android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2011, 09:01 AM

Default I'd like to buy one of these Cowons: D2+, S9 or O2. Which one? [Solved]

So, after having owned my current mp3player (Sony a828) I'm curious to own another one. I'm only after a Cowon player (this is a must). I'm not expecting to have a much better sound, but maybe a slightly different kind of sound. Cowon is known for having a superb sound, as is my Sony, so my main goal for now is to own both of them, and get the best of both worlds.

So, since I live in Sweden and well, the prices are what they are here, it's boiling down to these three players:
  1. Cowon D2+ (8 Gb) - 116,36 USD
  2. Cowon S9 (8 Gb) - 120,29 USD
  3. Cowon O2 (16 or 32 Gb) - 149,80 USD (16 Gb) / 164,93 USD (32 Gb)

Well, thing is that D2+ and O2 have slots for memory cards which the S9 doesn't. The S9 seems to be most liked player out of the three, right now, but it's "only" 8 Gb. I can live with 8 gb, but it would be nice to have a little bit more. I know you might want to say "Save for the J3 or a 32 Gb S9", but please understand that I'm a student and therefore on a very tight budget. The J3 or a bigger S9 is not possible right now.

I have read the review about O2, but since it's both a bit old (and newer firmwares are ou there) and the price was a lot more than it is now, I still included it since for the price I can buy it, it might still be a nice catch. I'm a computer science student, and very used to complex and stupid UIs (NAV is a nightmare), so the stupid UI of O2 is nothing that scares me off.

MP3 players I already own:
  • Sony NWZ-A828. I love this little player, but a) it isn't really powerful enough to really give that little extra punch b) I'm curious of the "Cowon-sound".

Portable amps:
  • fiio e5 (most probably another one in the future, when and if I can find a good deal)

Headphones:
  • Klipsch S4 (I don't use these so often)
  • Audio Technica ATH-M50 (my main ones I use daily)
  • AKG K412P (to be honest, they are very good sounding despite being more of budget phones)
  • AKG K450 (stopped using these when I bought the M50's.

I will buy more headphones in the future. Most probably a set of Sennheiser IE8, or some other high quality IEMs. I'd also like to buy another couple of good circumaurals, or maybe the AIAIAI TMA-1 DJ. The only thing certain is that I'm looking to have more headphones and IEMs for different kinds of music and situations.

Music styles:
  • Hiphop
  • Electro
  • Pop
  • Rock (think more like maybe radiohead and not metal)

My priorities for a player:
  1. Capacity in terms of putting good sound through my M50. I'd rather not use my E5, but if I need to, I'm not afraid of using it.
  2. Capacity in terms of bytes. 8Gbs is a lot, but 8 or 16 + memory card is a lot more.

I mainly listen to MP3s, but I'm not afraid of starting to use FLAC or OGG. I never watch videos on the go, so video capacity and screen quality is really no concern for me - at all. Tactile buttons are a plus, but I'm not afraid of picking it out of my pocket to change song or volume. Design and having a good looking UI is of no importance to me, and to be quite honest, I love the looks of the D2+ (imo a much better looking player than S9, J3 or D3 which looks more like smartphones than mp3players). O2 is quite nice looking as well.

I guess most will say "go for the S9", but I just to make sure that I'm not losing out on anything by NOT choosing the O2 (with so much capacity in terms of bytes). Surely it can't still be that bad nowadays? Can it?

In short: which one is the most suitable player for me?

Please don't hesitate to ask me anything relevant about my usage of PMPs, gear or music, if I've forgotten anything.

Edit: I forgot to add that the ability of games and other stuff like that is of no importance to me. I have a PSP, if I would want to play games on the go. I have a laptop if I need to write stuff, and so on.

Last edited by Mach; 04-02-2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Bought and received the J3

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tags
choice, cowon, d2, o2, s9