android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 03-05-2011, 12:56 AM

Default RE0 with foam tips/shue olives/sony hybrids?

Hey Guys
what difference, if any, would there be in the sound if i use Soundmagic PL30 foamies/Shure Olives/Sony Hybrids?
which ones are recommended? i'd like them to last long, and, i have experienced that, the higher frequency sounds that irritate me sometimes are lowered with the small biflange tips. which of the above three replacements can give me the same result? also, any other recommendations are welcome....

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-05-2011, 07:58 AM

The foam pieces seems like they really push the highs down for the PL30's. I've never had the chance to try them out with olives. The Sony Hybrids made little difference in the sound compared to the doubleflanges that came with the PL30's. It felt like it didn't isolate much, but I have noticed something with the PL30's for my case.

Unlike my other earphones, the PL30's are picky on where they sit on my ear. The sony hybrids prefer to sit deeper, but I did not like the sound. To prevent me from doing this, I use the large ear tips.

My Meelectronics M9 like it deep, so I ended up using the small sized hybrids for them. I have also tried their thicker doubleflanges on the PL30's and i guess the thicker material acts like an inbetween for foams and single flanged tips. The highs felt a little pushed down, but not as much as the foams. They also kept the PL30's from going in too deep because of the thicker and larger second flange. They might be what you're looking for.

If you live near the mcmaster campus in hamilton, I have a spare doubleflange pair from my meelectric set that I'm not using.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:15 AM

so i should say no to foamies is it?
have u had any experience with RE0s and PL30 foamies? because i read a review where these were recommended.(cant link the review right now, because i cant find the link anymore)
what about the sony hybrid fakes/originals?which ones whould i be going for?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:13 AM

Since I have a very limited experience with Foam tips, I can only say that Sony Hybrids with RE0 are an improvement from the stock tips (single or double flanged). Isolation is much better without affecting the sound in a bad way.