android
Old 03-05-2011, 02:38 PM

Default Best sounding in-ear phones?

I'm using the original given J3 ear-phones.. I think the bass just doesn't sound good enough. And I think in-ear phones sound better, so which one's the best? From what I've heard is "Beats by dr.dre" in-ear phones..

Let me know, thanks in advance..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-X69 View Post
... which one's the best? From what I've heard is "Beats by dr.dre" in-ear phones ...
Not sure where you heard that beats are the best but IMHO I wouldn't just pass on them, I'd run and consider yourself lucky you haven't wasted your money. For a good list to look at look here and you might want to provide more information so that others can make good recommendations, read this.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Well, the Beats are the best if you want to be "hip" and wear what's in style. However, there are far, far better IEMs for that price range. I would start with this fantastic thread that DFKT created, then from there, you can make an evaluation.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:25 PM

I currently own a Sony MDR-XB20EX in-ear phones which I'd think is the best in-ear phones Ive had so far.

Price Range: N/A (I can save up for it, if its a good earphone)
Type: IEM
Design: Hopefully like my Sony MDR-XB20EX. The earphones kinda bend sideways that only right phone fits on the right ear and vice-versa.
Location of use: mainly on the go..
Media: All range? But more of hip-hop kinds.
Source: Portable Player (Cowon J3)

Old 03-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

In the wise words of dfkt, Beats are bloated fart cannons. (Actually I think he said it in reference to skullcandy, but I hear it applies. ) Anyway, There's no doubt that Beats have a lot of bass, but they're in no way the best phones out there, and the bass is (from what I've heard, I don't own them) muddy and uncontrolled. It's just loud.

If you want a REALLY good bass-centric pair of phones, go with the Hippo VB. For 79 USD, they're phenomenal all across the board while still having big, really nice sounding bass. You can get them from the Jaben shop:

http://jaben.net/shopping2/product.p...0&bestseller=Y

And here's the ABi review of them:

http://anythingbutipod.com/2009/11/c...o-boom-review/

Much luck,

Old 03-06-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
In the wise words of dfkt, Beats are bloated fart cannons. (Actually I think he said it in reference to skullcandy, but I hear it applies. ) Anyway, There's no doubt that Beats have a lot of bass, but they're in no way the best phones out there, and the bass is (from what I've heard, I don't own them) muddy and uncontrolled. It's just loud.

If you want a REALLY good bass-centric pair of phones, go with the Hippo VB. For 79 USD, they're phenomenal all across the board while still having big, really nice sounding bass. You can get them from the Jaben shop:

http://jaben.net/shopping2/product.p...0&bestseller=Y

And here's the ABi review of them:

http://anythingbutipod.com/2009/11/c...o-boom-review/

Much luck,
I've read a lot about the Hippo VB's deep bass. However, I've also read a lot about its lack of durability. It'd be useless if it sounds amazingly great but not being durable enough I wasted a $79. So well, I'm not sure if I'd get a hippo vb if it is like what most says "undurable".

And btw, does Hippo brand owns an official website? I'd like to check them out..

Old 03-06-2011, 02:45 AM

I'd like to add that, the iem should be flat cord. Don't like my iems getting tangled up..

Old 03-06-2011, 07:31 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
... I've also read a lot about its lack of durability. ...
I haven't owned the hippo's but I doubt there any better or worse than the 3 pairs of crossroads I've owned from them which like any other product will last if you take care of them. BTW my crossroads are still in use today and they're well over 5 years old. Simply put if they fail, send them back and they'll replace them within the 1st year, good luck.

Quote:
... does Hippo brand owns an official website? I'd like to check them out
http://www.jaben.net/

Quote:
I'd like to add that, the iem should be flat cord. Don't like my iems getting tangled up..
AFAIK there isn't a decent iem on the market with flat cords and I have to believe that the level of wind noise and microphonics that flat cord resonates isn't worth any serious iem company using it on their gear ...

Old 03-06-2011, 10:35 PM

Curious question, in what scenario do you get your wires tangled? Perhaps a solution to that is better than finding a flat cord cable(which I also believe might actually give you more problems like wires more spread out = more surface area = higher level of microphonics)

Edit: Until now, I believe you haven't stated a budget.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I haven't owned the hippo's but I doubt there any better or worse than the 3 pairs of crossroads I've owned from them which like any other product will last if you take care of them. BTW my crossroads are still in use today and they're well over 5 years old. Simply put if they fail, send them back and they'll replace them within the 1st year, good luck.

http://www.jaben.net/

AFAIK there isn't a decent iem on the market with flat cords and I have to believe that the level of wind noise and microphonics that flat cord resonates isn't worth any serious iem company using it on their gear ...
Alright.. fair enough.. I guess I can go for a pair of vbs but I suppose its out of stock everywhere. Tried amazon or their official online shop. Both unavailable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinz View Post
Curious question, in what scenario do you get your wires tangled? Perhaps a solution to that is better than finding a flat cord cable(which I also believe might actually give you more problems like wires more spread out = more surface area = higher level of microphonics)

Edit: Until now, I believe you haven't stated a budget.
Whenever I'm not listening to my pmp.. I tend to keep fold em up and insert it inside my backpack. When I need to use em.. 8/10 times I took out the earphones with the wires being tangled.

Budget? I'd say I wouldn't go with anything beyond $120..

Old 03-07-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
From what I've heard is "Beats by dr.dre" in-ear phones..
Whoever said that is either ignorant or trolling.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBottles View Post
Whoever said that is either ignorant or trolling.
lol.. Well I am certainly sure they ain't trolling. Ignorant? I can't tell. From the unanimous way they're all saying how good the beats are, I was actually convinced by them. However, when I stumbled upon this site I realized theyre just another overpriced brand.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Whenever I'm not listening to my pmp.. I tend to keep fold em up and insert it inside my backpack. When I need to use em.. 8/10 times I took out the earphones with the wires being tangled.

Budget? I'd say I wouldn't go with anything beyond $120..
For the tangling part, most earphones @ ur budget will have a case for you to keep them, and so tangling should not be a problem IF you know the way to keep them.

Panasonic RP-HJE900 seems to have hiked a lot in price recently. I do not know if it is still under 120

90% of the people who swear by monsters either
1) have not listened to other earphones/headphones before (at least of the same price range)
2) have lousy source or lousy ears
3) have placebo effect - what looks nicer "sounds" nicer, fashion minded if you would say
4) plainly do not know what they are looking for in sound , as such leave it to general reviews, friends, shops to recommend.

Note: Not saying that Monster is downright lousy, its just downright not value for money

Old 03-07-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinz View Post
For the tangling part, most earphones @ ur budget will have a case for you to keep them, and so tangling should not be a problem IF you know the way to keep them.

Panasonic RP-HJE900 seems to have hiked a lot in price recently. I do not know if it is still under 120

90% of the people who swear by monsters either
1) have not listened to other earphones/headphones before (at least of the same price range)
2) have lousy source or lousy ears
3) have placebo effect - what looks nicer "sounds" nicer, fashion minded if you would say
4) plainly do not know what they are looking for in sound , as such leave it to general reviews, friends, shops to recommend.

Note: Not saying that Monster is downright lousy, its just downright not value for money
Googled Panasonic RP-HJE900 it costs around 200 bucks or so. a lil too high for my budget. But I've read reviews that the bass in this pair isn't that great in comparison to the VBs.. I'd love to get a pair of VBs but I'd hardly find a local store that sells em, even the online stores do not have any in stock atm. I'm still in dilemma between which pair of iems to get. I suppose there's no such thing as "best" pair. All has got its ups and downs.. So thats what make it difficult for me to choose. And fyi, I own a Sony MDR-XB20EX atm. Its got one of the best bass among all the iems i've had. Well previous iems were some cheap branded goods.. So yeah..

Old 03-07-2011, 09:48 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Alright.. fair enough.. I guess I can go for a pair of vbs but I suppose its out of stock everywhere. Tried amazon or their official online shop. Both unavailable. ...
They're out of stock because of their popularity but I'd email them to see how soon they will be available and if you're willing to wait is another question.

Quote:
Whenever I'm not listening to my pmp.. I tend to keep fold em up and insert it inside my backpack. When I need to use em.. 8/10 times I took out the earphones with the wires being tangled. ...
I wouldn't recommend putting any iem's inside a backpack lose, I'd use a case so that (a) they don't get tangled and (b) they don't break. Most good iem's come with a case these days, yea I know it might be a pita to case them but doing so can keep iem's safe and working for years. Don't get me wrong, I abuse mine as much as the next guy but when it comes to not wearing them I case them more than I do my daps, good luck ...

Old 03-07-2011, 09:50 AM

For tangled cords - just wrap the cord around your PMP. . .

Old 03-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post
For tangled cords - just wrap the cord around your PMP. . .
No smiley? That is a joke isn't it?

I can't think of a better way to kill a set of IEMs. You would do just as well to cut the cable. At least then you would know why they stopped working.

After I killed a few sets I came across this idea. It's cheap and effective. The larger altoids mint tin will hold my player and the IEMs. I cut a piece of felt for a little more protection. All my players and IEMs look just about new. If you take just a little care how you loosely roll them up you can just grab the buds and the rest of the cable just unrolls as you pull them out.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:17 AM

I've been doing this for years - I suggest you buy stronger IEMs. :-/

Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Administrator

I won't argue about it. You've had trouble with you phones, I haven't. I'll just say again, wrapping your IEM around your player is a genuinely bad idea.

Last edited by skip252; 03-07-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I won't argue about it. You've had trouble with you phones, I haven't. I'll just say again, wrapping your IEM around your player is a genuinely bad idea.
touché

skip btw, I agree that it's not a good idea.