android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 03-14-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberman5000 View Post
I consider this the same as "dying off". An industry with one guy at the top of the heap, and a bunch of knockoffs clamouring around it, isn't a real industry; it's a plutocracy. Especially when its being neglected in favour of an industry that costs more for the consumer.

Maybe I'm just miffed because, with the Zune falling by the wayside, I'm not sure what, if any, will spring up to replace it. Stunning OLED screen of a perfect size for video viewing, it weighs next to nothing, its got really wonderful social and navigation features... I don't want to have to get a chintzy Walkman S after this, or bust my balls to get a Cowon player that won't work properly in my country. It's upsetting to see an interesting specialty technology be struck down by a do-everything technology that only leaves the most exploitive bit of kit to survive the tide of progress.

I shouldn't be so upset, though. My Zune 120 was a fantastic player, even though I bought it weeks before it was discontinued, and I used it for years afterwards. I would still be using it if the hard drive didn't fail (and might still use it when I get it replaced). The Zune HD would undoubtedly be no different, I should be happy for the present rather than mourn for the future.
I don't think it has to die off. I think the user community has just been far too quiet. Send emails to MS, write their reps, make renders of products you want to see. We can have more choice, but it will take time. The Zune doesn't have to die, if we work to keep it alive and get it updated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-14-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberman5000 View Post
So rather than PMPs dying off, they're rapidly shrinking down to the iPod Touch and its imitators. This isn't an improvement.
It's not an improvement because manufaturers like MS let Apple take the PMP market. Where's the Samsung Galaxy PMP? It competes nicely with the iPod Touch... but why can't I buy it?

The PMP market is still strong... and only Apple seems to want to make money off of it.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 PM

With my Android phone, i really don't care about apps/updates, as long as my precious Zune Pass will still be around. I refuse to buy all my music. I really don't want to go back to pirating.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Zune Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zune facebook
Hey ZuneNation - here's what WE have to say: We’re absolutely committed to providing the best movies, music, and TV show experiences through Zune on Xbox, the PC, Windows Phone 7 and Zune devices. We’ll share more information about the evolution of the Zune entertainment service and Zune hardware as future plans develop.

Thanks for being a part of this awesome community!
http://www.facebook.com/Zune/posts/10150109964088963

Old 03-14-2011, 08:21 PM

Another vague non-denial: http://www.facebook.com/Zune/posts/10150109964088963. I currently have a Zune 120, and would have loved to buy a Zune HD if they ever released one with a capacity of at least 80 GB. I think these are great players, and the Zune Pass is awesome. Whether or not it will remain awesome when my Zune eventually dies is another story. I'm definitely a convert to subscription music now, but whether that subscription stays with Zune long term will depend a lot on what they do next. If they aren't going to make hardware, they should certainly try to make the software more ubiquitous. Follow Netflix's model and put it on every platform and every device, from iPads to set top boxes. Otherwise, as the Zune devices die off, they'll lose a lot of subscribers, and the service will eventually be choked off as well. I'm also being foolishly optimistic until I hear a specific announcement from Microsoft and/or Dave, but right now I'm feeling pretty bummed.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just saw that facebook post 2 minutes ago - it's true then,..the "zune entertainment service',...the zune is dead!!!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 PM

I'm waiting for an actual response. That fb post clears things up a little bit, but a response from ms or dave would clear things up a lot

Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 PM

Did we ever hear actual sales numbers for the Zune HD? And when I say sales, I mean sales to customers - not retailers. I can't believe it sold more than 1M units. It probably didn't even sell 500k units.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
Did we ever hear actual sales numbers for the Zune HD? And when I say sales, I mean sales to customers - not retailers. I can't believe it sold more than 1M units. It probably didn't even sell 500k units.
Considering the amount of reviews on Amazon, Best Buy, etc..., I say it sold more than 1 million easily.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Pandora (and its ilk) killed the Zune Pass. As for the Zune hardware, it was crippled from the start. The idiot savant of PMPs. WiFi potential, but no vision for how valuable access to the web (for things like email) could be. Fear of bluetooth, predicting WiFi would replace all things Bluetooth. Meanwhile Apple activates bluetooth on the Touch and all hell breaks loose.

A brilliant (savant) music player, in the day when everyone listened to MP3s through crappy earbuds. Too cheap to throw in the premuim earbuds they included with the 80.

JMHO

Old 03-14-2011, 09:03 PM

I think most of us knew this was coming, what with no new firmware in about a year and no new device last year, but it still is a bummer to see it actually happen.

It's a shame.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ This. 100% - a shame indeed.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 PM

Location: Pennsylvania, United States of America(but always Saint Andrews, Scotland, United Kingdom), Earth, S

Its quite sad for me, even though I've only known what a Zune is for like a year. I had high hopes for my ZuneHD but it seems none of them will come true. Maybe I will sell my HD, or keep it as an antique. Either way it's a great shame to see such a great brand die on a low note.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:47 PM

No surprise but still disappointing. I been with Zune for the Pass and will probably stick with it as long as our players keep working. Won't be buying any more players, though, new or used.

And, since I just bought my first Apple product ever a couple of weeks ago, I would probably drop the Pass in a heartbeat if Apple came out with a similar product. Even though iTunes sucks compared to Zune software and the iPhone music players really sucks compared to the Zune.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:57 PM

Im calling it..Microsoft is DOOMED to FAIL...The only product that would be famous after 3 years from now would be just Xbox (some #)...

Anyways, I would have actually liked to see a FW update before doing this Sh**t..NO I am not asking to make it like WP7 but atleast correct things that are wrong with current FW..like Wifi and Name scrolling or some other Sh**t.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack37 View Post
Its quite sad for me, even though I've only known what a Zune is for like a year. I had high hopes for my ZuneHD but it seems none of them will come true. Maybe I will sell my HD, or keep it as an antique. Either way it's a great shame to see such a great brand die on a low note.
Why in the world would you sell the HD just because the product line is being discontinued? If you have it, that means you got it for a reason, and that reason doesn't go away just because of this.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:05 PM

When Dave sees this thread, he is going to see many people are mad. I'm still in denial. I don't believe the hardware is dead at all. If we don't see anything new by PDC then I call it being dead. There were rumors saying the HD2 was coming, both in September and March but of course we don't know if those are real.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:13 PM

On a positive note, IE9 has officially been released and is available for download. I have to say, Microsoft really has a winner with this one. Best looking browser I've ever used, works perfectly with W7. Sucks about Zune though. Will have to wait for an official announcement to confirm it for good.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthsound1 View Post
When Dave sees this thread, he is going to see many people are mad. I'm still in denial. I don't believe the hardware is dead at all. If we don't see anything new by PDC then I call it being dead. There were rumors saying the HD2 was coming, both in September and March but of course we don't know if those are real.
When is the next PDC?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 PM

Location: Pennsylvania, United States of America(but always Saint Andrews, Scotland, United Kingdom), Earth, S

I would sell it so I had money to buy something better like an iPod touch 4g. Gasp! Yes I do like the touch 4g. But I hate itunes so its a hard call. Also my ZuneHD is pretty beat up so I wil probably need to get a new pmp within a year or a year an a half.