android
  #1  
Old 03-05-2011, 09:36 PM
briant1234's Avatar
briant1234 briant1234 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 155
Default how to set a preset in the FM radio?

i just got my j3, and read the manual provided on the cd. i cant seem to find a way to make presets in the FM radio. can somebody help?
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 03-05-2011, 10:14 PM
DSperber DSperber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by briant1234 View Post
i just got my j3, and read the manual provided on the cd. i cant seem to find a way to make presets in the FM radio. can somebody help?
When you are in radio mode, using the FF or REW to scan, or the radio dial to manually tune, tune to a channel you'd like to add to your presets.

Then tap on the "lines" at the upper-left of the screen (left side of the blue title bar which also shows the frequency you're tuned to. This will reveal a new screen that supports 24 preset cells, with "+" and "X" icon at the bottom.

Tap on the "+" icon at the bottom of this screen, and it will change to the color green.

Now tap on one of the 24 cells, into which you'd like this channel to be stored as a preset. If there's already a preset previously stored in that cell, your new tap on that cell will cause the currently tuned channel to replace that older preset value. You'll get a brief popup of a green circle with a check through it. Then the popup will go away, and you'll see that the cell has now bee populated with the frequency of the channel you just stored.

To delete a preset, tap on the "X" icon at the bottom of the screen, which will now turn red. Then tap on the cell whose preset you wish to erase. You'll then get a confirmation dialog popup with a circle and an X. If you tap on the X, that's "cancel my request", meaning you've changed your mind and do not want to delete that preset. If you tap on the circle, that's the "confirm my request", meaning you give it the go-ahead to delete the preset from that cell.

The "+" and "X" at the bottom of the screen will remain green or red so that you can do more housecleaning if you want by repeating the above method. When you are done with your maintenance, just tap them again and their color will return back to default white (or light gray?) meaning the function is now inactive.

When you're done with preset maintenanance entirely, tap on the "X" at the upper-right of the screen (right side of the title bar) and you're now back at the main radio interface.

To use these presets, when in main radio presentation tap on the "preset mode" icon in the middle of the control bar at the bottom of the screen (with the REW and FF icons at left and right). Also, the radio sub-menu stripe (below the title bar at the top) will change to "preset display mode", showing you what appear almost to be two seemingly random presets above and below the currently tuned preset channel. The currently selected preset is shown in large font and in the middle. You can select either of the two channels shown above and below the current one by either tapping on them or by "scrolling" up or down on the right side.

While in preset mode if you tap on the REW or FF control icons at the bottom of the screen you'll move backward or forward through your presets, selecting either of the same two seemingly randomly presented presents shown in the sub-menu stripe above and below the currently tuned preset channel in the center. You can also tap on the previous/next preset values (in smaller font) shown above and below the current channel on the radio sub-menu stripe (where the current value is in large font in the center).

Also, if you just want to select one of your 24 presets directly (instead of moving sequentially), while in preset mode just tap on the "lines" control (left side of title bar) to once again reveal the 24-preset presentation matrix. Then just tap on whichever cell you want to go directly to. The J3 will instantly tune to that channel and return you back to main radio interface display, with that channel now appearing in the center of the sub-menu stripe (as if you'd sequentially moved to it).

Note that in preset mode you cannot use the "radio dial" control to swing through stations in manual mode. It is "stuck" at the current preset, or it can be spun clockwise or counter-clockwise to progress sequentially through your presets. If you want to use the dial for manual tuning you need to disable preset mode (by again tapping on the "preset mode" control icon in the center-bottom of the screen to exit from preset mode and return to manual tuning mode. Now the manual dial interface will again be active.

Also, note that if you're currently not in preset mode and you tap the "lines" control to get to the 24-preset cell matrix view, and you tap on one of those 24 presets to instantly tune to that channel, not only will the J3 instantly tune to that channel and return you to the main radio display, but it will also have placed you in preset tuning mode. You're no longer in manual tuning mode.

Last edited by DSperber; 03-05-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 03-05-2011, 10:49 PM
briant1234's Avatar
briant1234 briant1234 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 155
Default

thanks so much!
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 03-06-2011, 10:31 AM
briant1234's Avatar
briant1234 briant1234 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 155
Default

can you also tell me how to delete a file from the J3? (without plugging it into the computer)
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 03-06-2011, 12:25 PM
DSperber DSperber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 698
Default

Very similar to how the radio preset maintenance functions work.

First, you must browse down BY FOLDERS, not by ID3 tags. You can begin either by (a) Music -> [Folders] -> [J3] or [J3 Ext] and then navigate down through [Music], etc., or by (b) Browser and then again down until you get to the folder in which the file lives that you want to delete.

But you must get there by FOLDERS, so that the files appear with their extension visible. Browsing by ID3 tags suppresses the extension and you only see the file name.

Once you're at the folder, tap on the "X" icon on the bottom control bar. That "X" will be grayed out and unavailable if you navigate to that album folder by ID3 tag. But if the "X" is white and thus available (as it will be if you navigated by folders) when you tap it the "X" will change color from white to red, and all the other control icons down there will get grayed out.

With the "X" colored red, you're now in "delete mode".

Now tap on any file listed visibly in that folder. You'll get a popup with a circle and an X. The "X" is "cancel my delete request", if you change your mind and don't want to delete that file after all. But if you tap on the circle, you'll get a little spinning progress indicator icon, and then a few seconds later that spinning icon will disappear and the file will have been deleted. It's gone from the list of files in the folder you're looking at.

Continue with your maintenance, and when you're done deleting you once again tap on the red "X" at the bottom. It will once again return to white, and the other icons will also return from gray back to white.

If you want to delete files from more than one folder, after you finish with the first folder's maintenance you have to you first tap on the red "X" in order to re-enable the other navigation icons on that bottom bar. You then navigate using those icons to the next folder where you want to delete one or more files, and repeat the above process there. You can only delete files (using the red "X" method) in one folder at a time.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 03-06-2011, 12:34 PM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

There's this nice 'hidden' feature with Cowon's radio presets: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39525
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 03-06-2011, 02:25 PM
DSperber DSperber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
There's this nice 'hidden' feature with Cowon's radio presets: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39525
EXCELLENT INFO!

I'll have to try this, and see where the station name gets displayed... along with the frequency numbers? Instead of the frequency numbers?

Also, the idea of saving the INI file on the PC, in case you have to re-format the J3... also an excellent suggestion.

I still can't figure out what is the mechanism for displaying the "before" and "after" preset channels (in smaller font) that surround the current preset channel (in larger font). They're not the surrounding presets. They almost seem randomly selected. When you select one to become the currently tuned channel , the next one to replace it in that slot has nothing to do with anything!

Anyway, I just used the FM radio for the first time yesterday... learning about it in response to this thread's original question. I'm actually surprised it works as really well as it does, using the headphone cord as the antenna even inside my house.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 03-06-2011, 04:53 PM
briant1234's Avatar
briant1234 briant1234 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Very similar to how the radio preset maintenance functions work.

First, you must browse down BY FOLDERS, not by ID3 tags. You can begin either by (a) Music -> [Folders] -> [J3] or [J3 Ext] and then navigate down through [Music], etc., or by (b) Browser and then again down until you get to the folder in which the file lives that you want to delete.

But you must get there by FOLDERS, so that the files appear with their extension visible. Browsing by ID3 tags suppresses the extension and you only see the file name.

Once you're at the folder, tap on the "X" icon on the bottom control bar. That "X" will be grayed out and unavailable if you navigate to that album folder by ID3 tag. But if the "X" is white and thus available (as it will be if you navigated by folders) when you tap it the "X" will change color from white to red, and all the other control icons down there will get grayed out.

With the "X" colored red, you're now in "delete mode".

Now tap on any file listed visibly in that folder. You'll get a popup with a circle and an X. The "X" is "cancel my delete request", if you change your mind and don't want to delete that file after all. But if you tap on the circle, you'll get a little spinning progress indicator icon, and then a few seconds later that spinning icon will disappear and the file will have been deleted. It's gone from the list of files in the folder you're looking at.

Continue with your maintenance, and when you're done deleting you once again tap on the red "X" at the bottom. It will once again return to white, and the other icons will also return from gray back to white.

If you want to delete files from more than one folder, after you finish with the first folder's maintenance you have to you first tap on the red "X" in order to re-enable the other navigation icons on that bottom bar. You then navigate using those icons to the next folder where you want to delete one or more files, and repeat the above process there. You can only delete files (using the red "X" method) in one folder at a time.
THANKS SO MUCH! now i understand why the X was greyed out!
dftk- thanks thats an interesting feature. Must try it out when i get the time
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.