android
Old 03-11-2011, 12:02 AM

Default J3 drains battery overnight???

A few days ago my J3 stayed dead when I woke up and switched it on. After charging for a while it said 25% battery.

It's strange because I charged my J3 fully the night before and didn't use it afterwards. And even if J3 was accidentally turned on playing music all night, the battery couldn't drain that fast. At least it never did.

It happened twice. At first I thought it was something to do with the new UCI I installed sometimes before. But then my friend's D2 got this very same problem. Battery dropped dead without use, no change in software. Didn't think this battery-theft thing was random anymore.

Suspects:
Recently we BOTH started to use the USB 3.0 ports in our new laptops to charge J3 and D2. After switching to USB 2.0 port and adapters, everything seems normal until now. A search on this problem showed so result. I do not dare to use USB 3.0 again though I don't know whether it causes the problem. It's tempting though, saying a USB 2.0 device could be as fast as it can on USB 3.0 port.

Thanks for reading and any suggestion would be appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-11-2011, 04:28 AM

It might be a silly question but do you switch your J3 off when you dont listen to music? or at least sleep?

Old 03-11-2011, 04:33 AM

The only time my J3's battery drained completely overnight was when I tested the bluetooth mode and accidentally left it running.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:51 PM

i think if you leave it on sleep mode it slowly drains, rather than sleep mode being turned off.
Cowon J3 32gb + 16gb MicroSDHC
Hippo VB, Sennheiser CX300 II

Old 03-13-2011, 12:14 AM

Yeah I'm happy to say that it's not happening anymore ^.^

I'm sure bluetooth was not turned on at those time it drained battery

I double checked before the second drain, it was sleeping when I left it.

Now I still let Sleep Mode on and no problem so far.

So I just have one theory in mind that USB 3.0 ports use somewhat different power outlet and messed up J3's battery. I'm not sure about this, as it just happened twice over 1 month.

Happy jay three and have a nice day ^.^

Old 03-13-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoG View Post
Yeah I'm happy to say that it's not happening anymore ^.^

So I just have one theory in mind that USB 3.0 ports use somewhat different power outlet and messed up J3's battery. I'm not sure about this, as it just happened twice over 1 month.

Happy jay three and have a nice day ^.^
While USB 3.0 does support a higher voltage, it will only give as much as is drawn by the device, so this should not be the issue.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:19 AM

I've been getting this issue a bit myself. Occasionally I put my j3 into sleep mode at ~75% indicated battery only to find it dead as a brick with a reset time/date less than 48hrs later. This is always an unpleasant surprise on my morning walk to work.

It's pretty ridiculous, considering my netbook will last over a week in suspend mode... Where is that electricity going?

Old 07-11-2011, 03:14 PM

Hello to all of you. I am the new member with a new J3.
I have a Problem that fits in here so I hope it is okey to post it even if this threat is not brand new:
I got my player (32 GB + 32 GB mSD) on Sutterday, first I let it load on my PC. Than I filled it up with audiobooks (both from audible and as MP3s) and some Musik. That took some time (bacause I made the mistake to overlook the 8000 file limit).
Yesterday evening at about 8 I diskonektet it from my PC, got to bed and listend for about 1 to 2 hours. I jused the sleeptimer to switsch it of.
Today when I got up at 7 the player was empty and I was shocked.
This time I jused my AC-USB charcher. And About 10 AM it was full again. Than I changed brightness to 1, display of to 10 sec, and tried to juse the display as seldom as possible. Over the day I listend to an audiobook and from the start to battery-end at about 7 PM I got as far as about two hours of the book. (I had to turn it of ever so often during the day). I did not shut the player down during the day, it just went to sleep-mode.

BUT: two hours of playbak and another 5 hours of sleep mode... that is not enough. Just now I saw, that bluetooth was on the hole time (did not change it from the first start on saturday) but can that be so bad?

Is there something I might have overlooked or do I have to return it?

(I am from germany, so please excuse my bad english)
Thanks, Ilkyway

Old 07-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Bluetooth does eat a lot of battery charge.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:50 PM

Okey, I will test this tomorow. But less than a day for a fully charged player does not seem to be right.
Before the J3 I had an Ipod touch 4g 32GB. W-Lan drained battery, but not so fast to make it less than a day.
But we will see tomorow.
Thanks for your answer.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't know if the bluetooth is enough to explain all of the battery drain, but I'm sure it is part of it.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 PM

This happened to me last night as well (is it the phase of the moon that's doing it?)

Fell asleep listening to my J3 - it would have gone into sleep mode not long after, since I've got it set to cycle through an album and then stop. The battery was fully charged yesterday.

This morning: flat as a tack. It had even forgotten the date, and reset back to 2008 (is that the factory default?)

Can anyone suggest why this could have happened, please? Settings I need to check, stuff like that? The music I was listening to was MP3s coded at VBR 0, but there were only 8 tracks, so it shouldn't have eaten the battery to that degree. I have the J3 set to go into sleep mode when it finishes playing an album.

This is not a common occurrence for me by any means. But it has happened once before, when I manually shut the J3 down (well, put it into sleep), and came back to it two hours later and it had gone from 75% battery to zero. That had me puzzled as well.

Any suggestions regarding this would be gratefully received. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Sutterday
I lol'd,

Old 07-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Not that sure on the J3 but FWIW on most devices blue tooth dors not eat a lot of battery juice. It's the Wifi that drains it rather quickly, and of cours the J3 doesn't apply here to that.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:00 AM

@ zefhar glad, that I made you laugh. Be sure that will happen again, as I said, english is not my native languarge.

Back to topic: I turned the blue toot of yesterday and did the same as the night before. Todays mornig battery was still full. Till now (from 7 am to 10 am) I jused it in the same way as yesterday evening and bettery remains full.
So no quick drainig today.
I will test how long the battery lasts this time and after charging again I will turn blue tooth back on to see if this will happen again.

By the way: On saturday (looked it up just for you zefhar ;-) I felt that the J3 got warm. Today this is not the case. Any ideas on this?

Old 07-12-2011, 04:50 AM

For my own part, I've had Bluetooth disabled since I first got the device, so that wasn't responsible for my J3's sudden battery drain.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:42 AM

It would be interesting how much batterylife someone gets who actuly uses his blue tooth for haedphones etc. I can't imagine that he would be okey with 4 to 5 houres from full to empty.
So I agree with you: that can't be the reason.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:44 PM

I have no idea how this might work, and I'm just wondering about this out loud (so please don't make me put on the flame-proof suit!), but I've realised that last night, when my J3 drained its battery completely in just a few hours, I had had it plugged in via USB to my PC, both charging and replacing audio files I'd listened to with new ones.

I did something I don't usually do, and forgot to "stop" the USB and disconnect the J3 before I shut down my (Windows 7) PC. And I have a feeling that I did something similar a couple of months back, the only other time when it drained unexpectedly in just two hours of being in sleep mode.

I have no idea how this would work, but is this a possible source for the unexpected behaviour? I know disconnecting from a Mac without stopping the USB can cause grief, so maybe a PC as well? Or maybe it's something to do with the way my brand or model of motherboard behaves or feeds a charge through the USB?

I'm not sure. But I'm not really game to try doing it deliberately to my J3 just to see if the battery drain happens again. I don't want to risk damaging either the battery or the J3's brain.

But has anyone got any thoughts on this? Is it possible?

Last edited by Branais; 07-12-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Typos, typos, always typos ...

Old 07-12-2011, 03:54 PM

Well, you might be on a trail there: I also did charge via usb and put files on it. And I also did not "stop" the USB, I tried but it was not listet in the "hadware save plug of" or what this might be named in english. So I tought I could not stop it and just plugt it of.
But I have, like you, no explanation for how this might couse battery drainig.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Had a similar problem myself I'm pretty sure its sleep mode.

Warning: If you have 25% battery left do not let it go to sleep.