it as gospel.

Cheers, Dave.
Dear Dave,

Thanks for sharing the info. Now, when you are back to work, can you please think about the following:

I love my Zune. Really, I love it. But the chance I am getting a Windows Phone in the next couple years is NEXT TO ZERO. Yes, I know Microsoft is very proud of its new phone OS, but the reality is that many people, like me, cannot and/or will not change their smartphone OS. I use Android myself. I would ABSOLUTELY love to see a Zune client on Android. To be honest with you, if there's not a Zune client for Android in the next year or so, I am afraid that when Google finally releases its music store, I may have no choice but cancel my Zune membership because I do not intend to carry one more devices with me other than my smartphone.

So, please think about developing a Zune app for platforms other than Microsoft's own. There is Office for Mac, I don't see why there couldn't be Zune for Android, for iOS, for Mac, for Linux.


Sincerely,

Kam
Reply With Quote

  #36  
Old 03-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Mr Manager Mr Manager is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 35
Default

Hey, Dave's famous! I hope he doesn't get in trouble for sharing what little info he can with us. We do appreciate the updates, even if it leads to being singled out in snarky blog posts. I still say that this is why a definitive statement needs to be made. Each equivocating response is just fuel for the fire.
Reply With Quote

  #37  
Old 03-15-2011, 02:16 PM
epithetless's Avatar
epithetless epithetless is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, Mass
Posts: 1,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Manager View Post
Hey, Dave's famous! I hope he doesn't get in trouble for sharing what little info he can with us.
He won't. He shared just little enough to be in the clear.
__________________
Rockbox Themes:
Sansa Fuze: XL Fuzed // Sansa Clip/Clip+: Cliplined
Reply With Quote

  #38  
Old 03-15-2011, 02:39 PM
daglesj daglesj is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Devwi View Post
Yes, Dave McLauchlan is a Senior Business Development Manager for Zune. He has a long history of posting on our forums. You can definitely trust what he has to say.
But in all honesty, he hasnt really said anything has he.

Other than 'Watch this space' which we've all been watching with fading interest since the HD was launched all that time ago.
Reply With Quote

  #39  
Old 03-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Joe_Linux Joe_Linux is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 199
Default

Is the Zune HD a drag and drop system player that is fully compatible with Linux?
Reply With Quote

  #40  
Old 03-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Master Devwi's Avatar
Master Devwi Master Devwi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Linux View Post
Is the Zune HD a drag and drop system player that is fully compatible with Linux?
The Zune HD only syncs with the Zune software client on the PC and the Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac. As far as I am aware, it's not compatible with Linux.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.